Which is your favorite saw for around the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Refurbished Husky 435 I bought from ################## for $142.45 with coupon. It has more power and runs more smoothly than my Poulan Wild Thing. It is lighter than my Husky 345. I did have to adjust the high speed mixture, but now it starts easily and runs great. It is the saw I grab now when I have a limb in the yard to trim.

Ported 394...Not allowed to go to work.....Just too damn pristine...gift from my father in law...trims suckers off my willows pretty quick with the 8 tooth.

My very reliable and trusty 1974 Craftsman/Poulan 2.3A...recently aquired. Everyone should own one...great little saw but im with Kenjax on this one...spend all day in a tree listening to a chainsaw. A 200T even. So dont spend too much time cutting at home...great thread though.

John

Only 'around the house' cutting I do is pruning fruit trees and cutting brush. My 'go to' saw for that for decades was Dad's little McCulloch PM320 that he bought new in 1980 or so. It's now in need of a carb kit and fuel lines (which are no fun on those saws) so it will be sitting for a while. For the last two years or so, my 'home' saw was a Stihl 011AVEQ. That saw now belongs to another AS member, and has been replaced by whichever Homelite Super E-Z, Poulan S25-CVA, or Poulan Micro that I feel like grabbing (or that is squared away) at the time of 'need'.

If any of the big bushy redwoods, pines, or firs that are around the homestead (some on my property, others on the neighbors properties or along the lane) happen to come down in a storm, I'll be grabbing the 306A, PM700 or SP-81 however (along with a S25-CVA to wade through the slash) depending on the size of the tree. They're all wearing sharp chains and have full bar oil tanks at all times. A quick shot of fuel and they're in business. It's happened before. One winter, 11 of the neighbor's Monterey Pines came down accross our fence. Luckily no structures, vehicles, or wires were hit. Many other saws (big and small, but all old) are available for use if needed...:cool2:

Last edited:
ive used my 066 with 42" bar for pruning my neighbors trees that over hang onto the house saves getting a ladder out my neighbors hate me and i hate them but it is normaly my shindy 488P and ms170

ive used my 066 with 42" bar for pruning my neighbors trees that over hang onto the house saves getting a ladder out my neighbors hate me and i hate them but it is normaly my shindy 488P and ms170

A week ago I'd just fired up a Homelite 750 that I'd been working on. Didn't have any wood handy for a quick test cut. Looked around and spied a 4" diameter limb that needed pruning from a nearby apple tree (limb was about seven feet from the ground). Walked over to it and pruned the apple tree with the snarling old 112cc logging vet running a 34" bar and .404 pitch chain. Would have been even more out of place if I'd had the saw owner's 48" Cannon on the saw at the time.:D

photobucket-7532-1338787390664.jpg

Taken later that same day.

nice my neighbors glare at me

Some of my neigbors are almost as redneck as me (maybe more so in some ways) and we get along fine. Don't hang out together, but don't butt heads neither. The rest range from indifferent to just plain scared. Luckily I live in a rural area and the houses are farther apart. I'd be the first person they'd call if a tree fell accross the lane.

I've lived in other places where the neighbors glared at me. One old bat used to just do the long, slow disapproving stare as she walked her little #### dog past my house with the old trucks out front. If my garage was open, they'd stare at the truck parts, chainsaws, and such that filled the place while shaking their heads. Didn't matter if I was standing in my front yard. They'd stare past me to look at all the "junk". I startled them out of their trance by saying hello. Used to fire up ALL my saws, plus two old pickups and two Scouts during their "Earth Day" celibrations...:D

While living there, my next door neighbor (upon finding out that I owned the old trucks in front) said he was disappointed, as he thought my landlord owned them and he was getting ready to "turn him in" to the local governent for code violations. WTF??? I got back at them by running my loud old generator on the side of the house (no outlet there) to power my angle grinder while working on something. Was about 7AM on a Saturday.:D

Last edited:
Some of my neigbors are almost as redneck as me (maybe more so in some ways) and we get along fine. Don't hang out together, but don't butt heads neither. The rest range from indifferent to just plain scared. Luckily I live in a rural area and the houses are farther apart. I'd be the first person they'd call if a tree fell accross the lane.

I've lived in other places where the neighbors glared at me. One old bat used to just do the long, slow disapproving stare as she walked her little #### dog past my house with the old trucks out front. If my garage was open, they'd stare at the truck parts, chainsaws, and such that filled the place while shaking their heads. Didn't matter if I was standing in my front yard. They'd stare past me to look at all the "junk". I startled them out of their trance by saying hello. Used to fire up ALL my saws, plus two old pickups and two Scouts during their "Earth Day" celibrations...:D

While living there, my next door neighbor (upon finding out that I owned the old trucks in front) said he was disappointed, as he thought my landlord owned them and he was getting ready to "turn him in" to the local governent for code violations. WTF??? I got back at them by running my loud old generator on the side of the house (no outlet there) to power my angle grinder while working on something. Was about 7AM on a Saturday.:D

hahaha love it

Around the house? It would be little saplings I could/should do with shears. Normally though they will end up growing to 2-4 inch diameter and I end up getting my little Craftsman out. Other than that it's a big round I cant split so I usually grab the Poulan 245A to split it the fun way.

Another GTA boy! Good to see there is some more of us around. Right now around the home its a toss up between my MS200 and PS-3410TH. The Stihl is definitely the zippier of the two but the little Dolly is really handy getting in and around limbs.

BTW, do you have both the 200 and the 200T or is that just a typo in your sig? Cheers! :cheers:

I actually have three used MS200T's and one brand new never been in wood. I picked up two of the used ones from a guy that works clearing power lines and got them for next to nothing. I use them quite a bit too but not as frequent as the MS200.

200R is an awesome little saw- I use loppers , folding Bahco pruner or my 435 around the house.

Not much call for anything bigger at the house.

Bill

i've got an ms261 ported but around the house me ms260 less fuss and less noise mmm suburbia :tire:

Latest posts

Back