When do you guys bring your wood inside?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been known to go out there at night wearing only my underwear just to get a couple pieces of wood. :D We don't have any close neighbors so my wife doesn't mind it too much.

I must have missed that one earlier. LOL I didn't need the mental imagery of a guy in the snow wearing briefs and unlaced work boots gathering wood.

Maybe I should be more considerate of my neighbors and not turn on a yard light when I'm out there again this winter.

I must have missed that one earlier. LOL I didn't need the mental imagery of a guy in the snow wearing briefs and unlaced work boots gathering wood.

Maybe I should be more considerate of my neighbors and not turn on a yard light when I'm out there again this winter.

Who said anything about wearing boots?:)

When do you guys bring your wood inside?

me? never. not even in the garage any more.

i store my wood all summer about 400 feet from the house....uncovered.

then, when i see the first geese fly south, i begin bringing it up near the house and stacking what i intend to use. this is when i'll cover it to keep the fall season's rain, snow or ice off of it.

i find this gives bugs and mice less opportunity to make comfortable homes in the wood.

i also stack it according to what i'm burning. if i have odd pieces or chunks, i'll burn those first because most early fires are just fires to take the chill out of the house. as the cold weather moves in, i'll begin using the regular stuff.

i also spent about an hour splitting up dried pine to use for kindling. you can get quite a pile in an hour.

:agree2: Same here just no geese flying over.

Mice (and others) i dont realy care, our Fox terrier has fun with them.

We experienced what it means to have bugs in your construction wood before when living in an old house. Not even talking about the structural strenght (wood is strong) but these bugs spread fast and attack anything that is wooden. Pest control was not possible anymore.

You keep finding dust everywhere, especially on the most unconvenient places and moments (dinner table while having friends over etc)

they even keep you awake during the night chewing away. And when you finally think that things are calming down and your problem is not that big.... they come out flying in their "new body status".....:mad:

I hate to think what they would do with our oak floors in our new house...

Wood is loaded in the evening in a cart that holds enough for that evening and brought inside the house in 3 "basket loads" as the evening progresses. In the morning we take the remaining pieces out of the cart and throw it in. When we come home we just add some kindling and newly brought in pieces and continue the cycle.

:cheers:

Wood is loaded in the evening in a cart that holds enough for that evening and brought inside the house in 3 "basket loads" as the evening progresses. In the morning we take the remaining pieces out of the cart and throw it in. When we come home we just add some kindling and newly brought in pieces and continue the cycle.

yep. but, i use a tupperware 18 gallon storage container to bring wood in. it's the right length for logs and most bugs, if any, have a hard time crawling up the plastic sides.

it keeps the floors clean as well.

but.....sometimes one of those flyers will spring to life and escape. just gotta keep the swatter handy just in case.

I've been known to go out there at night wearing only my underwear just to get a couple pieces of wood. :D We don't have any close neighbors so my wife doesn't mind it too much.

Uh-oh. It'll only be a matter of time til someone starts a thread titled, "Boxers or briefs: which do you wear when you go out to get wood?"

D'oh.

My nearest neighbor from that vantage point is probably 400 yards or more from me and I don't wear boots. I wouldn't want to take a chance of tripping over the laces. Imagine trying to explain that in the E.R. :biggrinbounce2:

Last year my wood was so raggedy that I had to leave it outside and bring it in a couple armloads at a time because of the multitude of various bugs in it. this year I've got much better stuff so after I start my first fire I'll stack about a weeks worth of wood in the fireplace on the patio (It's a giant, colonial style fireplace for cooking) so that I won't have to show my neighbors the embarrasing state of my underwear drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsWoodsMan

My nearest neighbor from that vantage point is probably 400 yards or more from me and I don't wear boots. I wouldn't want to take a chance of tripping over the laces. Imagine trying to explain that in the E.R.

the wife picked these up for me to bring in wood this winter. no laces for me to try and tie or trip on.. :D
oh and boxers for me ;) i like the chill.....

crocs.jpg

Last edited:
My Old house, like many up here in Maine has allot of add-on building. From the fish tote next too the cookstove in the kitchen too the "summer" kitchen where there are 2 large tater crates of wood too the attached barn where the main stash goes. I also have a glassed in sun porch with a couple more potato crates with premo wood for special occasions. (apple wood for fireplaces)

The fish totes are very handy. Big enough too carry or slide a good load. One covers my splitter engine and does bark/chip duty too.

I've got about 2 cord in the barn at the moment. I've been doing 5- 10 wheelbarrow loads a day when it's not wet.

Latest posts

Back