when is a fuel mixture considered old?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use steel safety cans, which are sealed, and ethanol free fuel, with stabil.

I’ve used this fuel that’s two years old before. Still ran okay.

More typically though, a batch of mix doesn’t make it more than a few months.

My father used to run e-10 with whatever 2-cycle oil he happened to have. No stabilizer, conventional open plastic cans…. His 026 would fire up and run fine, with the three year old fuel the tank had in it when he put it away. I have no idea how he never had any carb trouble with his saw. He definitely did on his trimmer and blower though.

Since my saws get occasional use I've gone strictly to canned fuel. If we get a big storm and I have to do a lot of cutting might have to use pump gas. Have a Casey's that used to sell ethanol free 93 octane but they stopped. Really would like to avoid ethanol but their is no source that I know of right now. Canned fuel won't work for everyone but so far I can justify the cost.

Non ethanol is not the cure all. I am seeing water in that also. The issue is that it sits at the station too long in this area.
I have the first lawnmower repair book I bought in the early 70s. It has a picture of a small fuel tank showing layers of fuel, water and rust in the tank. Ethanol wasn't even a word then. Fuel needs to be used up in a reasonable time (90 days).
Also, many never clean out the fuel can and some fuel gets left in, That is where the water is.
But then again, water does make shops money.

Non ethanol is not the cure all. I am seeing water in that also. The issue is that it sits at the station too long in this area.
I have the first lawnmower repair book I bought in the early 70s. It has a picture of a small fuel tank showing layers of fuel, water and rust in the tank. Ethanol wasn't even a word then. Fuel needs to be used up in a reasonable time (90 days).
Also, many never clean out the fuel can and some fuel gets left in, That is where the water is.
But then again, water does make shops money.
Yes, water can be present in fuel cans containing E-free, as well. Any air that gets into any container of fuel will eventually have its humidity condense and fall to the bottom of the can. This is why I usually leave the last 1/2 cup or so at the bottom of the can, refill the can with fresh fuel, use it up except for the last little bit of gas, repeat, and then (after doing this a few times) end up filtering the gas through a water/debris filter.

The best thing to do is what others have mentioned: store your gas in a metal, airtight container if you plan to keep it for a while. E-free can store that way for at least a year, especially if you add a good stabilizer. I'm currently storing stabilized 91 Octane, E-free gas in metal drums to see how long it will store. I'm guessing I can get 3 years+ out of it, but only time will tell.

Yes, water can be present in fuel cans containing E-free, as well. Any air that gets into any container of fuel will eventually have its humidity condense and fall to the bottom of the can. This is why I usually leave the last 1/2 cup or so at the bottom of the can, refill the can with fresh fuel, use it up except for the last little bit of gas, repeat, and then (after doing this a few times) end up filtering the gas through a water/debris filter.

The best thing to do is what others have mentioned: store your gas in a metal, airtight container if you plan to keep it for a while. E-free can store that way for at least a year, especially if you add a good stabilizer. I'm currently storing stabilized 91 Octane, E-free gas in metal drums to see how long it will store. I'm guessing I can get 3 years+ out of it, but only time will tell.
I'm doing similar "test" just with Jerry cans of fuel. 55 gal drum is too much to waste for a trial purpose.

No way of knowing how old it is when you get it. Best to buy it from a busy gas station. Fuel stabilizers are snake oil IMO. I buy 20 gallons of non E at a time and run my equipment. In the summer it's easier. It takes five gallons to cut the grass so it gets used. I also run my two generators every month.. When I remember.:innocent:

I generally go by the smell. And if it won't start. But, for the past 2-3 years now, I've been treating my small engine gasoline with the Stabil Marine 360 at double the label rate. I also add an ounce per gallon of SeaFoam. Since I've been doing that, I've had absolutely ZERO fuel related issues with any of my OPE. Everything has been starting right up, no matter how long it has sat unused. I just add the Stabil and the SeaFoam to the empty cans before I head to the gas station.

Not scientific proof, but it seems to be working.

I generally go by the smell. And if it won't start. But, for the past 2-3 years now, I've been treating my small engine gasoline with the Stabil Marine 360 at double the label rate. I also add an ounce per gallon of SeaFoam. Since I've been doing that, I've had absolutely ZERO fuel related issues with any of my ***. Everything has been starting right up, no matter how long it has sat unused. I just add the Stabil and the SeaFoam to the empty cans before I head to the gas station.

Not scientific proof, but it seems to be working.
I can tell its junk by they way saws run.

IIRC, an opened bottle of Sta-Bil also "goes bad" eventually, just like the gas it treats...don't know the shelf life, though.

I believe you want to keep the bottle tightly sealed and shield it from light after it's opened...

My motto is: "The manufacturer knows best!"

Stihl recommends that no fuel mix (or part of it) older than 6 weeks should be used in their equipment. I religiously mark my "mix date" and "discard date" on some masking tape on my fuel can to be certain that I don't use stale fuel. Tape is changed when I mix fresh fuel. Never have a problem with this method. Proper peace of mind!

My 2c,

Mike

Attachments

• 21a4e66a-af30-4f40-8af2-a6ae3dceb56f.jpg
    21a4e66a-af30-4f40-8af2-a6ae3dceb56f.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm doing similar "test" just with Jerry cans of fuel. 55 gal drum is too much to waste for a trial purpose.
Awesome! Yeah, I figure once I smell(?) it starting to go off, I'll dump it in the cars. I have most of my family living here, so we could use that 55 gallons pretty quick.

I use these water eliminators in my gas tanks, takes the water out, even works on E gas to remove water. Use a different one for diesel fuel.
61cGS3xfMSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use these water eliminators in my gas tanks, takes the water out, even works on E gas to remove water. Use a different one for diesel fuel.
61cGS3xfMSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I have seen them advertised for bulk fuel tanks. Think they were more like a sock, much longer. Didn't know they made smaller versions.

My motto is: "The manufacturer knows best!"

Stihl recommends that no fuel mix (or part of it) older than 6 weeks should be used in their equipment. I religiously mark my "mix date" and "discard date" on some masking tape on my fuel can to be certain that I don't use stale fuel. Tape is changed when I mix fresh fuel. Never have a problem with this method. Proper peace of mind!

My 2c,

Mike
Well enter another problem how long was the gas sitting at the station? That's why I go to hi use gas stations.

I have seen them advertised for bulk fuel tanks. Think they were more like a sock, much longer. Didn't know they made smaller versions.
These are for gas cans and tanks, in the winter when I fill spare gas cans, like for my generator, I pop one in and switch it out to another can when I use the gas. In the summer I use gas in the zero turn so I switch out gas so no need for the water collection pods. I use the big water collection pods in my diesel fuel tanks along with conditioners and keep the fuel tanks full on the equipment so there is little room for condensation to form.

Back