Where did your brand bias come from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfincr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Throughout the time i have been on here i've read a lot of very strong opinions about the manufacturers which piques my curiosity.

I find myself always leaning toward stihls, since its what i grew up with and generally its the brand of saw that lands in my lap 9 times out of 10.

So how did your bias develop?

Dealers and the lack there of......I've had both Husqvarna and Stihl power equipment over the years but Husqvarna dealers that were near by are gone.

I started out with a Skil brand saw (small one) then when we were seeking info for a larger saw, my uncle suggested Stihl as he said they are a known reliable saw. So based on his recommendation we bought a new Stihl 026 in 1989. I still use it on every tree job I do. Since then I have had a total of about 60 saws of which I ran more than 50 of. The brands included Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan, Echo, Craftsman, etc. Based on my actual use of other brands, I gradually culled my line-up of everything but Stihl. I still purchase and own other brands but usually flip them after I use them a while. I don't "hate" any brand of saw but prefer Stihls for a number of reasons. I don't purport them to be the only useful brand out there because that just isn't true. Just as I drive GMC trucks and wouldn't even consider a Dodge, there are others with the opposite view.

I started with a 350 husky. Then bought pro stihls 044 and 460. Then bought a 372xpw off eBay and then started buying more pro huskies. I'm even right now at 2 and 2. I have about as good of husky dealers and stihl dealers.

Pricing, performance (YouTube cutting times), and ergonomics all tipped the scales for Husky. These were my preferences, and fortunately I don't think I know enough to have a bias.

Like Chevy, Winchester, and US Army, I grew up on Stihls.

That's just the way it is. Though I like running other stuff too, I mainly stick to those brands for commonality.

I started off with stihl, but running a 346 against a 260 got me into husky, I prefer husky, but currently own more stihls, as the big old metal ones are the dogs!

My brand bias is due to the lack of experience with brands other than Poulan, Husky or Stihl. My bias is subject to change.

My FIL and BILs had Stihls so when I started hanging around dating my wife a had to fit in.:cool: It was solidified by work. All the city uses is Stihl blowers,weedeaters and saws.:chainsaw:I have a good relationship with my dealer and that helps too. :rock:

I'm biased towards any machine that works long & well and doesn't bleed you of $. Living almost next door to the original Homelite factory, and using a variety of REAL Homies working with a tree crew for college summers, there's probably some bias there. The object is gone. Current Homies induce vomiting. :p

Having worked some Echos & Poulans mercilessly for 30+ years, they're high on my list. Some others continue to earn respect. For years I just picked up whatever saw appealed to me at a PX or NEX I was visiting.

Dealers around here mean nothing, a-holes for techs and no parts inventory; different story up-river and up the coast. DIY and do it right first time.

I'm a freakin' Stihl dealer and I'm not as brand biased as many folks on the interwebs... I have Husky and McClloch in my personal stable. I have respect for all the competition, if it can compete. There are some very good saws from many different manufacturers and that's a good thing. I've done all my professional cutting with Husky saws, but I have no interest in being a dealer for them. I much prefer dealing with Stihl on business related decisions.

I'm 53 and have been humping firewood since I was 8. One of my uncles was/is a pro logger. He went from Macs to Jonsereds in the very early seventies. Now he runs Huskies. I don't know all there is to know about saws, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a better made saw than a Jonsreds in 1972. My father bought the 52 in my sig in about 74. The seals were replaced in about 79, and I replaced some rubber mounts in 2010. I love that saw. I used it yesterday. I have nothing against Huskies, but prefer a straight handle. The closest dealers sell Stihls and I ran one for a day. Not a bad saw, but if I were to buy a new saw today, it would most likely be a red, straight handled Husky.

I ran old Poulans for over 20 years. Then one day bout 14 years ago I head to the saw shop to buy a Stihl, supposed to be the best right? Well the dealer had two brands and I picked up a 346xp and could not put it down! I didn't even know what a Husqvarna was, but I sure bought one...

Back