Where Have All The Good Saws Gone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About five years ago I had no competition in my area and had my pick of saws. Now there's twelve guys within 80 miles of me doing e-bay full time because they aren't fit to hold a regular job (medical marijuana card holders) and they snap everything up. So I've basically given up on finding any deals locally.

Heck, at least they're not still cutting. How do you get that card?

:msp_lol: I wonder how many folks are going to understand the joke?

Keep checking in ever so often and see if we ever get the yoke man. I like the spanish avi chic more than the inside yoke. ;)

there out there, you just gotta look, and strike like lightning sometimes.

I could have had a complete with b/c 3400 countervibe for 10 bux this weekend. I passed.

My friend scraps, and he found an 029S in the trash this year. :)

But the whores are out there. It happens to everything. I used to build T5 transmissions and ebay just got flooded with them, finding good used parts became impossible, and new got wicked expensive, so i stopped.

oh yeah, could have had a 357xp for 175 bux i saw on CL about a month ago but I passed. It was funny, the place was one block from where I work , lol. I never knew it was there. Time to stop by again!

I'm not sure on the theory of people snapping them up ahead of me, I scan the ads every single day. Maybe when I was getting more of them it was people desperate for money when the economy tanked and now that the recession is over people are holding onto their saws.............

The Pawn Shops around here have dried up completely. No Stihls, no Husqvarnas, no Dolmars.

Around a year ago there were so many, I could bargain the price down.

I have been wondering what happened.

I think it's also part of a general longer trend that bigger saws are not being produced as much anymore, there isnt so much need sonce there are no big trees to cut any more. Forestry guys used to go to work with huge saws, and those saws are getting smaller and smaller. Give it another 15~20 years and all we'll need will be 60cc saws ;-)

Shaun

A few over priced gems show up here, but mostly plastic crap saws anymore. I have places to check, contacts to call when I have bucks. I give most of the big inch saws a pass, the only ones that are for sale are completely shot.

You should try it over here. I mainly only go for Stihl or Husqvarna. There aren't that many "big" saws around. Those that do come up for sale have usually been badly abused by tree companies. Stihl and Husqvarna saws go for crazy prices on ebay. Used saws often go for more than new from dealer. Parts saws are getting ridiculous, it seems everyone is "looking for a project".
A non-running 070 went for £260 ($425) recently, not including shipping, which allegedly had amongst other problems, "clutch" issues. A 076 used by a tree company but looked good cosmetically went for £400 ($650). A straight gassed 066, £230 ($375).
Gumtree is the equivalent of Craigslist over here, a couple of good deals come up every now and then on small saws. Mostly it is full of people trying to sell well used homeowner saws for more than new price. Well used MS180 for £200 ($330) anyone? Chicom copies/imports/fakes quite common also.
I don't mind a bit of competition as long as everyone plays by the rules, which recently hasn't been happening. Quite a few saws on ebay have been pulled from auction even with bids on.:msp_mad: Usually it is because the seller has let slip/implied they don't really know what it is worth. Cue the immoral individuals who offer them money to end early, knowing what they have offered is way less than what it would make if the auction ran.:msp_thumbdn: Not to mention it is against ebay policy.

Not sure if these are any good but I thought they looked interesting but I'm an uninformed newb when it comes to old saws. I stuck these on the I saw it on ebay/craigslist sticky thread too.

chainsaw mcculloch

I like this one too, ad says it's a David Bradley.

Vintage David Bradley Chainsaw

Old Sears saw. No clue if it's any good but I don't see a lot of Sears saws around before they called them craftsman.

Chainsaw Sears

Or you can trade one of your extra saws for this go kart with skis on the front for winter or wheels for summer.

2001 Rattler LXT Conversion 6.5HP Go Cart

Yeah, it kind of sucks. What does show up is near retail, and parts saws of any brand name are hard to come by. I've even told a couple of dealers that I'm not interested in "free" stuff, I'm willing to pay money for good non-runners, and it didn't do much good. Had one guy who wanted $150 for an 011 with a leaking oil tank, no spark, trashed bar and chain, and cracked plastic. Yeah, not working for me. I've paid that for a nice Husky 261 with new bar and extra chain. There was a guy who wanted $150 for a husky 36, and the guy who wants $375 for an 026.

Yep, been pretty bad around here.

I just called on a clean looking 372xp for 225 bux. Ad was listed 6hrs ago. Already sold. Ahhhhhh!

I have not had a need for more 1 man saws, so i been scooping up the big 2 man saws. Once people get off their horse thinking that their wreck that hasnt run in 40 years and is missing a bunch of parts isnt worth $600, i swoop in and make a sweet deal.

there out there, you just gotta look, and strike like lightning sometimes.

I could have had a complete with b/c 3400 countervibe for 10 bux this weekend. I passed.

My friend scraps, and he found an 029S in the trash this year. :)

If you see any more 3400/3700/4000 Poulans for $10, then grab 'em and let me know. My FIL in NH can hold 'em for me....:cheers:

There are a few deals to be had here from time to time, but mostly it's crap now. Like Jacob said, there's a buncha deadbeats funding their 'glacoma medication' by ebaying saws and other stuff. They're protective of their territory too. Lately, my "old chainsaws wanted" CL ad keeps getting flagged and removed.

I've had some success in being "allowed" to run my ad for short time periods by stating I'm NOT looking for old Stihls ('just' old Homelites, McCullochs, and Poulan/Craftsmans). I also state in my ad that I'm NOT looking for saws to resell.

Seems there's at least four or five guys (who must be 'connected' in the CL community) at any given time with their own "wanted stihl and husky chainsaws" ads.

The majority of the ads are for box store crap saws that folks have bought, used, and want to resell for the money they paid for 'em. Then there's the yahoos who post 'vintage' saws up for crazy money. Recently, there was an 090G posted near me for $2500, and a McCulloch 895 posted for $2000. Nuts.

There is a strict no shipped saw policy in place at my house. Thanks anyway. Send it to Avalancher so he can have a saw that speaks Spanish in his warehouse.

LOL!!

Standing there looking at that giant 50cc Mac(The thing is ridiculously huge..makes a 10-10 look small) and that Made in Mexico sticker, I got to thinking about the old restaraunt chain...."Carlos Murphys" that went under in the late 80's.

Maybe the Irish Burrito thing was never meant to be popular.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am seeing fewer deals (and desirable saws) as well. I have had decent luck acquiring multiple saws in one deal in the past but that is not happening much now. As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I was not able to come to terms with the owner on the 30 saw lot.

This is what I am relegated to finding now. It did clean up nicely though.... (anyone have an extra handguard?).

LeonardandJohnRiffee030.jpg

I sure wish that Toro had a full wrap and duel dogs, that would be a setup. How about a Cannon bar for it. I could see it on AxMen nest year. Well maybe not.

Northern Indiana has turned into a vast waistland of nothingness for just about any saws except the occasional crapsman on craigslist and who in their right mind is really gonna pay the prices they are wanting on ebay? around here big saws are almost unheard of and the only 880 sold at the local stihl dealer was the one i bought 2 years ago... My saw "slump" means i have way too much free time and the old lady is about ready to skin me alive, but more importantly all this free time is really cuttin into my beer stock!!! any advise would make the Mrs. extreamly happy....

Still waiting for the nudes, that someone mentioned......

.....not really, I don't care about them, on this site....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back