When I saw it I just had to buy it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just going to pick up some bar oil at a local Dolmar dealer, when I saw a saw.:D I'll try her out on Sunday after I watch some football. I'll let you all know what I think after I use it some, so far it looks to be a well made tool. However I don't know if I like the Stihl type master lever switch. They also had a little Homelite ez sitting on the floor, I said how much they said take it. The piston looks good and it starts, i'll see if it has any power in a day or two.

Andy, did I see that right? You got the Dolmar and the old Homelite sitting on the living room carpet in front of the stereo?

It's easier for my thumb to push down than up.
I'm not sure if it is a problem or just the way Dolmar made the on off switch, but my switch is quite a bit stiffer than my Stihls'.

Yes the switch is bassackwards, but it is stiff, which means solid, unlike the Husky choke levers on the 372 and 346 which are wimpy and pop out of place easily.

The 5100 is one well built machine. Here's mine, the first ever fully built one....just like my 346, it has 40-60% more power than stock. Ed Heard is the man!

attachment.php

Spike you are correct, however I did clean the Homelite before I set it on the carpet.:cheers: The switch on my 5100 is not that stiff, it just feels a bit awkward to use. rbtree I'm going to have Ed work his magic on the saw, just a woods mod no pipe, nice pic BTW looks warm.

I Had a chance to run the saw today. It's a very strong runner, it has much more power and speed than my 353, it's also the smoothest saw I have ever run. However it doesn't seem to idle correctly, after I make a cut the saw seems to idle to fast, not so fast the chain keeps spinning, but almost, about 3800 RPM. It takes about 20 sec before it will slow to about 3000 RPM, I try'd to adjust the carburetor, but If I turn the H out the saw runs to rich and will stall if you tip the saw down. What do you all think? air leak?

Thank's Andy.

Last edited:
spike60 said:
Andy, did I see that right? You got the Dolmar and the old Homelite sitting on the living room carpet in front of the stereo?

wOULDNT BE ANY POINT PUTTING THEM BEHIND THE STEREO, WOULD THERE?

Hah, I found the caps lock.....

Nice saw you got there. I need to get a Dolmar and try it....been hearing too many good things about them. You've got a nice looking Homelite too..I've got the same saw.

Well I took my 5100s back to the dealer today, he ran my saw and made a few cuts with it and the saw started acting up, he said it has an ignition problem. They took a new saw off the shelf:rock: fueled it up, ran it and said this one is working properly. So out the door I went with my second new 5100. When he ran the saw it did sound better then the one I had, hopefully this one will work out for me.

Andyshine77 said:
Well I took my 5100s back to the dealer today, he ran my saw and made a few cuts with it and the saw started acting up, he said it has an ignition problem. They took a new saw off the shelf:rock: fueled it up, ran it and said this one is working properly. So out the door I went with my second new 5100. When he ran the saw it did sound better then the one I had, hopefully this one will work out for me.

Well THATS a dealer to support.
Any manufacturer can have a problem, its how its resolved thats important.

Enjoy the saw!:pumpkin2:

Back