which new saw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

025Drew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, new here, 1st post.

I am buying a new saw, I have a Stihl 025, for my personal wood pile, I have a small fire place that eats about 1/2 cord a year.

This year I will be cutting logs up to 40 inches in Diameter, then splitting it all for my sister-in-law. She just got a new wood stove and needs about 9 cords on the ground this year.

I am looking at saws in the 60 to 70 cc range and would like to hear from owners about the saw they have, what they like and dislike so I can make a decision.

Thanks for your advice

Jonsered 2172 or the Husqvarna 372XT Ive been hearing great things about these saws. Personally if I were going to be cutting logs 40" I would consider a Jonsered 2188,Husqvarna 390or395.

I would stay in the family and look at a Stihl 362. I love my 361. My brother is running a 362 with a twenty inch bar for firewooding and it seems to be a nice setup.

For that job, a Stihl 460 would be on my short list. The ~70cc class seems like the place you want to be.

Weight - I was looking around 14 pound for the power head.

Technology does not matter to me, a saw that runs good and has plenty of power is where I want to be.

I do not believe that the gas I will be purchasing will add up to more than 4 or 5 gallons a year. Therefore a saw that has new EPA emissions and sips gas is not a consideration.

I will look at the saws recommended, thanks for the info.

Budget?

Hello, new here, 1st post.

I am buying a new saw, I have a Stihl 025, for my personal wood pile, I have a small fire place that eats about 1/2 cord a year.

This year I will be cutting logs up to 40 inches in Diameter, then splitting it all for my sister-in-law. She just got a new wood stove and needs about 9 cords on the ground this year.

I am looking at saws in the 60 to 70 cc range and would like to hear from owners about the saw they have, what they like and dislike so I can make a decision.

Thanks for your advice

-- don't know your budget, maybe it doesn't matter, the big stihls and huskys are *very* nice, but for half that price you can get into an echo at 60 ccs (look online for the best prices) with a consumer five year warranty. At only ten cords a year, you should be fine. Just get it set up at the dealers first (pay his half hour minimum, it's worth it), then after a few tanks take it back for another adjustment, then they should be good to go. I've cut up to a 36 inch oak with my 600p and a 20 inch bar, sliced it right up, and smaller stuff, pfft, right through it easy. Sharp chain, even safety chain, works perfectly fine for the smaller stuff. The same applies really to a husky or stihl, get that setup and adjustment first, new saws are boned from the git-go because of smog regulations so they need tweaking, and the chain should be matched to what you are really cutting, and only you know what that is.

shagbark hickory though, different story, I think before I cut more I will get a different chain...like cutting rocks...needs like titanium dipped in diamonds or something chain... there's some discussion on appropriate chain on the chainsaw forum for really nasty tough dirty wood, and hopefully you won't find any!

And you might be interested in this thread as well when it comes to splitting:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/161569.htm

A Stihl 460 would pair up very well with your 025, and it's a fun big saw but they're a bit pricey. If you're tight on money, get a Makita 6401, maybe used from the Home Depot rental fleet, and you can later slip on a 79cc cylinder and piston kit.

On the other hand, why stop at 2 saws?

Have fun,

Olyeller

Occassionall 40in. stuff = 70cc. 441/460/372/etc.
A lot of 40in. stuff = 85cc+. 385/390/660/etc.

Pick a pro saw that you think feels the best and you will be good. If going used I'm sure there are more options.

I would go with the 460 mate. I have recently got myself an 044 and it is really nice to use a saw that doesn't seem to struggle with anything i can throw at it. Don't get me wrong, 40" is probably twice the size that i would ever have to cut but the 460 is a great balance between power and weight.

The Dolmar 7900 or Makita 7900/7901 has the best power to weight ratio and will probably be a bit cheaper new. It also has a few more cc's, but it's up to you at the end of the day. If you stick with Stihl then you know you are getting more or less bullet proof reliability and a few thousand people behind you on this site! Do you have one local dealer that is particularly better than the other?

Good luck and keep us updated!

You are in Kentucky, so I assume that means plenty of hardwood. Even in pine, I do not bother with a 60cc saw once it gets above 20". To pull through 40" with any sort of decency, you need 70cc's and a 28" bar or longer. If 14-15lbs is OK with you, and less than $1G is the goal, you may consider the MS460, 372XP(W), and 7900. I use a 372XP for such work with a 28" bar, and I am considering getting a longer bar. You will burn through 9 cords with a 70cc saw, and struggle with a 60cc if it is decent sized wood.

I recently purchased a Husky 365sp, and I've already gone through a 38" hardwood with no problem what so ever. I've only got a 20" bar on it (original one it came with), so had to make two cuts... but it didn't even break a sweat, and I think it could probably take a 24" or maybe a 28" bar and run it well. Great saw, love it to death.

I don't know if it's classified as a pro model or not, but the dealer said the 365 Special (he stressed the special for some reason) is just a 372xp with a different piston. He called it a pro saw, and if you compare the two (365sp and 372xp) they're identical in terms of overall design and materials used save for the piston and air filter ('till you upgrade the 365 of course :p).

I can't really say for sure if all he said is true, this is my first Husky and so... I'm really new to them.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the saw. Especially since I got it on a closeout sale. :D

40" trees are pretty big. You need something in the 70cc-95cc range imo. I would look at a 441 Stihl or 372xp Husqvarna would be good Up to a 36" bar but a bigger saw would do better in big wood. I run a 28" bar on my 372xp and would step up to a Stihl 660 or Husqvarna 390xp If I wanted to run a 36" bar. If you get a 60cc saw it will have trouble with 40" trees, that being said most guys can get away with a 60cc saw for firewood duty. If you plan on cutting down the bigger trees I would go with 70cc and up.

Latest posts

Back