Which 60cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had fried taters for dinner with my vodka. My hart Dr. Would be so proud.

You might want to reconsider that statement.
Idaho grows almost 10 times the potatoes Oregon does.

Check out page 56 http://www.usda.gov/nass/PUBS/TODAYRPT/cropan15.pdf

Ah, it seems that I am outdated and incorrect in my production numbers (or I was thinking of Warshington). But it depends on what source you look at. This one shows 6x the production, which I believe is more consistent over recent years, rather than the more commonly stated 10x-12x:

http://www.potatopro.com/news/2011/potato-production-united-states

Idaho potatoes are too heavy, and the balance is horrible.
Don't forget Oregon is one of the top 4 Pinot regions in the world, so it's better quality agriculture.

I planted a Pinot Noir vineyard at my ex's place in Southern Oregon. Dijon clones 114, 115, 667, and 777. I do not know if she is keeping up with it or has let the sheep eat it.

I planted a Pinot Noir vineyard at my ex's place in Southern Oregon. Dijon clones 114, 115, 667, and 777. I do not know if she is keeping up with it or has let the sheep eat it.
I kinda fudged the numbers by classing all of nz as one growing region.
I spent 10 years growing Pinot (and other varieties) in tas. Last couple of years in an organic vineyard before I came back home as dad goes into retirement kicking and screaming.
A chunk in the middle I managed a dry grown block of 113,114,115 and mv6.
They were some amazing times.

im looking at the 359 on saturday. thw 361 is still in pieces. if i end up going new its gona be a 461 most likely.

I kinda fudged the numbers by classing all of nz as one growing region.
I spent 10 years growing Pinot (and other varieties) in tas. Last couple of years in an organic vineyard before I came back home as dad goes into retirement kicking and screaming.
A chunk in the middle I managed a dry grown block of 113,114,115 and mv6.
They were some amazing times.

Yah, I set my test vineyard up as dry farmed. It produces more intense flavored and complex wines. I set up a perimeter deer fence. I ran irrigation lines that I got from my neighbor for free for a few years to establish the vines. I set up trellises and pruned the vines to establish the cordon systems. Those neighbors had also given us all the free cuttings that I needed to make all the clones from. Which is unheard of around here, as vineyards are protective of their pruned material. Also you cannot import any vines from out of state any more. So I made money on the side selling off rooted pinot Dijon clone stock to people around Eugene. This was all after I found a winery that wanted my grapes. The test vineyard would produce about a ton a year, and that was more than enough to get people interested. If it worked, I was planning on planting another 10 acre area there and dry farming that. 114 was the hardest to grow right, but it made the best wines. 115 was a better producer. 667 and 777 were later clones, and 777 is the most popular to grow here now.

That area, Douglas County, Oregon, has the same latitude and climate as Burgundy, France. The soils are also the same, and if there were more water there (which there is sadly not enough of) Douglas County would be a more known top quality Pinot growing region. I looked there for a few years to buy land to make a vineyard with, but it was not to be. Nothing the right size had any well or spring water. My ex had plenty of both, but no inclination or aptitude to growing grapes. Even though we met at a wine tasting club in the SF Bay area. She likes wine, but not growing grapes. Anyway, her property is perfect for growing blueberries and grapes, both money makers down there. I helped our neighbors pick grapes there every year and they have 20 acres planted in pinot. They sell to Hillcrest Winery in Roseburg which is where I was going to sell my grapes, and they make their own wine as well (which was really really good pinot, as was and is Hillcrest's pinot). I loved sitting in my vineyard pruning the vines. My cat would come out and hunt for voles at the same time. Sad that my ex was so unrealistic about doing anything to make money there. *sigh* I would grow here in my property but I am too far east and high in elevation and get too much early and late frost here. I have the water though... lots and lots of water here. And the right silt soil. The soil might be on the 'too good' side though.

Hard to get a perspective of scale here, but this is a fenced in trellised vineyard facing south. Perfect exposure, would have made great wine.

vineyard.jpg

Yah, I set my test vineyard up as dry farmed. It produces more intense flavored and complex wines. I set up a perimeter deer fence. I ran irrigation lines that I got from my neighbor for free for a few years to establish the vines. I set up trellises and pruned the vines to establish the cordon systems. Those neighbors had also given us all the free cuttings that I needed to make all the clones from. Which is unheard of around here, as vineyards are protective of their pruned material. Also you cannot import any vines from out of state any more. So I made money on the side selling off rooted pinot Dijon clone stock to people around Eugene. This was all after I found a winery that wanted my grapes. The test vineyard would produce about a ton a year, and that was more than enough to get people interested. If it worked, I was planning on planting another 10 acre area there and dry farming that. 114 was the hardest to grow right, but it made the best wines. 115 was a better producer. 667 and 777 were later clones, and 777 is the most popular to grow here now.

That area, Douglas County, Oregon, has the same latitude and climate as Burgundy, France. The soils are also the same, and if there were more water there (which there is sadly not enough of) Douglas County would be a more known top quality Pinot growing region. I looked there for a few years to buy land to make a vineyard with, but it was not to be. Nothing the right size had any well or spring water. My ex had plenty of both, but no inclination or aptitude to growing grapes. Even though we met at a wine tasting club in the SF Bay area. She likes wine, but not growing grapes. Anyway, her property is perfect for growing blueberries and grapes, both money makers down there. I helped our neighbors pick grapes there every year and they have 20 acres planted in pinot. They sell to Hillcrest Winery in Roseburg which is where I was going to sell my grapes, and they make their own wine as well (which was really really good pinot, as was and is Hillcrest's pinot). I loved sitting in my vineyard pruning the vines. My cat would come out and hunt for voles at the same time. Sad that my ex was so unrealistic about doing anything to make money there. *sigh* I would grow here in my property but I am too far east and high in elevation and get too much early and late frost here. I have the water though... lots and lots of water here. And the right silt soil. The soil might be on the 'too good' side though.

Hard to get a perspective of scale here, but this is a fenced in trellised vineyard facing south. Perfect exposure, would have made great wine.

View attachment 468731
Nothing gets in your blood like growing grapes, you are totally tuned into the soil, climate, seasons. You become a part of the terrior, and that's all amplified when you dry grow.
These days I just kill plants, my joke is I'm a botanical mercenary!

Nothing gets in your blood like growing grapes, you are totally tuned into the soil, climate, seasons. You become a part of the terrior, and that's all amplified when you dry grow.
These days I just kill plants, my joke is I'm a botanical mercenary!

True. I also had a one acre cane berry area there (Marion, rasp and blacks), as well as about a half acre in garlic. I used to grow 75 different types of garlics. I also grew 40 types of bamboos there and I still do that here, along with growing blueberries. I get outside as much as I can here. Today was blustery, cold and wet, but I was out clearing the culverts and drainage ditches, and cleaning up the debris from the last storms. I have also been cutting down pines and bucking them into firewood that have died after beetle infestations killed them. Soon I will not have any pine trees left here. They are all infested.

im looking at the 359 on saturday. thw 361 is still in pieces. if i end up going new its gona be a 461 most likely.

Classic overkill on AS. They got to you. Next you will be sending that 461 in for a major monkey modification and you will have the equivalent of a 90cc saw on your hands. But that will simply not be enough saw, see? You will want more saws in different power ranges and more chains and bars and gadgets to go with your saws. You will wind up with CAD. You will buy smaller and larger saws. You will trade saws. You will go to AS GTGs. Then only when you have 12-15 saws will you realize what happened. But by then it will be too late to save your soul. Its like being bitten by a vampire. You will lose our will. Your mind and thoughts will become one with the AS collective.

You will become... a SAWBORG!

borg.png
Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated!

Back