Which Husqvarna Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you KSWoodman and AOD and Stihl051master

Thanks to two of the few people on this thread who were not condescending and rude.
1. I did listen to AOD's and Stihl051master's advice about the tool-less thing being gimmicky.
2. I was not asking how to spend more money-if I had that much money to budget for a more expensive saw, I'd just buy the wood split and seasoned and save a lot of time and trouble.
3. I was not asking for a general "what saw should I buy," but which of these 2 should I buy.
4. No, I'm not trying to advertise for anyone on ebay. I typically don't buy products like this on ebay because they are overpriced, but I found an authorized dealer with new and refurbished saws and was able to get 25% cashback with live.com

I thought that made this saw a pretty good deal, and maybe if there is a homeowner in our position, he or she would think so too. We have never owned a chainsaw before. Our goal was a lightweight, easy to use, low maintenance saw. We won't be cutting any trees down with it and will not be cutting any huge pieces of wood.

I did find someone on this board who dropped off 3-5 cords of wood in 7 foot lengths for a little money for gas and time-that is all of the use the saw will see for now. Anyway, thanks for those who were willing to listen and give good advice. We are looking into chaps for safety. My father is a doctor and used to cut and split all of our firewood, so I have heard all of the horror stories about not being safe...

Last edited:
This is a Shill for the ebay seller IMO.
:chainsaw:

I'm not so sure, I noticed her first post in the firewood wanted section when she joined. She has had a few questions along the way and seems to have the firewood bug like some of us here. Sounds like she is trying to give her husband CAD. Nice start too , there will be a lot of room to upgrade when he is ready or she is willing.

I could be wrong, not the first time or last. But this time I don't think so.

Hoping4heat, You are Welcome !

If it hasn't been said yet, Welcome to ArboristSite. If it has ... I'm usually a bit late anyway, Welcome regardless.

Yep. We were so excited when we bought our house 4 years ago and had the insert installed before our first winter. We have been purchasing wood cut and split and heat pretty much exclusively with wood. People are charging a minimum of $250 per cord here now and most are closer to $300+, so we just started cutting our own wood. We have a tough driveway, so a large wood truck won't even make it up. The town is paving our road now and blasting our driveway as I type, so maybe in the near future it will be possible-I'm not sure how it will be when they finish it.

And thanks for the welcome:)

My husband works about 60 hours per week, so I do all the planning purchasing. I want to do some of the cutting, but we'll see if he'll hand over the chainsaw...

Last edited:
Well I can be wrong too, and If I caused offence I apologise.
It just sounded like the OP was not really taking any advice on board, although looking back through the posts it seems as though not much advice was given apart from buy a 346xp.
I hope your new saw does the business for you, one tip with small saws it is very important to keep the chain sharp.
Larger saws will pull a dull cutter through wood and still make a reasonable job of cutting, a small displacement saw needs to have a sharp chain or all you will be making is noise, smoke and dust.
Maybe think about investing in a few files and a filing guide as well.

No one had anything specific they could note that made either one a poor choice. She just may have went the with most powerful one she could afford.

To anyone reading, It surprises me that homeowners are advised to buy 72 cc or larger saws for 3-6 cords a year. How long does it take to just fell and buck this amount of wood ? Or, just to buck it to length if they have logs available ? Chances are better than even that they don't go out in a single day and bring this much wood in to process

Pretty easy to sit back and poo-poo a homeowner or a homeowner class of saw when it isn't your money buying it. For 5 cords a year it should last them long enough to heat their home for several years and become their backup saw if they decide they need to do their cutting in less time or add a second operator. There is still the brushing, loading, hauling, unloading, splitting, stacking and enjoying of the wood. It is going to be used by a one man operation. A faster saw isn't going to make any of the rest of it go quicker. As long as that one man exercizes proper feeding and care for that saw there is no reason for it to fail sooner than its larger counterparts in the same hands.

Hoping4heat, between the 2 saws you mentioned I don't think you went wrong with your purchase. The saw you purchased has more advertised power in approx the same size package. It was less initial cost and depending on your husband physical condition he should be able to operate it easily for the task at hand, which is making firewood from small to medium sized trees or logs

To get the most out of your saw always keep the chain sharpened for maximum production/cutting speed. Use quality Bar Oil to lubricate the bar and chain, never put used motor oil in the reseviour or in the gas/oil mix. Always remember to mix the correct amount, of the right oil, in your gas can. Never put straight gas in your saw and expect it to run long enough to finish a job. Use the best gas you can buy, and remember to run the last of the gas out of the tank before storing it for more than a week or two. Never let the saw sit longer than this with gas in it to avoid having to take it to the shop to get cleared out and going again.

When you or your husband are ready for that saw to cut faster look into a getting a couple of better loops of chain. The chain that comes on new saws, that size, are intened for the inexperienced, uninitiated and untrained ocassional user. There are risks invloved with a more aggresive and faster cutting chain. Keep your safety in mind and the safety of others working in your area. Even a safety chain will go through human flesh quickly.

Dont forget to add some protective equipment to your/his toolset. A set of saw chaps are much less expensive than a trip to the ER or time lost from a horrific accident. Don't wait till it is too late to think about his safety. It only takes an instant to change your life forever.

A lot of that should go without saying but not knowing your husbands level of experience with a chain saw I offered this to help. Enjoy your new purchase, treat it well and it should serve the master accordingly.

Your right on the money Kc. I didn't make any suggestions because she already made her choice. Some of you guys really need to lighten up a little.
Good luck hoping4heat with your new purchace

Last edited:
I poo-poo, I poo-poo, I poo-poo the choice. I look back over my youth running equipment on the cheap (junk). I have no idea how much time I spent working on junk saws. Let’s face it; a “good” fire wood saw is not that much money. For just a little extra coin you will get a hell of a better tool. I have people ask me at work, mostly women. They see a sawmill in the front yard, on my opinion on burning wood and equipment. The amount of interest this year is amazing. With gas down to $2.39 this will most likely change. The only advice I give is the location and numbers of the three local dealers. Any of these dealers they can try a saw, get an explanation of good and bad of each model, and access to all the PPE. They will come out well informed, with a working system, and most importantly a face to come back to when problems come up (not some internet slob sitting in his underwear drinking beer after a long day of cutting wood – like me). If I seem rude to be honest I don’t care. I don’t like to see people make the same mistakes I have made. The best of luck to you and your family.

MJR, what prompted you to buy junk in the first place ?

IMHO, A bigger saw is not a good choice for a first time buyer. It just isn't.

Crawl, walk, then run. Who is going to be there to instruct her husband on the proper usage of a saw ? It is doubtful that he memorises the manual before fueling it up. Once the fuel goes in the next step is going to be to start it. Since he is outside he will step over to the wood pile and start in with it. The uninitiated are not ready for 'pull in", push back, kickback or springpoles. The first time the tip hits a log with an aggressive set of cutters it will scare the HELL out of him, if it doesn't cause him injury. Uninitiated or inexperienced users shouldn't buy pro saws.

It sounds like he is going to be cutting delivered logs for firewood, not doing tree service. 3-5 cords really isn't considered more than occasional use. 10 a year is easy , even working 2 jobs with a family.

Crawl, walk, then run. He will know when he is ready for a faster chain or bigger saw or just had enough. Your experience running on the cheap prepared you for what you are doing now. Let the use gain experience first before moving forward.

I wrote good not big/pro. What she can learn from a good dealer will speed up the learning curve greatly and have someone knowledgeable to talk to. Well we disagree which is fine. I am heading up to my farm for a few days to recycle a deer or two. The perfect saw debate will have to continue without me. Good luck.

Nah. we both made our point.

Someone else is going to have to pick it up from here.

Looking forward to hearing how it went up there for you.

i have a 142 its a decent little saw for what it is. only real gripe i have is is has a tendancy to toss chains just fior the hell of it. i should take it to the dealer see if he can fix it as its still warrentied. either that or just trade it in towards a 346xp :clap: unless it was a small branch i used the 455 on it. now i got a 262xp so time to sell a 455.

the best choice

stay with the 142 it is the best choice for a probie saw user. just remember to follow the owners manual on maintenance. also full ppe is a must. now if you want to spend a little more money look at these firewood cutter kits from baileys a AS sponsors.
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?CatID=1056&skw=fwk

just beware that chainsawz are dangerous. buy the saw that has less gimmicks and it will be a more enjoyable experience for your husband and you. the toolless chain adjusters are garbage just buy the standard style of clutch cover. also buy a couple extra chains,so you can cut alot longer. see if somebody can show you how to sharpen a chain properly,this in it self will make your job easier and more enjoyable.

:givebeer:

I poo-poo, I poo-poo, I poo-poo the choice. I look back over my youth running equipment on the cheap (junk). I have no idea how much time I spent working on junk saws. Let’s face it; a “good” fire wood saw is not that much money. For just a little extra coin you will get a hell of a better tool. I have people ask me at work, mostly women. They see a sawmill in the front yard, on my opinion on burning wood and equipment. The amount of interest this year is amazing. With gas down to $2.39 this will most likely change. The only advice I give is the location and numbers of the three local dealers. Any of these dealers they can try a saw, get an explanation of good and bad of each model, and access to all the PPE. They will come out well informed, with a working system, and most importantly a face to come back to when problems come up (not some internet slob sitting in his underwear drinking beer after a long day of cutting wood – like me). If I seem rude to be honest I don’t care. I don’t like to see people make the same mistakes I have made. The best of luck to you and your family.

Granted.But if you started with the best,What experiance would you have.I bet now you can take apart a saw and fix it because of those cheap saws

I started with a cheap reman eager beaver 15 inch bar I ended up working on it trying to get it running as much time as I used it.Then I got a old used home lite till it broke and can't get parts, last year I bought a new Husky 350, but that just didn't do it for me either, I cut 10- 12 cord a year. So this year I broke down and bought a Husky 372xp and I am as happy as can be :)

:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
note to Ks: i've been reading through alot of threads lately and i seem to connect to and learn from and agree on every post you make. your judgement of any situation is always silly-proof down to earth sound. you're a free thinker; a gentleman and have a sincere desir for your post to be helpful to all involved... only trouble for me is when i think i have something to contribute, i read down the threads to make sure that what i wanted to say hasn't been covered and what do i see; Ks rounded that one up and then some and then some more...seriously man, i'd just like to tell you i much appreciate your post and look forward to reading all and more of them! this site is lucky to have you and other people like you onboard, it makes for a quality experience i haven't had elsewhere on the net. Thanks for your time and for sharing it. alain

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

( To me ) This is a place for questions, opinions and discussion. I'll add my input to a discussion whether I follow the general concensus or not. I've been called "out there" and didn't care. Sometimes I'm on the money other times I see it from the wrong angle or at least one that is less seldom seen. Remembering what I went through before getting here helps when I go to contribute.

There is simply no question that the 142 is undersized for the task of cutting 5 cords of wood per year.

And the original price of a 142 was never $329. I think the highest they ever went was $219/$229.

I sometimes see people come in the store with misconceptions like this. I'll let them walk out without buying anything rather than sell them something that won't work. I realize that in some cases they probably suspect that I am just trying to get them to spend more money, but still, I'm better off letting them walk.

There is simply no question that the 142 is undersized for the task of cutting 5 cords of wood per year.

And the original price of a 142 was never $329. I think the highest they ever went was $219/$229.

I sometimes see people come in the store with misconceptions like this. I'll let them walk out without buying anything rather than sell them something that won't work. I realize that in some cases they probably suspect that I am just trying to get them to spend more money, but still, I'm better off letting them walk.
Pssttt. Every time I read a thread like this, I usually go out to the garage and pat my Echo CS3900 ($190 in 1997) on the case and say, "Thanks, girl, for bringing in 11 cords this year and still on the same chain."

She replies, "Treat me right and I'll do it next year, too. Just give me good fuel, good TSC bar and chain oil, and clean my air filter every other time out. Sharpen me every three times out with that slick little Granberg and grease my nose. Master, you are the greatest."

Latest posts

Back