Which first Saw? It's about time!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I think two saws will be the best option. Smaller duty 45-55cc one and a bigger 30/40 series down the road if the need arises.

On my lunch break I hit my local Stihl dealer. Guy was really helpful and now backed with some knowledge I tried to get more of a physical feel of the saws. He was actually pushing me towards the MS180 w/ 16" bar ($240). They had the 250 w/ 18" bar ($360) and 291 w/20" bar($470). I kept eyeballing the MS 362 ($720) but it was big and heavy, thinking it would be a hog for smaller stuff, so I'll probably put that on the back burner for now and just get a smaller saw. I was surprised they didn't have any of the MS 260 pro series, just the 362 and 441. I was also surpried by the bar lenghts on them. I thought they all came 16" stock, or at least most guys prefer them.

Once I told the guy I just want a really good do it all, he said go with the MS 250 and liked it better than the new 251 ($20 more). Thoughts? It was lighter

MS 250 is a great saw from what I've seen. As a "starter saw" for home use, it's not too big and not too small. If the need arises you can always go bigger down the road.

MS 250 is a great saw from what I've seen. As a "starter saw" for home use, it's not too big and not too small. If the need arises you can always go bigger down the road.

I think this is the way I'm going to go. Something light and useful (9mm), then I'll pick up something more substantial for bigger jobs (44 mag), probably used. Just looking on my local Craigslist I'm seeing all kinds of goodness in the 362 and 441 lines.

Good luck with the 1 saw plan..hahaha.. For a normal homeowner with those size of trees you have a lot of choices. Id go safe and get something like a husky 372 20" or 24" bar save your back some and if u run into bigger trees down the road your covered.

MS361 or a 357XP would be the do all for me. I ditched a MS270 for the MS361 both wore a 18" bar. MS270 like a dull sword compared to MS361 light saber. Weight close enough to not notice much.

Have a lead on a few used saws now. I'll keep everyone posted. It's quite possible I'll become a collector apparently. Some nice used deals out there.

The 261 is a favorite. I have no experience with the others.
I don't own a Stihl. If I was going to get one, I would listen to Brad or Randy (Mastermind) and probably get a 261 and get it ported. If you have been using an axe and a pullsaw you will be impressed.

If you are used to an axe and a handsaw you will be impressed by anything with a motor. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed and choose wisely. The fellers here will not steer you wrong.

Having test-swapped bud's 250 stihl for RedMax GZ4000 and PP4218, it was obvious (1) that stihl's power ratings are BS and (2) that the 250 came in distant second to the other two. Yes it had a sharp chain and properly tweaked carb. It was obvious to us that the 250's A/V was second-rate. At least you can get good reasle price.

If you're not fixated on stihl and/or work for a buck, I'd suggest looking at Husqys on VMInnovations dot com. Got a factory refurbed 455r for $327 delivered from there, and a PP4218 for $94 also FOB my door.

Other serious candidates are the aforementioned RedMax- very quick, nimble, quiet and tough- and Dolmar 421 (42.4 cc) and 6100 (61 cc). Much better buys than comparable stihls, all of them.

Latest posts

Back