Which big saw for a 3 saw plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did some searching, but I guess I'm bad at it, so I am asking here. I am looking to add a big saw to my current fire wood cutting program. I have a newer 201-t (stock), and a 12 yr old ms 290 (muffler opened up). The 290 is a good running saw, and I keep very sharp chains. I have used it to handle some big wood, but want to get something that will pull a 36" bar. It will most likely be the least used saw in the stable, 'cause I generally use the lightest saw I can for the job,( note the 201 in a homeowner's firewood cutting arsenal). I am not stuck on stihl, although I am real happy with the ones I have, and because of the light usage, am looking for the saw that will make the occasional big tree easier for me, not the saw that is the best saw to run a big bar. For what it's worth, there is a tree that has prompted this search, a dead elm that needs to come down, with a 58ish dbh. From what I read, elm isn't great firewood, but it's my dad's tree, and he needs me to get rid of it. So, what say the chainsaw guru's?

I say, have a forum member that is near you, come over, bring a big saw and help you cut down the tree. In return, you buy him a nice bottle of his favorite distilled spirit, a case of his favorite fermented beverage, and feed him a nice meal with your family.

You will more than likely make a friend and come out money ahead.

I say, have a forum member that is near you, come over, bring a big saw and help you cut down the tree. In return, you buy him a nice bottle of his favorite distilled spirit, a case of his favorite fermented beverage, and feed him a nice meal with your family.

You will more than likely make a friend and come out money ahead.

Sound advice on this one, taking a tree that size takes some skill. Even more so if it is near any buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I do appreciate the concern to fall this tree safely, and the suggestion to rent, I am really looking to buy a saw, and would like advice on which saw to get. I regularly get into stuff that I have to buck from both sides with a 20" bar, so there is a definite use for something bigger. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the tree...

I second buying a used saw. A Stihl 066 or MS660 may fit the bill. Apart from being a very very good large saw, and second hand prices reflect this, it has the major bonus of plentiful and cheap (often dirt cheap) aftermarket spare parts. Given this would be the least used saw in the stable, no point in spending the money a brand new large saw costs. Given you can literally build a brand new saw out of aftermarket spare parts, you can afford to "go cheap", buy a non-runner and rebuild it.
If you "itch" to buy a brand new saw, a Dolmar 7910 or 9010 (and their Makita twins) are very hard to beat in the value for money department. Just to give you an idea, a 9010 is 500€ less than an MS661 here...

If you are going to buy one I would get something 80+cc and probably buy used as it will be seldom used it sounds like.

I have a 2186(same as 385) and can say that it will pull a 36 well. That is what I would use before I got my 395 the weight is noticeable but the torque is also, that's not to say that the 2186 did not do well thought. As I said I would find anything 80cc +, that includes the 7900/10. I have no experience with the 046/460/1 so I can't speak for that wearing a 36.

...If you "itch" to buy a brand new saw, a Dolmar 7910 or 9010 (and their Makita twins) are very hard to beat in the value for money department. Just to give you an idea, a 9010 is 500€ less than an MS661 here...
Stihl 660,661
Husky 390,395
Jonsered 2188
Dolmar 7910,9010
...As I said I would find anything 80cc +, that includes the 7900/10. ....

REP for the Dolmar's! :)

While I do appreciate the concern to fall this tree safely, and the suggestion to rent, I am really looking to buy a saw, and would like advice on which saw to get. I regularly get into stuff that I have to buck from both sides with a 20" bar, so there is a definite use for something bigger. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the tree...
A Dolmar PS-7900/7910 might be a good "big saw" for Your purposes.
They are affordable even NIB, reliable, not to heavy for their cc class - AND they will pull a 36" 3/8" full complement B&C setup!

Dolmar PS-7900 (other then a modest muffler mod completely stock), 36" Iggesund Forest bar, new Carlton full complement round filed chisel chain 3/8" .058" 115DL - in 1 year old unearthed walnut root ball (semi dry, quite dirty covered with dried earth):

And here she is posing proudly:
Dolmar PS-7900 36inch Iggesund Forest R2 1.JPG Dolmar PS-7900 36inch Iggesund Forest R2 2.JPG

NOTE:
I am a bit biased toward Dolmar as they are the only saws I ever used! ;)

But then again, everybody is going to recommend a saw or brand they had good experience with be it Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo or any other.
Nothing wrong with either of them, other them my lack of experience on any of them! :)

If a 79cc saw is deemed inadequate I would lean towards any of the big Husqvarna's (390XP/395XP/3120XP) rather then Stihl.

Good luck with Your quest for a bigger saw!
Let us know what You end up with.

Back