When saws meet skin.....Not good....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl n Wood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
View attachment 285306View attachment 285307View attachment 285308View attachment 285309View attachment 285310

Ok sorry for the double of one pic but this is what happens when things go wrong!!! Two of my fellow workers got it bad this year. They both had surgery on there parts to fix tendons and nerves!!! First up a cut to the finger from a 201t doing bucket work and the chain had not stopped spinning and accidentally ran into his finger. The second was life threatening and was a crane pick gone wrong. A giant pine top was side loaded driving the butt into the climber mid cut, driving the saw into his upper arm. This was by a ms460 running RSC!! He was medflight from the scene with lot's of blood loss..these guys have been around tree's for a long time. Even though it can happen to any of us!! Just want people to realize what these machines can do and respect them. Try to stay safe out there guys and girls.....

View attachment 285326View attachment 285327
First one was using a 395 and 28" bar limbing a small pine tree and it kicked an missed steels toe boot and chaps right off. Second was in the shop with a fresh rebuilt saw that was barely spun up, reached for to grab the screwdriver for carb adjustment, slipped and bumped it with my foot. Couple ruptured tendons and tons of nerve damage

To me, I keep it close to me. In my thoughts on every move I make. When im up 80feet running anything from my climbing saws to 660s its right with me!!! You don't really know for sure what a tree is going to do! You can make the bes cut possible hoping the outcome is going to be what you expect. But unfortunately that's not always the case....

uhhh......looks like he stuck his arm in a shark tank. I'm very lucky never to have had a chainsaw wound like that and it really makes you think. In the tree biz the things that can kill you can be many... from the saw in your hands, the heights you climb the chippers and grinders, work lines, hangers and widow makers, but then again you can walk down the street and get hit by a car....Just please keep your eyes open and make good choices don't work outside a safe and comfortable pace check your gear and equipment and double check your knots and your notch and please dont end up in the E.R! BE SAFE FELLAS!!:rock:

Thanks for snapping me out of my complacency !:(

Dear golly, you said it right. After those picks:( I think Im gonna not be able to sleep right for awhile. I had one hit the toe of my boot the other day, I had just rebuilt a 346xp for a guy, ran outside and fire'd her up. Proceeded to almost chop my toes off, thank god I put my boots on and not my sneakers when I ran outside. Stay safe fellas

Last edited:
I work for the D.O.T. up here in Maine .When I first started in 1989 we had an annual chainsaw safety class for all new people. Every year we had an area E.R doctor come in with fresh saw mishap photos from minor cuts to fatal's felling and limbing accidents to a barber chair photo. A guy suspended dead in the woods with the stump splinter holding him 6 feet off the ground through the jaw and out the top of his head. A ford 8n that was skidding a tree and did a back flip trapping the operator upside down in a muddy puddle dead.Eye opening.

That's some bad happenings right there my friend. I remember when I started climbing and getting into the tree biz, my farther telling me a horror story of logging one day and his friend was topping a tree and the saw kicked back and he died right there on his flip line..probably the thing I think about most making my cuts while climbing. Although its a horrible thing it just keeps me in check. Ive seen some bad cuts too. That arm injury above, my friend had to wait for the ball to come back to him and he held onto the tree with that bad arm to put his flipline thru the hook. Seconds after doing so he passed out from blood loss. I didn't mean to start a gruesome thread, but spring is here and everyone will soon be going full tilt again. Just wanna make sure we all think before we make our cuts...and for that matter everthing that goes with our trade. ...

uggblaaablook...thats the sound of puking my breakfast up i think. Hate to see people get hurt but it does help to show others to bring it into perspective. I always point out to careless people that wood is much harder than skin and that saw doesnt even slow down cutting wood.

Back