When rebuilding a saw, how do you guys go about flushing out the crankcase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer42

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Decided im not going to split the case on this Stihl that im rebuilding and want to clean up the exterior of the case. I was planning on just throwing it in the parts washer, cleaning everything off but then realized that i dont want to get alot of saw dust in the crankcase. I also want to get whatever debris is already in the crankcase out, What do you guys do when cleaning them out? I dont plan on splitting the case, just want to clean the crankcase where the crank/bearings are sitting so there is no dirt/grime in there.

Yeah, i know the best way is to split the case to know that everything is clean or remove the seals to clean out the bearings etc. Im not going to pull apart the lower end on this saw though, so i just figured id clean out the case with a solvent.

I remove the flywheel, clutch, carb, plastics, etc and plug the intake and exhaust. I give the saw a good scrubbing with purple cleaner and a parts cleaning brush. Then hose it off. Repeat 2-3 times, then blow the saw off with air. Then immediatly pull the jug and seals. Flush with Wd-40 from the inside to the outside. Give everthing a nice coat of WD.

The secrect is to get the saw decently clean BEFORE pulling the jug. Also know how to remove the seals before you get the saw wet. You don't want to risk the bearings getting wet and staying wet while you're screwing around trying to remove the seals.

Latest posts

Back