Which saw to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale3574

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 2 saws. One is a used Sachs Dolmar 112, the other is a new Stihl MS170. I am new to using a chainsaw, but will be doing some trail clearing for a off road vehicle park from time to time. Am I better off buying something new, or is the older saw better made?

Welcome to the site!

That Dolmar saw is much better made, but sourcing parts may be more of a challenge. The MS170 is a bloated, plastic piece of crap, in my experience.

As a new operator, I think you would be better suited with a new saw than an old one, unless you have a really strong inclination toward tinkering with small engines. You should, no, must, make sure you get proper protective gear, also. DO NOT skimp on this!

If I were advising a new sawyer, I'd suggest they look for something like a used Stihl 026, set it up with a short bar (13-16") and then have them read up a lot on cutting best practices. This way they'd have a solid machine that can be had at a good price, that you can get parts for anywhere, and that is a proven and indestructible design.

Welcome to the site!

That Dolmar saw is much better made, but sourcing parts may be more of a challenge. The MS170 is a bloated, plastic piece of crap, in my experience.

As a new operator, I think you would be better suited with a new saw than an old one, unless you have a really strong inclination toward tinkering with small engines. You should, no, must, make sure you get proper protective gear, also. DO NOT skimp on this!

If I were advising a new sawyer, I'd suggest they look for something like a used Stihl 026, set it up with a short bar (13-16") and then have them read up a lot on cutting best practices. This way they'd have a solid machine that can be had at a good price, that you can get parts for anywhere, and that is a proven and indestructible design.

I agree on some of your points, PPE is most important and do not skimp on that! The 026 is a full on pro saw and vastly over kill for many novice users. The MS 170 is a fine saw.... bloated? hmm you tell me... Stock saw, seasoned hardwood. 10 year old 017.

Both of these saws are close to the same price. My whole family are mechanics, so working on a small engine would not be a problem. Just want something that will be good quality.

170 el cheapo quality, dolmar 112 pro quality.

What would I buy for your task?
Get a Poulan pro 2050 for ~200$, WAY better saw than the 170.

Alternativ, get the Dolmar 421 for ~300$, one of the best saws out there in the 40cc class.

If it should be a smaller saw, get a Echo 400 for ~200$, do a muffler mod retune and be happy.

Personally I would forget any of your above suggestions, because there are MUCH better alternatives to be had.

Pm me i have a great saw for u...shindaiwa 360 ...150 shipped its totally ready to go and is better than a 170

Shindaiwa 360 in good shape for $150 is a pretty good deal.
3d5a69e41985035f9d7b282d18579136.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tell yeah what I own a ms290 and wish I bought a ms 250 instead because its lighter and I don't have a great back. I seen a dealer ad selling ms170's for like $159 plus or minu $10 more and really want to just buy one and use my ms290 only on bigger wood. I wish I bought a m 250 or a 361/362 whatever the deal was 2 years ago. I think it was a 361 older model and maybe $150 more... Should have went this route if I new my back would be a mess forever. So Im tempted to buy the 170 or sell my mint 290 for what seems like I could get almost what I paid and just get a new 250. ahh

Latest posts

Back