Which Husqvarna Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoping4Heat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm between last years 142 and this years 235E. The 142 is a bit cheaper, but the 235E has the tool-less chain adjustment. Any opinions with someone with more experience with these?

5 full cords is a lot of wood for either of those saws (or do you mean face cords?) But, it can be done. I had a 142 a couple years ago, and for the price you really couldn't beat it. I sold it to a friend almost 2 years ago, and neither of us had any trouble at all with it, and it has seen a lot of use clearing trails and cutting 2 years worth of firewood for him. I'd stay away from the tool-less chain adjuster (more moving parts to break), but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Honestly, I would not go with either of them. the 142 is just an expensive orange Poulan, and the tool-less chain adjuster is gimmicky and unreliable. I would save my pennies for a 346xp, it is ten times more saw than the others.

I've been reading the reviews, and the 142 seems to get much better reviews. I think we'll go with that one-we only need to cut about 3 cords this year and I can get a reconditioned 142 for $159 on ebay and get 25% cashback with live.com. Seems like the smart choice.

I've been reading the reviews, and the 142 seems to get much better reviews. I think we'll go with that one-we only need to cut about 3 cords this year and I can get a reconditioned 142 for $159 on ebay and get 25% cashback with live.com. Seems like the smart choice.

I think you will really be sorry if you buy a $159 dollar saw and plan on cutting 5 cord a year with it. I know nothing about a 142 but it has to be a throwaway saw at that price. I think I'd take AOD's advice.

Total came to $177.45 with $39.99 cashback from live.com in 60 days. I went with reconditioned since it came with the same 2 year manufacturer warranty as the new one and was from the same dealer. This is our first chainsaw purchase and this saw was recommended by the tree company who cut some trees on our property. Regular price on this is $329.

We hope you enjoy your purchase. Your payment has been received for the following
item:

Item title: Husqvarna Reconditioned 16 Inch Gas Chain Saw 142
Web Address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280278686957
Item number: 280278686957

Your total: $177.45

:agree2:

Scrape up another hundred & buy a saw that will last for 10-15 years.

RD

Seriously, I'm not trying to knock your choice of saws, but you will not get good service out of a 142, and I don't now why a tree co. would recommend such a poor quality saw. You will not be happy with it for such intense use. Just save your money for the 346XP and you can make your first chainsaw purchase also be your last chainsaw purchase.

Seriously, I'm not trying to knock your choice of saws, but you will not get good service out of a 142, and I don't now why a tree co. would recommend such a poor quality saw. You will not be happy with it for such intense use. Just save your money for the 346XP and you can make your first chainsaw purchase also be your last chainsaw purchase.

Fairly certain the saw has already been purchased. Dust off your 142 IPLs because the OP will be back wanting to know how to fix things on the Poulan (I mean Husky) when they go wrong.:givebeer:

I looked at one of those at a Sears and a 340 would be a much better choice.

Kinda too bad, you can usually get a new WildThing for about $140, reconditioned ones for about $79, and it's basically the same as a 142, and the difference in $$$ you would save could gt you a decent older saw (like an 026 or a 55) on Ebay.

Is it just me or does it kind of sound like she is trying to sell you a saw with her posts. Giving the receipt of payment with the price and everything. It just seemed like that to me.

Scott

346 or 372 was the right firewood saw answer-some people never listenv to good advice. I dont have a problem with factory refurbed saws, I have a Makita 6401, but it's a firewood saw, not windfall saw! I think they'll be Hoping4aworkingsaw!:chainsaw:

Well I would have gone with the 346XP also. But that might be all she can afford right now. I know a lot of people that get those throw aways every few years. I think that she is probably cutting only 5 "face cord" So I think it should be ok for a while

Something fishy is going on with this post. Its like she didn't even listen to what people were saying... I dunno I agree wrong choice in saw purchase.

It is frustrating watching people make bad discussions. I am sure the money saved will help with the chain sharpening bills at the local hardware store…Wait; HF sells a real good grinder for $29! I hate junk tools.

Something fishy is going on with this post. Its like she didn't even listen to what people were saying... I dunno I agree wrong choice in saw purchase.

No one had anything specific they could note that made either one a poor choice. She just may have went the with most powerful one she could afford.

To anyone reading, It surprises me that homeowners are advised to buy 72 cc or larger saws for 3-6 cords a year. How long does it take to just fell and buck this amount of wood ? Or, just to buck it to length if they have logs available ? Chances are better than even that they don't go out in a single day and bring this much wood in to process

Pretty easy to sit back and poo-poo a homeowner or a homeowner class of saw when it isn't your money buying it. For 5 cords a year it should last them long enough to heat their home for several years and become their backup saw if they decide they need to do their cutting in less time or add a second operator. There is still the brushing, loading, hauling, unloading, splitting, stacking and enjoying of the wood. It is going to be used by a one man operation. A faster saw isn't going to make any of the rest of it go quicker. As long as that one man exercizes proper feeding and care for that saw there is no reason for it to fail sooner than its larger counterparts in the same hands.

Hoping4heat, between the 2 saws you mentioned I don't think you went wrong with your purchase. The saw you purchased has more advertised power in approx the same size package. It was less initial cost and depending on your husband physical condition he should be able to operate it easily for the task at hand, which is making firewood from small to medium sized trees or logs

To get the most out of your saw always keep the chain sharpened for maximum production/cutting speed. Use quality Bar Oil to lubricate the bar and chain, never put used motor oil in the reseviour or in the gas/oil mix. Always remember to mix the correct amount, of the right oil, in your gas can. Never put straight gas in your saw and expect it to run long enough to finish a job. Use the best gas you can buy, and remember to run the last of the gas out of the tank before storing it for more than a week or two. Never let the saw sit longer than this with gas in it to avoid having to take it to the shop to get cleared out and going again.

When you or your husband are ready for that saw to cut faster look into a getting a couple of better loops of chain. The chain that comes on new saws, that size, are intened for the inexperienced, uninitiated and untrained ocassional user. There are risks invloved with a more aggresive and faster cutting chain. Keep your safety in mind and the safety of others working in your area. Even a safety chain will go through human flesh quickly.

Dont forget to add some protective equipment to your/his toolset. A set of saw chaps are much less expensive than a trip to the ER or time lost from a horrific accident. Don't wait till it is too late to think about his safety. It only takes an instant to change your life forever.

A lot of that should go without saying but not knowing your husbands level of experience with a chain saw I offered this to help. Enjoy your new purchase, treat it well and it should serve the master accordingly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back