Which Saw: MS290, 455Rancher, 346XP ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did your friends tell you what 346XP version is being offered?

Original = ~45cc
New Edition = ~50cc (should have silver clutch cover)

Thank you, and all the others, for your expertise. What color would the old clutch cover be?
If it is the original vision of the 346XP is it still better than the other two?

The 346XP is at least 4 years old.

Thank you, and all the others, for your expertise. What color would the old clutch cover be?
If it is the original vision of the 346XP is it still better than the other two?

The 346XP is at least 4 years old.
The clutch cover on the OE is the same as the rest of the saw.

New or old edition doesn't make a difference in this comparison ;) I'd take either one.

If I am not mistaken the 455 comes with a 3/8 20 bar and chain.This IMHO is a bit much even for the 346 with a 20 BC even with a 325 chain.Ken

A 20" 3/8 bar&chain actually is more than I would want on any of the saws listed, but peoples expectations does of course vary.

I simply would want a larger saw for that set-up, if the set-up is the main one.

Last edited:
A 20" 3/8 bar&chain actually is more than I would want on any of the saws listed, put peoples expectations does of course vary. I would want a larger saw for that set-up, if it is the main one.

I agree fully with Niko on this one. Wow did I really just say that.:hmm3grin2orange:

If I am not mistaken the 455 comes with a 3/8 20 bar and chain.This IMHO is a bit much even for the 346 with a 20 BC even with a 325 chain.Ken

I sharpened a friend of mines 455 the other day and that is exactly what was on it. Crappy double sharkfin chain, too.

In your case as a woodcutter it doesn't matter at all which saw you take! Each and every one is going to be sufficient for your needs. The 346 is the "hot rod pro model" among the choice, the 290 and 455 are actually intended for people with your needs. Cut some firewood with each and choose the one you feel most comfortable with. If the price and quality is right get the 346 if not get something else.
Any saw in the 50-60cc league is ideal in your situation. Who cares which company(Dolmar/Makita, Echo/Shindaiwa, Emak/Efco/Oleo Mac, Hitachi/Tanka, Husqvana/Jonsered/Mc Culloch/Partner/Poulan Pro, Solo/Cub Cadet, Stihl). Keep it well tuned, use full synthetic 2 stroke oil for air cooled engines, keep your chain sharp and don't forget your PPE(personal protection equipment= chaps, head, ear, eye protection). A nice forest axe and a splitting axe(Fiskars is generally considered top of the line) will finish the package. End of thread.

I sharpened a friend of mines 455 the other day and that is exactly what was on it. Crappy double sharkfin chain, too.

That's what came with my refurb 455r. Why do you call it crappy, please tell? Cuts just fine for me, with only problem being the on/off sharp/dull property of full chisel. (Spitting chunks one second; instant transition to spitting dust when dull at tips.)

I use a Granberg file guide for both cutters & depth gauges, so it's a no-brainer to do all the filing on "Vanguard" chain, but have not had cause to set depth gauges- only about 10-15 hrs on it. Won't make decisions based on rumors. :msp_rolleyes:

That's what came with my refurb 455r. Why do you call it crappy, please tell? Cuts just fine for me, with only problem being the on/off sharp/dull property of full chisel. (Spitting chunks one second; instant transition to spitting dust when dull at tips.)

I use a Granberg file guide for both cutters & depth gauges, so it's a no-brainer to do all the filing on "Vanguard" chain, but have not had cause to set depth gauges- only about 10-15 hrs on it. Won't make decisions based on rumors. :msp_rolleyes:

Oops- I failed to mention that I got that refurb 455r in 9/11 for $307 delivered from VMInnovations(dot)com. Other saws available there besides.

--Cuts fine until you do have to get to the depth gauges, then it is a lot of filing. It's Ok when it comes with the saw, but or a replacement,I would go to a regular pro chain. The one I did took 3-4 times as long and used up a lot more "sharp" on the file then a regular plain jane chain.

Don't get me wrong, I use a lot of safety chain, use them up, but that doesn't make them easier to file, my pro chain loops are just so much better.

The 455 and 290 are "mid-range" saws. ie, they are made for more than occasional use but are not a commercial type saw that may be used on a daily basis.

Ya know, for all the searching we've done for a good definition of saws that fall in between homeowner and pro, you nailed it in one sentence. :cool2:

To the original question...........346 hands down.

I just put a new bar and chain plus sprocket on my 346NE. What a nice saw to cut with. I prefer it over the junk MS 390 I had. Way smoother. I dont hesitate to cut 20 inch wood or bigger with my 346. So I dont care if I have to cut two ways. It cuts fast enough it dont matter! 15 inch wood one swipe and the game is over quick.

Last edited:
I just put a new bar and chain plus sprocket on my 346NE. What a nice saw to cut with. I prefer it over the junk MS 390 I had. Way smoother. I dont hesitate to cut 20 inch wood or bigger with my 346. So I dont care if I have to cut two ways. It cuts fast enough it dont matter! 15 inch wood one swipe and the game is over quick.

Rob, what specifically make the "390 Junk" Did you purchase the saw new or used?What is so bad about this saw besides it has a bit more weight? Hard starting, bad vibration,lack of power?
The reason I am asking is one is listed in my local paper.Thanks, Ken

Latest posts

Back