Which saw to get for cutting firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docshank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Currently I have a Husqvarna 350 and my Daddy has a Jonsered 2054. My Daddy still lives on the farm that I was raised on (He'll be 85 yrs. old in January), and he is the one that is burning wood for heat. I used to go out to the farm and help him cut firewood, but because of his age I try to do all of the cutting for him. Most of the trees that we cut are usually 2 feet in diameter and under, and occasionally we will have one 3 feet or a little over. Most of the trees are red oak, with some hickory, yellow poplar, and sycamore also. We have been getting by with these two saws for a few years now (both have 18" bars and we run Stihl RSC chain). The problem I have is I work second shift and most weekends I have to work, so I don't have alot of time. Since it is just me using the saw it takes longer, and I'm ready to give my son the Husky and get myself a bigger saw to maximize production in the small amount of time that I have to spend cutting firewood. Both saws are in good shape, the Josered seems like the better saw of the two. I believe it may be just a tad bigger saw and seems to run smoother in the cut than the Husky. Of course, I know that the 350 Husky is a consumer saw and isn't representative of the better built Husky's.

I've gotten my choices down to four saws, and I'm sure that all of them are actually overkill for my use, but I'd rather be overpowered and save some time than be underpowered and have to spend more time than I have to spend. The four saws are (1) Husqvarna 372XP (2) Jonsered 2171 (3) Stihl MS441 and (4) Dolmar PS7900. Whichever saw that I choose, I'm going to get a 20" and a 28" or 30" b/c combination, probably using full skip chain on the longer bar for the occasional larger tree trunk. On the larger tree trunks, Daddy always prefers that I saw them in discs and then split them in half or quarters (depending on size), because it is easier for him to handle.

I must say that dealer support doesn't mean much to me, because I always work on my own equipment (except if something is under warranty). I've only talked to one dealer so far, the Dolmar dealer. He quoted me a price for the PS7900 with 20" and 30" b/c combination at the price of $779.00. Is this a pretty good price for the Dolmar and what ballpark figures should I be expecting from the other brand saw dealers? I know that the Husqvarna and the Jonsered are basically the same saw except for color and angle of top handle and maybe a couple of other features. Of the four saws which do you think would be the best choice for the task at hand? Thanks in advance.

Docshank

Last edited:
Sounds like you have settled on the Dolly 7900 1950's vacuume cleaner look-a-like. And about what I boiled the same decision down to in a larger saw to complement my 361. I almost went for a 441 last summer. I am happy I held off though. I dunno squat about the Husky or the JonnyRed saws. 7900 is more saw than the 441, and if you are planning on running a 30 inch bar, would pro'lly be the better choice.

Amicks has a Dolly 7900 with a 20 inch bar for $660 (plus shipping). They seem to be middle of the road and reasonable, price-wise. Might wanna peek at their web site: http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_Chainsaws_s/163.htm

Good luck...

Hi,

in German forums mostly the people talks very good about the Dolmar PS 7900. Light, smooth an powerful. The only negative I read was, that the Dolmar is very thirsty.

I hope, I could help you.:cheers:

Roteiche

Hi,

in German forums mostly the people talks very good about the Dolmar PS 7900. Light, smooth an powerful. The only negative I read was, that the Dolmar is very thirsty.

I hope, I could help you.:cheers:

Roteiche

Well, you do not get a lot of power for nothing. My 460, which s comparable to the 7900 in power, sucked down gas faster than I can drink beer. But it could cut just about anything, and cut it fast. :cheers:

Although I am very pleased with my Husky 372, the 7900 seems like a perfect fit for what you plan to do.

Your trees are larger and harder than mine........:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
If i recall correctly the 372 and the 2171 are the same saw-Husky and jonny red are owned by the same parent company. electrolux

Both are good saws but lose out to the dolmar-

I have not run a 441 but it seems to be loosing favor-among the 440 owners

The dolmar is a great saw fast stong and light. When cutting anything of size it is my go to. I run mine with a 24 and full comp

if cost is an issue you can get the jonny red with the bag it drag it pretty cheap. The deal is that you bring any saw POS not running gonna toss in the garbage and they give you $150.00

If the $$ work then get the dolmar you will not be let down. If there are $$$ factors then look to jonny red.

Good luck
Kevin

If i recall correctly the 372 and the 2171 are the same saw-Husky and jonny red are owned by the same parent company. electrolux

It used to be that way, but now Husky (not E-lux) is the parent company for Jonsered, Patner, Poulan, Redmax etc.....

The OPE brands are cut off from E-lux, with Husky in the lead seat.

Whichever saw that I choose, I'm going to get a 20" and a 28" or 30" b/c combination, probably using full skip chain on the longer bar for the occasional larger tree trunk.

It really doesn't matter. Any of the four saws listed will be perfect with the 20" bar. And bigger bar with skip chain for occasional stuff. Remember to use the smallest bar you can for the task to maximize speed. 18 inch and 3/8 on your 350 is to push it imo... I have a 2171 with 20" 3/8 and it's really nice.
If you have already worked with your Husky and J-red you will quickly be familiar with the 372/2171 which could point you in that direction. You will be more than happy with any of the saws. I'd suggest to pick the one that feels best in your hands. Otherwise you can toss a coin ;)

You won't regret any one of them. Sounds like a killer deal on the 7900...if the dealer is decent, but you are looking at exactly the right saws for your needs.

Mark

Look at a Jonsered 2171.
I just purchased a 2171 Thursday of last week and I can't say enough good things about it. Jonsered has a deal going, when you bring an old saw in they will give you $150.00 for it on the spot towards a 2171. I got mine for $634.95. I cut wood all weekend and I have to say it is the best saw I have used. A saw is personal taste. What one person likes might not be someone else's likes.

I looked for these things in a saw:

1) How it felt in my hands
2) Weight
3) Parts availability
4) Warranty (2 years on Jonsered saws)
5) Dealer support
6) Reliability record

I narrowed it down to Dolmar 7900 and Jonsered 2171. I felt both saws and I did not like the feel of the 7900 as much as the 2171. The 7900 and 2171 are very close in weight. I also felt a little uncomfertable on reading about getting parts for Dolmar.

So after spending over a month of deciding, I purchased the 2171, and running it I must say I have no regrets. This saw is the smoothest running saw I have owned. It feels right for me.

My last large saw before the 2171 was a Stihl 046. It had a 90 day warranty and just after the 90 days I started to have problems. After 2 carbs and a cylinder, piston and rings I felt that was enough and sold it. I used my Shindaiwa 488 after I sold the 046. Yea it is small and slow but the funny thing is it never let me down. Stihl had problems with the 046's in the past which has been fixed after I sold my saw. But the reason I stay away from Stihl products is based on my past experience. Not anyone else's.

If you have good dealer support with Stihl, Jonsered, Husqvarna, Dolmar or who ever try to stay with that dealer. All the professional saws are good. But you have to decide which will fit you better.

Last edited:
Jonsered Deal is interesting.

The Jonsered deal is interesting, do all Jonsered dealers have this program going. My Daddy has got an old Poulan (a little top handle saw) that hasn't ran for years. I have a Jonsered dealer about 20 miles away.

The price on the Dolmar does include both sizes of bars and chains.

Any ballpark figures on the 372XP and MS441 with comparable b/c setup?

Thanks

Docshank

The Jonsered deal is interesting, do all Jonsered dealers have this program going. My Daddy has got an old Poulan (a little top handle saw) that hasn't ran for years. I have a Jonsered dealer about 20 miles away.

Not every dealer is participating, but as I understand it, most do.

However, be advised that, for the 2171, it is $150 off list price. So if your dealer was selling them for less than list, you won't get the full $150 off of that price.

For the smaller saws, I think the discount drops to $100 - $125 this year.

my 7900 saves me time and makes me money every time I use it.
the bigger more powerful saws are heavier,but you can do so much more work in the same amount of time,the extra weight is soon forgotten.
all the saws you mentioned are firewood making animals,but the price of the Dolmar is an added plus.

I cannot stress enough to look at all the saws. Pick them up and get a feel for each one. If you can run a demo, do it. This will help you narrow the choices. Remember the most powerful saws is not always the best fit. It is how it fits you not anyone else. I feel the more you feel comfortable with a saw the safer and less tiring cutting can be.

Then look at warranty. Things can break or have defects at times as I found out.

If you can service your own saw that is an added plus. But make sure you have a reliable parts source and a good dealer is a big help.

You guys are really giving me the itch... :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with other dealers.

I just got off the phone with the other dealers.

One dealer(about 40 miles away) that handles Stihl and Husqvarna quoted 372XP with 20" and 28" b/c for $844.00. MS441 with same b/c combo for $858.00

The Jonsered dealer (about 20 miles away) quoted 2171 with 20" b/c and old poulan trade in for $629.00.

Both of these dealers carry the saws in stock and carry a full line of parts, plus repair saws if needed.

Docshank

The price on the Dolmar does include both sizes of bars and chains.

Any ballpark figures on the 372XP and MS441 with comparable b/c setup?

Thanks

Docshank

just looked at the ame set of saws and bought a 2171. Best I could do on a 441 was 770 with 2 bars, 4 chains (Michigan sales tax included) Husky was about $ 30 more and Dolmar was 700 mail order (no dealer here).

I got the Jred for 550 with 24 " bar and 2 chains - need to get a 20 " bar and 2 chains ($ 50 ) approx.

Love the saw it is very smooth and eats up 30 " red and white oak. No complaints

192T 14", 036 16, 18, 20 " bar, Jonsered 24" bar 20 on the way:cheers:

Back