when is a fuel mixture considered old?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexiK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What do you consider the length of time for a fuel/mixture to be old? Sitting in the saw that is hard to start for one year: more-than-likely? Sitting in its container for 4 months waiting to be used: still o.k.?

should have done the Google search before posting the above. the self life is not as long as I had hoped. dumping out the unused fuel in the saw today.

What do you consider the length of time for a fuel/mixture to be old? Sitting in the saw that is hard to start for one year: more-than-likely? Sitting in its container for 4 months waiting to be used: still o.k.?
My mix in the can is now crap after 3 months I now have to dump it in the truck and get fresh gas. I am talking pump gas with ethanol . Real pain to keep doing this.

Too many variables to give a specific answer. Type of fuel, storage container, and weather all play a part. Could be 3 months could be 2+ years. Any ethonal fuel won't last as long as straight gas, which won't last as long as caned fuels. Plastic fuel cans don't do anything to help prevent fuel degradation, sealed metal can will extend fuel life. If it's stored in an area that isn't temp controlled it will degrade much faster as well.

I siphoned the old fuel mixture out of my chainsaw that was hard(almost impossible) to start, put in a small amount of fuel mixture from this past autumn, the saw started right up after two pulls. I am now a believer in fresh-as-possible fuel.

With fuel stabilizer in it and in a sealed container, I find that E10 premix is good for 2-3 months.

I use up my old premix in the log splitter or lawn tractor rather than in the truck. The truck has catalytic converters and emissions sensors that might be affected by the two stroke oil, while the splitter and lawn tractor don't. I'm not saying its known to cause problems, just being cautious.

should have done the Google search before posting the above. the self life is not as long as I had hoped. dumping out the unused fuel in the saw today.
Without add, 30-days, pershops/ MFR; but I put STABIL in cans before filling at station with NON-E, then use for mower, and add 2-cycle oil as I mix for chainsaw/ weeder; generally buying fresh 2x5-gal or 3x5-gal x 2-3/year? So oldest may get to 6-12-months, depending on E-GEN Needs? STABIL AND 2-CYCLE OIL MAKES huge/ huge difference

I siphoned the old fuel mixture out of my chainsaw that was hard(almost impossible) to start, put in a small amount of fuel mixture from this past autumn, the saw started right up after two pulls. I am now a believer in fresh-as-possible fuel.
MANY shops now recommend draining and adding small amount of PREMIX canned fuel and run a minute to get into carb before STORAGE?

I only mix a gallon of gas at a time so it doesnt get too old on me.
I dump it in the car and mix up a new gallon if it gets more than a month or two old.
I have a ratio rite measuring cup and a gas jug marked at the height for one gallon to make mixing small amounts easy.

I only mix a gallon of gas at a time so it doesnt get too old on me.
I dump it in the car and mix up a new gallon if it gets more than a month or two old.
I have a ratio rite measuring cup and a gas jug marked at the height for one gallon to make mixing small amounts easy.
Plus non ethanol only. last a long time

Plus non ethanol only. last a long time
I’ve had non ethanol in my boat for two years and cranks right up. It holds 60 gallons. But I wouldn’t in a chainsaw Or other small engines. It lasts longer than most people think. Especially treated with Stabil.

My mix in the can is now crap after 3 months I now have to dump it in the truck and get fresh gas. I am talking pump gas with ethanol . Real pain to keep doing this.
Mine also. Non ethanol fuel is no longer available here. It is the death of more carbs than I can count. Clogs inner ports and passages in a carb that refuse to be cleaned. Even with my Vevor 15L ultrasonic cleaner with all the welch plugs removed.
I put stale fuel in my 55 gal oil drain barrel. I have a neighbor who has a furnace that burns used drain oil, transmission fluid, etc. The furnace heats a 40x70 building. When the barrel is full he gets it. OT :cool:

Three months two saws had water in them. Pretty common now days on E10 gas.
My old man has my 026 at his place. Last time I had it back it had water in the fuel. He buys whatever gas and doesn't use any stabilizers. He also stores it in a shop that sees some pretty wild temp swings from being heated part time. So that doesn't help any.

Back