Where to buy Keen Serts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a good source for these. The only 5mm ones I found are on eBay at like $10 each and that's not happening. I'm also open to other opinions on what to use but I'm really not a fan of Heli Coil.

Time-sert..$80 or so for the kit to get started then about $1 per insert after that. Best way to go on the small 5 and 6mm stuff. Guessing that is out of the price range though

Key serts work good but they require drilling/tapping a bigger hole than time-serts and on chain saws there just isn't much meat to start with on allot of holes. There was a thread a few months back that went into pretty good detail about all the different repairs

I bought a 6 mm tap......next size up :yes:
That is what I used to do until I bought the time serts..now I just time sert it and move on.....most stuff that is a viable option but occasionally you just can't go up on bolt size

You can get Keenserts for $1.52 ea but you have to buy 100 to get that price. If you only want a few your going to have to shell out the bucks.

Timesert is the way to go. Madsens has the best price I have found on the kits.

It's kinda looking like I might need to go the Time Cert route. They definitely seem to be really good for thread repair. What size is used for spark plugs, 14- 1.25? For some reason that number is in my head. Specifically, it would be for an MS 460

If your dropping $80 for the kit, may as well just buy a new cylinder for not much over that.

Ah, ok. I had in mind you were repairing one saw.

We have the kits here at the shop for a couple sizes, though they don't get used all that often. Most of the time when a saw comes in with so many other problems it's not cost effective to repair it.
I'd offer to loan, but they aren't mine and it would probably work out that we needed it for a customer's saw 2 days after sending it out.
Several of the saws I sold on here were that case. The customer gave it to us "for parts" but instead I put my time (free to me... sorta) and $$ and fixed it. It wasn't worth it when billing out at $90/hr, but when I fix it for me, I am using it as a "free" training.
The money bought a bunch of firewood for the needy BTW... a big thanks. (sorry a bit off topic)

Ah, ok. I had in mind you were repairing one saw.

We have the kits here at the shop, but the shop is an OPE repair shop... saws, mowers, yard tractor, gen sets, etc, etc... as well as doing lumber and logging/firewood.
(and before someone posts to contradict me, my company and the shop aren't the same thing. I run my logging company from the same building and we share resources and labor, but it's a separate business.... ie I own Valley Firewood, and the shop is Mat Valley Milling, not owned by me.
It doesn't help that I'm also a tool hoarder.

For me the TimeSert kits pay for themselves smaller kits 60 $ Plug kits $ 125 but the plug kits paid off the quickest at $ 40 to repair a cylinder and I've gotten 10 or 11 066/660 cyls with bad plug holes for next to nothing. A plus with TimeSerts is they have BigSert kits for repairing bad Helicoil holes. And yes they use a special tool that cuts a counterbore. Threaddoctor on Ebay carries the kits. On race saws I TimeSert the plug hole and cylinder bolt holes bad or not during the build. Ken

I bought the 5mm time sert kit for the husky 2 series Its been great I have repaired a lot of the top cover holes I bough the kit for $60 maybe Ive also found individual 5mm inserts for about a $1 or so the 5mm insert come a 3 or 4 different lengths which makes it nice when doing different repairs to be able to select a longer thread repair for the top covers for example or a shorter insert for case to coil mount. Its fairly easy to do with cordless drill I would recommend a small tap handle as the tap and instalition tool have a very small sq head to turn them with it can be done with a adjustable wrench but its difficult.

Back