Where to buy Unistrut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a big Home Depot coming to town and Lowes is sweating bullets. I haven't ever seen so many red vests jumping up and down to get me the right thing. After the department manager of the lumber section walked me down to the lawn and garden section to help me find something, I told him that Home Depot was the best thing that ever happened to Lowes.... LOL... He gave me a funny look for a second till I explained what I meant and then thanked me for the compliment.

Ian

I got mine at HD as well in the electrical section.

I should note though that I thought I'd try to save some time and call ahead to make sure they had it. Called 2 Lowes and 2 Home Depots...each associate I talked to said they didn't have it. I just went in to see for myself...there it was.

I have found this to be the case numerous times. I rarely bother asking anyone anymore as it seems to send me on a wilder goose chase than it would have been had I just kept looking.

I once overheard a HD associate tell a just as ignorant homeowner that latex painters caulk would work to fix a leak in a composite roof. I couldn't let that one go and harshly criticized his advice... HD dude seemed insulted but Harry Homeowner didn't get screwed.

If you have a friend who is a plumber or electrician you could ask them where to buy it. Better yet see if they have some laying around that they don't need. I get free stuff like that all th time when I am out on job sites, it's really surprising what contractors will give you if you just ask, granted you have to be ready for some funny looks. Also, look for the stuff that is laying outside in the mud or near the dumpsters, it's all trash to them and good small project supplies to us.

YUP! This is why my barn is such a mess!:)

I am just getting started with this milling. I have seen quite a few guys using Unistrut for their guide bars. Where can I buy it? I live in the Northeast (Albany, NY), today I went to Lowes and Home Depot and looked through shelving, also asked a few associates and nobody had any idea, is it stocked somewhere else in the store?

Thanks,
Fergs

Stacked on end by the electrical conduit at the Home Depot in my area. Best to know what you want when you go there and not ask for advice from a teenager.
$14.49 for a 10' piece. Only length they have.

Where to buy unistrut

I have been viewing this site for a number of months picking up great advice on CSM. Because I have been getting started on a shoestring budget, I have struggled with finding a good guide for making the first cut. A truely straight 2 x 6 board is impossible to find. When I came across the post last Friday about the unistrut I immediately started calling HD, Menards and Lowes here in Cedar Rapids. None carried the unistrut. I then check the yellow pages under "Fasteners - Industrial & Construction". Five companies were listed. The first two I called both had unistrut. One was selling a 10' section for $22 and the other for $10. I put together a guide that is working great for a total of about $26 including 2 unistruts, some angle iron, bolts, nuts and washers. It is adjustable to any log length under 9' and easily collapes to fit into even my car. (With the back seat down, I can slide it through the trunk into the passenger compartment.) I do not have access to a digital camera right now, but I will try to get pictures later to show everyone. Thanks for all the great advice!

Latest posts

Back