Which one MS460 or 372XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidjohnson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a larger saw and I have read a lot of the old posts/debates. It will be used equally on soft (Pine) and hard (oak) woods. I will probably pit a 25 inch bar on it. I have narrowed it down to these two saws (MS460/372XP). The stihl seems bulkier/heavier but they have the best support in my area. I have no experience with Husky, but it seems many on this board swear by them. I have read that some people say they feel buzzy and cheap in their hands. There are not many Husky dealers in my neck of the woods short of a Lowes. If it's the better saw though, I can make it happen.

Anyhow, which one or should I just flip a coin?

MS460
372XP (if this saw, which model)

gracias

DJ

Well I would pick the 461 over the 460 for the little extra power and better mileage if you go with stihl. I'm partial to husky so I say go 372 all the way.

I say run them both then go with your gut. if you do decide to go with the stihl i would grab the 461 as mentioned above. i think you cant go wrong either way.

I currently own both an old, frankensaw'd-up 460 and an old, but 'babied' non-xt 372xp.

My personal favorite is the husqvarna. It is kind of an Objective/Subjective thing.

Between the two saws listed, I vote 372.

A 365(xt) can be had for less, is the same size (cc), and can be Easily "up-powered".

Jonsered is a brand you should look at, if you have a local dealer. Think 2172/2166.

Have you considered the 441cM?

ETA: No love for the 440? They're going away.

The ms460 has a little more grunt. Pick which feels the best in your hands. I have a ms460 and love it. Also just got a new johnny 2172 and that is a smooth cutting machine. Really no wrong choice.

Local dealer support can be a big +. The MS 460 with a muffler mod is an awesome saw. I have one and am very pleased with it.

If you're not a hater of new technology then you might want to consider 441CM. OR 461 for a little more power and a normal carb. :)

I have a 046 with a 25" and its a very nice fit, but i've heard lots of good stuff bout the 372 and the newer stihls so you only have the right choices here, pick the one you like. :)

My pick would be the 372, BUT I would opt for the Stihl because of the local dealer support in your area. I think a good dealer close by is very important in a new saw purchase. If you do buy the Husky, there is plenty of help here (Lowes, not so much).

Thanks all. Sounds like a Ford Chevy thing, they are both good.

What is a fair price for each?

Pretty much anything is a fair price for a 372xp -- they are that good! Just kidding; I just love some 372 action. I had it buried in a huge beech for a good part of the afternoon yesterday:D Man I love that saw. I, of course, would say the 372 all day; however, if you are thinking of a Stihl you have received good advice--look at the 441 or 461 with technology updates. The 441 CM is a bit heavier that the 372 but has had rave reviews from those that use it for a living.

get them both :laugh: depending on what your cutting ,if its smaller stuff 24 and under the xpw will be faster ,if your cutting bigger stuff where a 32 inch bar is burried id go 461 for the extra tourque

Back