when is a fuel mixture considered old?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well enter another problem how long was the gas sitting at the station? That's why I go to hi use gas stations.
Hey, LW!

Raw fuel is good for much longer than mixed fuel. As long as the station has a reasonably high fuel turnover, you should never get fuel that is stale enough to cause problems. It's important that we make the disctinction between raw fuel and mixed.

Hope this helps!

Mike

No way of knowing how old it is when you get it. Best to buy it from a busy gas station. Fuel stabilizers are snake oil IMO. I buy 20 gallons of non E at a time and run my equipment. In the summer it's easier. It takes five gallons to cut the grass so it gets used. I also run my two generators every month.. When I remember.:innocent:
Not snake oil. They contain anti-oxidants and emulsifiers. Legitimate chemical compounding.

Hey, LW!

Raw fuel is good for much longer than mixed fuel. As long as the station has a reasonably high fuel turnover, you should never get fuel that is stale enough to cause problems. It's important that we make the disctinction between raw fuel and mixed.

Hope this helps!

Mike
What are talking about? Mixed fuel doesn't last any less then straight gas, typically longer depending on the oil used.

I have a question for you is non E pump gas winter gas now too like E gas? If this **** keeps up im going to to spend 120.00 and get 5 gallons of VP 94.
It would say yes. I think they switch to winter blend sometime in November. Been a pretty mild winter though, I don't really know what the criteria is for switching.

It would say yes. I think they switch to winter blend sometime in November. Been a pretty mild winter though, I don't really know what the criteria is for switching.
I think you got it about right. My dad used to work for a local fuels/lubricants supplier (Sunoco then Citgo) and that's about what he said... the switchover happened whenever the product came in on the pipeline.

We sold TORO and Wheelhorse. In the owners manuals it said only use fuel less than 90 days old. this was four stroke equipment. I know alot will disagree, but ask any tech in a shop what the most common issue is. Bad fuel.
But then again, bad fuel makes shops money.

I mix fuel in 1-gallon cans. I use Remax oil, which I believe has a stabilizer (oil thread!). I use up the mix quickly so I never worry about it being old.

I have pushed things as far as maybe 4-5 months with regular ethanol pump gas 87 octane before, by accident, by not using one of the gallon cans...misplaced it. I don't notice much difference, but I don't have a finely tuned ear.

I'm not afraid to throw away gas if in question.

What do you consider the length of time for a fuel/mixture to be old? Sitting in the saw that is hard to start for one year: more-than-likely? Sitting in its container for 4 months waiting to be used: still o.k.?

should have done the Google search before posting the above. the self life is not as long as I had hoped. dumping out the unused fuel in the saw today.
back when Biden first got into office, i bought a bunch of jerry cans, put Star-Tron in and filled up with E-free 91(close to $200 back then). with no issues. I have refilled them all including my plastic 5 gal jugs too. I pulled my plug last week on my G666 saw I have been CM with for the last 2yrs @ 32:1 with Shaeffer's 9000, and no carbon on top of piston either. and every time i mix my gas i pour some Star-Tron in too. i think it helps

No way of knowing how old it is when you get it. Best to buy it from a busy gas station. Fuel stabilizers are snake oil IMO. I buy 20 gallons of non E at a time and run my equipment. In the summer it's easier. It takes five gallons to cut the grass so it gets used. I also run my two generators every month.. When I remember.:innocent:
Same here. I burn a lot in the summer. Mow March - November.

If you use ASPEN Professional Small Engine fuel you can leave it sit in your chain saw for 5 years
with no worry of deterioration or damage to fuel system components. It has been on the market
in Sweden for over 35 years. Also no cancer causing agents in the exhaust.

Latest posts

Back