Which of these saws will respond best to woods porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like the 3 saw plan is a limbing saw, a mid-range felling/bucking saw and a big displacement saw for big wood.

Don't plan on just having one ported saw once you get it done though :)

Quoted FO TRUFF

Must of us nuts have more saws than we need. I enjoy running smaller, ported saws and they work for my needs. :)

That's what finally swayed me to go for the 550XP as my first ported saw over say a 70cc class saw. I have the 70cc and 80cc class covered and am very happy with how those saws cut. I tend to use 50cc saws the most of any other saws i have in stock form. Plus having a light small nimble saw that cuts way better and can run a bigger bar easily, sounds like the way to go for me over a bigger and heavier saw.

+1, I'd start with your 346 for the reasons stated above. Won't be long & You'll want the same treatment for the others. Before you know it you have a bad case of P.S.A.

I own a Snellerized 346...well...2 actually, and a Snellerized 372. The 346 are beasts, but I think the 372 is your winner here. 24"of full comp chisel for serious fast cutting and a 32" for when you need it. To give you a comparison, my stock 372 with 24" cuts as fast as the ported saw with 32".

If you find yourself saying "l don't need that much bar", then I would suggest ditching the 562, porting the 346 with 16-18", and running 24" on the 372. Quite the nasty combo, right there.

Okay, so.... For the first time, I've decided to have one of my saws ported, but I can't decide which one... I've been trying lately to stick to a three saw plan, and the three keepers are a 346xp NE, 562xp AT, and a 372xp xt. As far as condition goes, the 346 has the lowest run time, but none of the saws are less than good to very good condition. So, in your opinion, which is the best candidate for my first woods ported saw?

Amen, brother! My question/choices almost exactly! (Except my 372's pre-xt). Can't wait to read the rest of this one for the consensus.

Well, a little over 2 months later, and I went crazy and sold all 3 of the original saws that I had when I started this thread. I couldn't decide, so I started by buying a like new, 365/372 that was ported by Randy. I then ordered a brand new Wicked Worksaw 562xp(arriving today). And to top it all off, my new 550xp is with Randy, awaiting his treatment.
If winter ever ends up here in the northeast, I may actually get to run these saws. As of right now, it's snowing at a rate of 2"-3" per hour, so it'll most likely have to wait until another day before I can try the new 562.
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, I picked up a Ms201t that's on my bench getting the BSnelling fix. I've yet to decide if I'm keeping that one or not, but if it runs as good as they claim it will with a muffler mod, timing advance, and carb adjustment, I've got a feeling I'll be keeping it.
Time will tell if it was all worth it :)

It seems that I've got an accelerated form of PSA, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Last I heard, there is not a cure. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, a little over 2 months later, and I went crazy and sold all 3 of the original saws that I had when I started this thread. I couldn't decide, so I started by buying a like new, 365/372 that was ported by Randy. I then ordered a brand new Wicked Worksaw 562xp(arriving today). And to top it all off, my new 550xp is with Randy, awaiting his treatment.
If winter ever ends up here in the northeast, I may actually get to run these saws. As of right now, it's snowing at a rate of 2"-3" per hour, so it'll most likely have to wait until another day before I can try the new 562.
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, I picked up a Ms201t that's on my bench getting the BSnelling fix. I've yet to decide if I'm keeping that one or not, but if it runs as good as they claim it will with a muffler mod, timing advance, and carb adjustment, I've got a feeling I'll be keeping it.
Time will tell if it was all worth it :)

It seems that I've got an accelerated form of PSA, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Last I heard, there is not a cure. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You lucky to get that 365/372 haha

Who did you sell them all to???

Well, the 372 and 562 were sold locally, and the 346 went to tacomatrd.
I'm still considering buying a nice ported 346, if the opportunity arises, just so I can compare it to the 550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the 372 and 562 were sold locally, and the 346 went to tacomatrd.
I'm still considering buying a nice ported 346, if the opportunity arises, just so I can compare it to the 550.

Don't look back.. the 550XP in my opinion stomps a 346. I do think you can squeeze just a hair out of a 346 more than the 550 but I'm not 100% on that and the 550 never needs the tuning screw driver. I love a 346 or a 350 for that matter.. but if someone offered me a 550 for a swap on some saws.. I'd never look back at all. They are a dang fin saw to run and the stock power and smooth... yeah they get it on.

My Wicked Worksaw 562 just arrived :)
57f0be491a6ebf8a34e65e4873e56fc0.jpg

Now if it would stop snowing, I could go try it out. This is a drift I had to shovel this morning, and it's still snowing. Mind you, this path was clear 24hrs ago.
ac2b2840613230f0b80b154c095c4912.jpg

0571a4e83c1f19ced9c314e256c8ed2e.jpg

You have a nice setup of saws wouldn't add a thing,I'm sure it's in good hands I'm down to three and that's the way it's staying,I think I'm going to work on some sq chain sharping it makes running these saws even more enjoyable

Latest posts

Back