Which ported 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to check back and see if this thread went off topic:givebeer::givebeer:

I do have a brand new NE346xp non CAT on it's way:clap:I thought long and hard about the 550xp and even held one in my hands for awhile.The 550xp is different looking compared to the 346xp.I will be getting an orange clutch cover for it to so if anyone wants to buy a silver clutch cover never used that fits a few different models I got one coming?

If you don't want people upset with you why do you consistently make statements like that the ones in this thread?

And if you never port another saw it will not hurt your income in the least....we all know that this is just a hobby for you.

What statements Randy? I've simply stated what I believe to be the truth. Even if you strongly disagree with them, that still give you no right to start throwing personal attacks.

What statements Randy? I've simply stated what I believe to be the truth. Even if you strongly disagree with them, that still give you no right to start throwing personal attacks.

You ported one 550. It didn't do very well. (Mine was great) (So was John's) (I think Mitch was pleased too)

Now they ain't worth porting. (Only in your mind)

See what I'm getting at? (of course not)

It's always the same #### with you....over and over and over. I'm just tried of it.

Now you'll act all "why is he attacking me?"......just like always.

I'm done with this. Moving on.

Just wanted to check back and see if this thread went off topic:givebeer::givebeer:

I do have a brand new NE346xp non CAT on it's way:clap:I thought long and hard about the 550xp and even held one in my hands for awhile.The 550xp is different looking compared to the 346xp.I will be getting an orange clutch cover for it to so if anyone wants to buy a silver clutch cover never used that fits a few different models I got one coming?

Clutch cover color is a big negative on these new saws. Randy's gonna be doing a 562xpw for me that we're ordering. As soon as I get it back from him, I'll have that clutch cover off and take it to be powdercoated to match Husky Orange. :msp_wink:

Clutch cover color is a big negative on these new saws. Randy's gonna be doing a 562xpw for me that we're ordering. As soon as I get it back from him, I'll have that clutch cover off and take it to be powdercoated to match Husky Orange. :msp_wink:

How many seconds faster is the orange clutch cover?:hmm3grin2orange:

it's a ocd thing. you wouldnt understand.:msp_biggrin: Very particular.:msp_wink: was gonna hold out for the 2260 to get the better looking variant- but Im tired of waiting. When i saw Parrisw thread on the full wrap model- it was a done deal.

faster- I wouldn't know. Probably spend most of it's time on the shelf next to the others.

Last edited:
I don't want to start an argument but I think that hot rodded NE346xp on ebay would blow away any 50cc saw any of you builders could build:hmm3grin2orange:

That guy that builds those saws is the All Being Master of Time, Space, and Dimension.

I will probably take that cover when you get ready to swap it.

But you are only going by the one that in my opinion you ####ed up beyond repair. It kills me the way you spout #### off like it's a fact based on very limited info. Just because you didn't get good gains by over-porting a 550 does not mean that they aren't there.

John went mild.....got great gains.

I went mild.......got great gains.

You screwed yours up.

Where is the untrue statement?

You ported one 550. It didn't do very well. (Mine was great) (So was John's) (I think Mitch was pleased too)

Now they ain't worth porting. (Only in your mind)

See what I'm getting at? (of course not)

It's always the same #### with you....over and over and over. I'm just tried of it.

Now you'll act all "why is he attacking me?"......just like always.

I'm done with this. Moving on.

I went back and found exactly what I did to my 550. Where you're coming up with all this crap is beyond me. Look at your attitude when I built the saw. Contrast that to tonight.

I ported the 550 today. The first thing that totally shocked me was the port timing. This thing only had 6* blowdown! I checked and double checked. Exhaust is all the way down at 109 and the transfer way up at 115. The intake was 73, IIRC. I decided to raise the exhaust enough to give it 10* of blowdown. I dropped the intake to 78*. The exhaust got widened a LOT, to get it to 70%. I slightly widened the transfers and strato ports, as I do on all stratos. I tightened the squish from .028" to .017".

The before cut time was 7.12 and after was only 6.93. I basically gained nothing. I'm going to go back in it and give it a popup piston and remove the base gasket. I'm not inclined to raise the transfer to get the 6* blowdown back.

I'm wondering if the carb is maxed out, either by flow, or by the electronic fuel control. I hear that the diagnostic tool will show the percentage of max possible fuel that it's using. I might have to send it back north to see where it's at.

As you can read, the final port timing was
Exhaust - 105°
Transfers - 115° (Still stock)
Intake - 78°

And you're calling this over-ported and screwed up? Just for the record, my 550 ran great!

I cut a small popup and ditched the base gasket tonight. The popup is only about .020" tall, so didn't expect much change, and it didn't. The cut time is the same as last nights. Don't get me wrong, the saw runs fantastic with excellent throttle response. Just letting the saw self feed, it'll turn 13,000 or better in the cut. With a medium load it turns about 11,000. To get it down to 10,000 you really have to lean on it. I'm just not finding the gains you would expect from porting. I'll play with the carb next.

The following comments were after I ruined the carb looking for additional gains. My how things have changed!

If you're gonna make an omelet........ya gotta break some eggs. :cool2:

I have a few jugs that I "overcooked".......and a few that I destroyed in the process of learning how to run a burr at 20,000 rpm. I also have a box with carbs that I've killed......I keep that stuff as a reminder of what not to do. :laugh:

I really enjoy that way we all share results and info. I don't miss the days when the builders were all about cutting each others throats. If Brad hadn't took the plunge on the 261 we would all most likely still be wondering where the gains were in that saw.

I haven't changed Randy. You have.

Last edited:
H J

But you are only going by the one that in my opinion you ####ed up beyond repair. It kills me the way you spout #### off like it's a fact based on very limited info. Just because you didn't get good gains by over-porting a 550 does not mean that they aren't there.

I feel better now. :clap:

There are a few guys that spout out here on AS on vary limited information and people think it's fact and nothing get's said about that

JMO

Now back to your regular scheduled programming :msp_wink:

:popcorn:

H J

There are a few guys that spout out here on AS on vary limited information and people think it's fact and nothing get's said about that

JMO

Now back to your regular scheduled programming :msp_wink:

:popcorn:

Lately, it seems as though everyone's allowed an opinion, except me. Go figure:dizzy: What ever happened to disagreeing with someone's opinion and moving on?

Neither of us has changed at all Brad. Some of the things you have posted over the last few weeks have perhaps opened my eyes to how you operate. You don't think of anyone else when you post. I've tried to forget about it but I'm not very good at that it seems.

Let's just say I think much less of you than I did a month or two ago.

BTW.....most of what you did in the jug wasn't needed. The timing numbers aren't the only thing to consider.

Congrats on the new saw:clap: You'll have a fantastic saw, regaurdless of who you have build it. All of the guys here do good work. Most importantly, have fun with it!

I don't care if it makes it slower,I just like the way it looks.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back