Where moved posts go for eternity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like sycamore actually. We have some of on our property. I did learn to buck and split it when it's green. Don't let it sit for a year or 2 then decide to buck it. It dulled my chains much faster. Maybe I was using a crap chain, I don't remember, but I specifically remembering telling myself this and my dad also confirmed it with his experience. Just a watch-out.

I was really surprised to see oak listed as higher BTU than hedge?? Every book or chart I have ever seen always listed hedge the highest. I know that it will burn the grates right out of my furnace and heat alot hotter/longer than any thing else I have evr burnt and I have burn't alot of oak as well as others.

?? When I read it shows hedge as higher than oak.

Really depends on weight of wood, wood for the most part all runs around 6,200 btu per pound.

?? When I read it shows hedge as higher than oak.

Really depends on weight of wood, wood for the most part all runs around 6,200 btu per pound.
Had a neighbor that burned poplar and basswood for years because he could get it free. When people laughed at him for burning garbage wood he would smile and say a pound of wood is a pound of wood.

Had a neighbor that burned poplar and basswood for years because he could get it free. When people laughed at him for burning garbage wood he would smile and say a pound of wood is a pound of wood.

And so it is..

But some burns a lot cleaner than others.. and some is heavier so takes a lot less refill and carrying.. all be it when you do carry load may be heavier with what most consider better wood.

And so it is..

But some burns a lot cleaner than others.. and some is heavier so takes a lot less refill and carrying.. all be it when you do carry load may be heavier with what most consider better wood.

Yeah he always said it was easier for the wife to load the light poplar blocks instead of the heavy maple ones. She was there all day long to keep the stove full for 35 years so I guess it can't be all wrong.

i can tell you guys from experience, sweet gum burns and heats my house very well. ive been burning nothing but gum all year and theres coals in there in the morning.

+1 to that. I burn sweet gum in my heaters too, burns hot and long. Big chunks of coals in the morning. But I also burn pecan, hickory, elm, oak woods. If I get Red Oak, we bust it by hand for exercise, I use my splitter on all that other twisted grain wood.

Osage outrage

Hmmm!!!!! I wonder how many cords in the 40 wheat truck loads of Osage Orange we hauled home this winter. I feel kind of spoiled. Lol

You are. We sold $30,000 worth last season at 50 - 65 per face and not a stick of osage in the lot. Why don't you send some up this way.:snowman:

Last edited:
I might do that. By the looks of your link you're not going to find much of it in Utah.:laugh:

I think you're confused. I'm in Michigan, the link I posted is provided by the Utah State Forestry Extension Service.

By the way, the proceeds from the firewood we sell (approximately 500 cords per year) go directly to local charities.

ps. We do have Osage Orange here, but we call it Hedge Apple. Just haven't cut any for firewood.

Last edited:
Bodock, as we call it

How many on here are cutting Osage Orange and using it for firewood? I never cut it for firewood. I hear it's tough as nails. The closest I got to it is some blanks for making pens with, and still haven't cut them yet. :msp_mellow:

How many on here are cutting Osage Orange and using it for firewood? I never cut it for firewood. I hear it's tough as nails. The closest I got to it is some blanks for making pens with, and still haven't cut them yet. :msp_mellow:

It's our most abundent wood here atleast in our region of Kansas. It's all we burn for firewood. It's not bad cutting when green but it's a bear if you let it dry before it's cut to length.

I think you're confused. I'm in Michigan, the link I posted is provided by the Utah State Forestry Extension Service.

By the way, the proceeds from the firewood we sell (approximately 500 cords per year) go directly to local charities.

ps. We do have Osage Orange here, but we call it Hedge Apple. Just haven't cut any for firewood.

I'm surprised you don't have a high demand for it. Other than it's our most abundant wood the extended burn time is a big + for us. For the amount of work and wear and tear on equipment i'm not sure i'd want to sell any for firewood.

Don't know about "ultimate", but this is pretty good also.

Heating With Wood - Utah State Forestry Extension

You are. We sold $30,000 worth last season at 50 - 65 per face and not a stick of osage in the lot. Why don't you send some up this way.:snowman:

Well now I have. Got some in a load we cut from one of the parish properties. We'll see how it fires up next winter. It is most certainly dense.

I"m going into my 3rd year of using a woodstove for main heat.I burn a little over 4 cords a year it looks like. I'm really into these charts this is cool or should say hot. I've got a lot of Black Locust on my property, which I saw on the charts. But I also have a lot of Sassafras which I didn't see on the charts. Must be bad wood for heat. I burn a lot of good stuff at the house, all the stuff I wonder about goes to the barn ( got a woodstove in there also ) Everything got purpose like White pines for tellin stories and drinking beer down at the fire pit next to the woods (as long as your not eatin anything cooked on it) Thanks for the references.

Last edited:
I don't burn for heat, but I do for pleasure. I have a friend who I'd probably split this with, would it be worth it? He does burn for heat.

I know the BTU's aren't very high, which is why I'm asking I guess. Trying to decide if it's worth my time. I do cook over wood, so don't know if this is good for that or not.

Free Hybrid Poplar Logs

Approximately 40 Poplar logs around 20 feet in length that were cut a year ago.

Need info

Wrong place but need info on a electric motor how big of a pump will a 5 hp electric motor run I am going to move up from a 3 hp and I want to be sure and get the right size. His for the help later

Back