Which Saw: MS290, 455Rancher, 346XP ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Very new to cutting and burning my own firewood.
I installed wood burning stove last season and saved a bunch of money by not having to buy propane.
Most of the wood I burned last year, I had to purchase at about $150 per cord.
Here in Ohio there is an abundance of ash trees for firewood
and everybody and their cousin is selling ash firewood.

I have the choice of three saws to buy (cheap) that have been offered to me by friends.
An older Stihl MS290 and newer Husqvarna 455 Rancher or Husqvarna 346XP.
All have 20" bars & chains. All are in excellent condition.

Which do I choose?

Thanks for that vote.

Which saw is easier to work on as far as maintenance and parts costs?

Which is easiest to mod (muffler)?
Anybody in NW Ohio help me with a muffler mod? (send me a pm)

Last edited:
346xp. Porfesional saw, and plenty of parts out there. Made to take abuse that would kill lesser saws and still keep running.

Is it mainly the weight to power ratio that gives the 346xp the edge?

The 346 is by far the best saw there...although the other two are totally adequate saws. My dad has a rancher 55 and has been very happy with it. Its a great firewood saw, but its no pro saw. Hope this helps!

The 455 and 290 are "mid-range" saws. ie, they are made for more than occasional use but are not a commercial type saw that may be used on a daily basis. For the average firewood cutter, any of those three will last for at least a decade. The 346 is a "professional" grade saw and all things being equal would be the best value. The 455 and 290 probably run about $400 ish new. The 346 is more in the $500 dollar range. They all are common models so keeping them running with parts shouldn't be a problem.

Get the 346 for sure. All are good saws, but the 346 is best weight /power saw. If you can afford it, go ahead and get one of the others for a back up saw. The 55 probably uses the same chain and bar which would be convenient if you don't like variety.

I realize that I'm late to the party but I almost thought this was a trick question... 346XP all the way.

The other two are not in the same league.

Service wise, I'm not sure what you're looking for only cutting firewood. Rim/sprocket changes, air filter cleaning, fuel filter and or line... Blah theyre all easy, they are all on par. Carb cleaning, I'd say 290, it comes out the easiest. You shouldn't have any other maintenance issues that would set them apart really. But the largest amount of factoring should come from use. 346 hands down.

like said before all great saws....but....im trying to find a reason why not....can't....oh hell why not join in.... 346XP!:hmm3grin2orange:

Did your friends tell you what 346XP version is being offered?

Original = ~45cc
New Edition = ~50cc (should have silver clutch cover)

As others have stated, I'd take a 346XP (new edition) every time with 16-18" bar. Set it up for .325 pitch rim, bar, and chain.

Last edited:
Also:

Everybody needs a god 50cc saw IMO, so why not get what many consider the best ever made in that class with the NE346XP?

Putting it another way, you can always get a 290 or 455 secondhand, but you may want to trade it for something better after a while. With the NE346XP, you will have no regrets. Well, except that you'll have to get used to swapping bars and chains on an outboard clutch, but that's no biggie. ;)

I've run an MS290 to heavy for the power to weight ratio. The 455 rancher seems ok. BUT the 346xp would be the one I would choose because of its a higher grade of saw IMO.

Back