Where to purchase non-benzene, alkylate, fuel from California?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about Coleman fuel? In the old days unleaded gas was a substitute for Coleman fuel in Coleman stoves, lamps, etc. I understand that Coleman fuel ('white gas') is actually cleaner than unleaded gas. Never used it myself in a chainsaw, though.

Coleman fuel would be a terrible fuel for a two cycle. It has a very low octane level, low volitility and isnt gasoline or "white Gas.FWIW White gas i primarily naptha.

You can't have it both ways. The higher the octane level, the less 'volatile' the fuel is, i.e. a higher 'octane' level retards the burning process so that the gas is consumed more efficiently in the combustion chamber.

The Material Safety Data Sheet for Coleman fuel gives the following composition:

* Solvent naphtha (CAS #64742-89-8) 45-50%
* Aliphatic petroleum distillates (CAS #64742-88-7) 45-50%
* Xylene (CAS #1330-20-7) 2%
* Toluene (CAS #108-88-3) 2%

(Note that Toluene is an octane booster.)

You can't have it both ways. The higher the octane level, the less 'volatile' the fuel is, i.e. a higher 'octane' level retards the burning process so that the gas is consumed more efficiently in the combustion chamber.
Octane level does not retard the burning process and volitility is not directly tied to octane number. Volitility is controlled by the the hydro carbon blend.
For chits and grins go to Phillips race fuels website and look up the 10% distillation temp for thier various fuels, then go to Chevrons website and do the same for pump fuel.

Last edited:
* Solvent naphtha (CAS #64742-89-8) 45-50%
* Aliphatic petroleum distillates (CAS #64742-88-7) 45-50%
* Xylene (CAS #1330-20-7) 2%
* Toluene (CAS #108-88-3) 2%

(Note that Toluene is an octane booster.)
So is Xylene.
Both Xylene and Toluene are pretty nasty. I doubt they would be present in more than trace ammounts. With MSDS files its always a guess to a certain degree as to what the composition is.

coveredinsap said:
Uh, even Coleman says using unleaded fuel is OK. And it seems that Coleman fuel is a fine substitute for unleaded gas.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/choose_fuel.asp

While Coleman may say that unleaded fuel is OK, I don't advise it for the reason I gave. Have you ever tried gasoline in a cigarette lighter?

BTW, nowhere on that site did I see where Coleman Fuel is a good substitute for gasoline.

Octane level does not retard the burning process....

I beg to differ. That is why a higher octane level reduces engine ping. Engine ping is caused by premature combustion. A higher octane level makes the fuel burn slower...and more efficiently.

If you provide links saying otherwise, I'll look at them. But I'll be damned if I'll do a search myself to help 'prove' your position :)

By the way....kerosene is (Class A) 'jet fuel'.

(This is in the United States...other countries vary)

Last edited:
I beg to differ. That is why a higher octane level reduces engine ping. Engine ping is caused by premature combustion. A higher octane level makes the fuel burn slower...and more efficiently.

If you provide links saying otherwise, I'll look at them. But I'll be damned if I'll do a search myself to help 'prove' your position
Go to Chevrons website. the have a excellant technical document on this very subject. I have posted the link here before, so A sear h might pick it up.
FWIW octane is a fuels measure of resistance to detonation, not combustion. This point seems to confuse many people. I might also add the some of the highest octane fuels as used in prostock drag cars also burn the faststest. The faster you can get combustion to occur the less time detonation has to rear its head.

Here's a FAQ on gasoline:

http://www.turborick.com/gsxr1127/gasoline.html

Combustion Characteristics

As gasolines contain mainly hydrocarbons, the only significant variable between different grades is the octane rating of the fuel, as most other properties are similar. Octane is discussed in detail in Section 6. There are only slight differences in combustion temperatures ( most are around 2000C in isobaric adiabatic combustion [29]). Note that the actual temperature in the combustion chamber is also determined by other factors, such as load and engine design. The addition of oxygenates changes the pre-flame reaction pathways, and also reduces the energy content of the fuel. The levels of oxygen in the fuel is regulated according to regional air quality standards.

Last edited:
Re: 'combustion' ...my mistake, I was using it as a layman's term.....the proper term is 'ignition'.
There is a considerable differance between the two. I have seen no place in the links you posted which says high octane fuel burns slower or has less volitility..
BTW these quotes are form the last link you posted.

"6.12 How do other fuel properties affect octane?
Several other properties affect knock. The most significant determinant of octane is the chemical structure of the hydrocarbons and their response to the addition of octane enhancing additives. Other factors include:-

Front End Volatility - Paraffins are the major component in gasoline, and the octane number decreases with increasing chain length or ring size, but increases with chain branching. Overall, the effect is a significant reduction in octane if front end volatility is lost, as can happen with improper or long term storage. Fuel economy on short trips can be improved by using a more volatile fuel, at the risk of carburettor icing and increased evaporative emissions.
Final Boiling Point.- Decreases in the final boiling point increase fuel octane. Aviation gasolines have much lower final boiling points than automotive gasolines. Note that final boiling points are being reduced because the higher boiling fractions are responsible for disproportionate quantities of pollutants and toxins. Preignition tendency - both knock and preignition can induce each other.
"
and
"6.3 What fuel property does the Octane Rating measure?
The fuel property the octane ratings measure is the ability of the unburnt end gases to spontaneously ignite under the specified test conditions. Within the chemical structure of the fuel is the ability to withstand pre-flame conditions without decomposing into species that will autoignite before the flame-front arrives. Different reaction mechanisms, occurring at various stages of the pre-flame compression stroke, are responsible for the undesirable, easily-autoignitable, end gases.

During the oxidation of a hydrocarbon fuel, the hydrogen atoms are removed one at a time from the molecule by reactions with small radical species (such as OH and HO2), and O and H atoms. The strength of carbon-hydrogen bonds depends on what the carbon is connected to. Straight chain HCs such as normal heptane have secondary C-H bonds that are significantly weaker than the primary C-H bonds present in branched chain HCs like iso-octane [13,14].

The octane rating of hydrocarbons is determined by the structure of the molecule, with long, straight hydrocarbon chains producing large amounts of easily-autoignitable pre-flame decomposition species, while branched and aromatic hydrocarbons are more resistant. This also explains why the octane ratings of paraffins consistently decrease with carbon number. In real life, the unburnt "end gases" ahead of the flame front encounter temperatures up to about 700C due to piston motion and radiant and conductive heating, and commence a series of pre-flame reactions. These reactions occur at different thermal stages, with the initial stage ( below 400C ) commencing with the addition of molecular oxygen to alkyl radicals, followed by the internal transfer of hydrogen atoms within the new radical to form an unsaturated, oxygen-containing species. These new species are susceptible to chain branching involving the HO2 radical during the intermediate temperature stage (400-600C), mainly through the production of OH radicals. Above 600C, the most important reaction that produces chain branching is the reaction of one hydrogen atom radical with molecular oxygen to form O and OH radicals.

The addition of additives such as alkyl lead and oxygenates can significantly affect the pre-flame reaction pathways. Anti-knock additives work by interfering at different points in the pre-flame reactions, with the oxygenates retarding undesirable low temperature reactions, and the alkyl lead compounds react in the intermediate temperature region to deactivate the major undesirable chain branching sequence [13,14].

The antiknock ability is related to the "autoignition temperature" of the hydrocarbons. Antiknock ability is _not_ substantially related to:-

The energy content of fuel, this should be obvious, as oxygenates have lower energy contents, but high octanes.
The flame speed of the conventionally ignited mixture, this should be evident from the similarities of the two reference hydrocarbons. Although flame speed does play a minor part, there are many other factors that are far more important. ( such as compression ratio, stoichiometry, combustion chamber shape, chemical structure of the fuel, presence of antiknock additives, number and position of spark plugs, turbulence etc.) Flame speed does not correlate with octane.
"

There is a considerable differance between the two. I have seen no place in the links you posted which says high octane fuel burns slower or has less volitility..

LOL! Once again I was using general 'laymans' terms...the best description, I suppose, would be that octane 'retards autoignition' ....but how many folks understand what that means without reading the FAQ? (myself included) :)

BTW the last link you posted was pretty good. Thank you for sharing it.

No problem. But it still doesn't seem to answer the question.....that is, what is the difference between unleaded gas and Coleman fuel, and why wouldn't Coleman fuel suffice as a cleaner-burning ingredient in the gas/oil chainsaw mixture?

No problem. But it still doesn't seem to answer the question.....that is, what is the difference between unleaded gas and Coleman fuel, and why wouldn't Coleman fuel suffice as a cleaner-burning ingredient in the gas/oil chainsaw mixture?
Thats pretty simple. It lacks the octane and volitility to function like gasoline.
The differance between the two are many. Coleman fuel is basicly a straight ccut of naptha, while gasoline is a complex mixture of various hydro carbons.

LOL! Once again I was using general 'laymans' terms...the best description, I suppose, would be that octane 'retards autoignition' ....but how many folks understand what that means without reading the FAQ? (myself included)
many people have thoughts like yours as they inutivly make sense. problem is relaity is quite differant as the link shows. Now you know and not just in laymans terms.:clap:

Latest posts

Back