Where do I go to find rebuildable saws..Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Crazy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a couple of saws like a Stihl 044 Mag, 038 Mag or Super, and Jonsered's from the mid 80's too the early 90's for years on the Jonsereds.. Only looking for a rebuilders.I do not know where to go .. My dealers will not sell there saws becouse they use them for parts .. E-Bay I bought saws from there and got took alot,so I gave on e-bay for good.. Anyways Any links,phone numbers,web sites anything to lead me in the right way will greatly help. Or if you have one please let me know..

My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks for looking
Jake

Last edited:
I gotta say ebay. If you're looking to rebuild, then buy a parts saw. Set a limit and don't pay more than that. There's burned up, worn out gems out there. And if you're wanting to rebuild, heck, you can buy several parts saws and put them together.

If you're dead set agains ebay, put an add in the paper. There's a guy here that runs an add in the paper every week for old saws. And check pawn shops. Like I said, if you're looking for a fixer-upper set your price limit and then buy saws cheaper than that. Since you're not looking for a ready saw out the door, you needn't worry about getting a saw in perfect shape, and that allows you alot of room to buy. JMO.

Jeff

Yes,dead set against ebay period....But I do buy parts there ..and only parts..I just took one too many times on there project saws..
I fix them up for fun only it is my hobby and I want to collect them for fun. As for running a ad yes I have done that no call's or they are Poulan's-( NO WAY) or some off the wall saw.I ran adds for months on end in all local paper covering 60 miles worth.. Farm Papers and etc.I never get any call's most of the time they ask me to fix there saws I say yes I can.If I can find the parts and most of them are poulan's or some off the wall make shift name.. As for dealers good luck trying to get one out of them if it needs work they say ( I am keeping just in case I need parts off of it)... I even called places as far as 150 miles away from me and they say the same thing...I do have a blue book on what they are worth running in good shape..I got from a friend..A dealer..One last thing I forgot is where I live there is hardly trees. Only farms and towns have trees.. In General most ppl around here buy the wal-mart specials for 100-150 as for the older ones it is mainly homelites...Why I know I reapair them for ppl around here,The only dealer around is a Case-IH tractor dealer sells stihl's.. And the John deere dealer will not stock there saws,beouse everyone wants to spend as little as they can on a saw and will not buy anything with good quality.The Husky dealers in my area now sells Poulan Pro's.It sucks I tell you.. That is why I have a VERY HARD time finding any Husky,Stihl or Jony saws for projects.........I reall need your help findiing them..

Last edited:
If you refuse to use eBay, the only other thing I can suggest is pawn shops, but even they won't normally take something that doesn't run, so you won't really have much rebuilding to do. The vast majority of dead saws are either sold on eBay, or traded off to the dealer for parts when it is brought it, the repair bill is too high, so they give the guy a credit for it when buying a new one. Or loggers/tree services keep them for their own parts use. Sounds like if you won't use eBay, you are not going to have much luck finding saws.

We don't have pawn shops here ..I had a dealer that did sell me fixer upppers for 25-75 each that was like 4 years ago ...But he has past away and he was 90 miles away from me too...I know ppl got them but most of them put them on e-bay and real good money out of them.. It is crazy ..Yes some times you get a good deal on e-bay.. Plus I shut down my paypal account too..I just had luck with e-bay..(Buy the seller not being truthful)I wish I had better luck with e-bay...There got to ppl out there selling project saws not on e-bay some where...I hope...

Thanks for you time
Jake

Last edited:
Well if eBay is out, the newspaper isn't producing anything, you have no pawnshops, the only thing left pretty much is farm auctions, garage sales. You really are leaving out the largest source of rebuildable saws by giving up on eBay. Yes you can get burned there, but if you are trying to rebuild it, then use your head and bid smart. Unless you are just looking for something that only needs a sparkplug changed and a carb kit, there is lots to rebuild on there. To me, the term rebuild means you are getting a little more in depth, like tearing the engine down, replacing bearings and seals, new cylinder and piston kit etc, which most saws on eBay could be. You have to know what you are looking at and be able to sift through the bs and half truths.

Well I will try e-bay again..The farm auctions and garage sales all are mostly homelites poulans or off the wall name POS's :censored: ..lol..I tell everyone this area suck for saws ..But if anyone has any Husky's Stihl's or Jony's as projects let me know..And Maybe work out a deal ..:D

Thanks You For your time
Jake

Try setting a limit as to what the saw is worth to you, and don't go too far over it if it is being bid up. If someone wants it that badly, let them have it. You may need to collect 2 or 3 of the same model to build one complete running saw. Don't be too impatient, take your time, and try to find the auctions for what you want that don't seem to be attracting all the bids. Bidding on there is based upon what people want and need and goes from high to lower periods of activity. If you are careful and patient, you can still get decent deals on parts and rebuilder saws on there, but you have to know when to quit, and carefully evaluate what they are selling and what you are willing to pay for it.

Im begining to think buying used saws to fix is about like a crap shoot. If the saw doesn't have compression then that means more than likely you need new cylinder and piston. Then if you buy used parts or a parts saw more than likely they're going to be worn out or nearly worn out. Seems like to me used saws are pretty iffy.

I do not mind going threw a chainsaw like a new cylinder and pistion and gaskets.. I never use used parts I will not take the risk.. Like I said it is a hobby not like I am going use it every day..lol..

Jake

Well about the only thing I would not buy used is pistion and ring .. Only if I had no choice at all I would go used

Last edited:
How many you want? There are litteraly tons of used 44's around here sitting underneath the work benches in logger's and faller's shops. One of my old bosses probably has around 10. No one around here has used a 44 for work since the 46 was introduced in the mid 90's.

I want 4 or so. Please pm me the wife is onto my e-mail. I tried to buy a 372 and she caught me because of e-mail. She is from a logging family and knows I only have one husky. A 2101. Hard to explain that away if she sees it.

Fred

I love the 044.

Like I said I will ask around and see if anyone wants to part with them. They have them, but what they want to do with them or what they want for them I don't know, but I will ask. If they will part with them, can't promise the condition. I will find out and get back. There are plenty, but like I said I will see. Hopefully I didn't get hopes up by opening my mouth.

Back