Where is all the 15w-40 motor oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the local farm store last week and checked the oil supply. I will not say they had plenty but they did have several brands of15w40 in 5gallon pails and smaller containers. They had Rotella and Delvac along with others. The 55 gallon drums were Mystik and a couple other off brands (no Mobil/Shell). I know right know their price a 5 gallons of Rotella is $100, Delvac is $90 and a 55 gallon drum of Mystik is $800. Steep difference. As for DEF they had plenty up to 55 gallon drums

Yeah, T6 is difficult to find but its on amazon here and there for way more than before.

For the same price now as T6 you can get 5-40 Schaeffers full syn.

No one said we are running out of oil…we are running out of the additive package used to make 15w-40 motor oil And thus 15w-40 motor oil is becoming difficult to find.
No everyone crying about one brand not being available. There's plenty of brands thats not Rotella on shelves. Like I said earlier, I too prefer the Rotella brand, but I got delvac because I couldn't get the Rotella. However since that comment was made the other week, I have been seeing less and less oil on the local shelves in general, and Dino oil seems to be going by the wayside fast. Tomorrow when I'm doing my running around in the morning I'm going to grab what I need for the escape and another 5 gal of delvac just to have on the shelf. I didn't think when I got the escape about what typenof oil it's supposed to use. Stupid 5w20 oil. Everything else is 15w40 or 10w30.

Saw it happening here in the past week/month and wondered why the shelf labels disappeared.

Just another bait and switch program to up pricing is how I'm seeing it.

We need smaller molecules in older designs to increase oil leaks.
You realize thats not true anymore. I have a few old fe engines in 70s ford's that have never been rebuilt and run on synthetic oil with no leaks. When Ester was the predominant base for synthetic oils they would eat away at Ester based seals and cause leaks. Most synthetic oils available now don't use an ester base. By most, I mean it's actually really hard to find an engine oil with an Ester base stock. Most, if not all, use a super refined mineral oil base.

Yeah, T6 is difficult to find but its on amazon here and there for way more than before.

For the same price now as T6 you can get 5-40 Schaeffers full syn.
I looked on Amazon last night for trans-hydraulic oil and it was way way high. I have been using amazon more and more but not for that

As for Schaeffers that and Cen-Pe-Co are not names I have heard of in awhile but I see they are still around.

No everyone crying about one brand not being available. There's plenty of brands thats not Rotella on shelves. Like I said earlier, I too prefer the Rotella brand, but I got delvac because I couldn't get the Rotella.
Plenty of Rotella here. I can send you some but the shipping is a bugger to eastern PA. :laugh:

Synthetic oils will push through cork gaskets and weep/seep oil, synthetics pass through rope seals quickly enough to drip. Use rubber/viton/butal seals on older stuff and they are fine but you have to live with the drip using rope/packing seals. At the end of the 60's rope seas went away and full circle rubber lip seals became the main stay for crank seals.

Synthetic oils will push through cork gaskets and weep/seep oil, synthetics pass through rope seals quickly enough to drip. Use rubber/viton/butal seals on older stuff and they are fine but you have to live with the drip using rope/packing seals. At the end of the 60's rope seas went away and full circle rubber lip seals became the main stay for crank seals.
But many don't understand the why. I do.
So when your stuck with parts only available in older NOS with no aftermarket support or no updates available... But but, others know better about leaks and that isn't true according to some.

The truth is the uneducated about older engines like to chime-in to be right. Bet your last dollar they read it on the internet.

I figured things might have changed being the internet has so much information available. I find it less helpful all the time doing R&D stuff. The money will shout this or that and the masses eat it up. Your being led by corporate money, fact. Finding the truth is never easy about the old stuff unless you have been there. Burying information by paying to be on a search engines top listings for customer acquisition or some sales pitch is precisely how search engines work now. You might not be tracked but your still lead. The real information may be buried thirty pages deep now days or removed via a corporation.

Latest posts

Back