Which saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar PS-6100 (or Makita twin) - good power, weight and handling (from what I have read, I don't own one)

or

Dolmar PS-7900/7910 (or Makita twin) - pure awesomeness in a nice package, powerful, very sturdy and durable :chainsaw:

Alternatively, even though she's being shamed as too heavy for her power here on AS, the Dolmar PS-6400 (or successor, or Makita twin) is a very solid saw with lots of power to tackle even large logs - set up with a 20" B&C she's my main go-to-saw in my personal lineup! :heart: :)

Dolmar PS-6400 & PS-7900 , 20" B&C:
Dolmar PS-6400 PS-7900 1.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 PS-7900 2.JPG

Dolmar PS-7900 , 36" B&C:
Dolmar PS-7900 36inch Iggesund Forest R2 1.JPG Dolmar PS-7900 36inch Iggesund Forest R2 2.JPG Dolmar PS-7900 36inch Iggesund Forest R2 3.JPG

Last years workload, pictured Dolmar PS-6400 with 20" B&C:
oak logs.JPG

I will not comment on any other brands as I never used anything else then Dolmar, there seem to be good ones though.

[QUOTE="CascadeHusky, post: 5838661, member: 135308"If you buy a 70-80cc saw, that 440e will inevitably continue to be used as more than just a backup. That isn't a good thing. 2.4hp is for one handed climbing saws.[/QUOTE]

By this do you mean that the 70-80cc saw would be to big/heavy to do the bulk of the cutting?

By this do you mean that the 70-80cc saw would be to big/heavy to do the bulk of the cutting?

It's something to consider. I shouldn't have said "inevitably", but it is a real possibility depending on the user. Take away my 50cc and 60cc saws and give me a 440e and I'll just use my 70cc for everything on the ground. That isn't the case for everyone.

The flip side of what I said is that if a saw is mainly used to cut firewood in close proximity to vehicle (no real carrying and limited felling) then using an oversized saw isn't actually all that difficult, and whether a saw weighs 9.8 or 11.2 lbs isn't that big of a deal.

Basically I'm just saying that although a 7901 may have the best $/horsepower ratio doesn't mean it is the best saw for everyone simply because it is in their price range.

Nice photos wde_1978

How would a ea6100 compare to a dcs7901 running 28"- 30" bars?

In the photo of last years workload, did the 6400 cut the wider logs ok with the 20" bar?

Go try handling 60cc class saws from the local dealers. Interview each dealer during the process and go with your gut as to what is best for you.

Nice photos wde_1978

How would a ea6100 compare to a dcs7901 running 28"- 30" bars?

In the photo of last years workload, did the 6400 cut the wider logs ok with the 20" bar?

A 7901 will easily outclass the 6100 with a 28" bar buried.

But in softwood, the 6100 at 4.6hp will cut plenty well if you have sharp pro chain.

While horsepower rating doesn't mean everything; 440e @2.4hp, [email protected], and [email protected]
those numbers do have useful meanings.

Thrift drifter I started with a PS6400 then upgraded it to a 7900. In 64cc form it cut dry euc no problem with a 20 inch bar. I would say it will blast through poplar. You could go down the same path, start at 64cc and do the upgrade, its an easy job. If the 64cc does the job then leave it as is if you go for the upgrade you will have a 79cc at the same cost as buying it in 79cc form from scratch. The only issue is you probably can't buy the PS6400 in NZ anymore (they stopped selling them here last year when the 6100 came out).
Any of the saws you listed will feel much stronger than a 44e and will do the job. If you go for a bigger saw you may have a pretty big gap between the small and big saw. I personally have a 550xp and a PS7900. I had the PS6400 first then the 550xp. As the 550 freed up I felt the gap between the two was closing so I upgraded to the 7900.
You may want to think a bit more long term 40, 60 and 90cc.

I agree the best bang for your buck would be a dolmar 6400/6401, i had the Makita version from Home Depot rental, cost me $275. That said, it was pretty much the same weight as the Stihl 046, so i sold it. I don't think 70cc is overkill, 90cc might be. And why get a 60cc the same weight as a 70cc, and think about an upgrade later? If you can get it (dolmar) cheap, or if your hands are sensitive and you want spring AV, or if those types of trees create fine sawdust and air injection is preferred, then yes, but then husky 562/372 is in play too.

Just been doing some price comparisons, prices are converted and shown in USD

Husqvarna USA - 440e $299.95 & $309.95 562xp $739.95

Husqvarna NZ - 440e(gen II) $606.33. 562xp $1293.19

So for roughly the price of an NZ 440e, in the states I could swing a 550xp.

Even worse, for the price of an NZ 562xp, I could get a 395xp and have change left to buy me a nice bottle of whiskey!

And to top it all off, the Husqvarna USA webpage, loads the pages quicker then Husqvarna NZ!

I think most advice in these situations is given by longtime members who think it is normal to want to work on their saws.

Who think that buying a saw with the intention of spending several hundred dollars down the road to buy more cc's is a typical thing.

Who understand that chainsaws are easy to work on, and that you can have good used pro saw(and thus pro performance)at 1/3 the cost of new because they have several saws and truly enjoy working on them, whether they need it or not.

Most people, and thus new members are better served with a landowner type saw that they can cut 100 cords with trouble free and then buy a new one in 10 years.

The advice we give rarely reflects this, because we think CAD is normal. No one in the asylum thinks that they are crazy, they KNOW everyone else is.

Nice photos wde_1978
Thanks, I love this saw family - they're awesome! :heart:

Both my Dolmar's PS-6400 & PS-7900 shared equally the workload of that firewood pile. Both wearing 20" B&C setups.
The Dolmar PS-6400 has no problems pulling a 20" B&C setup fully buried in oak, that been said the Dolmar PS-7900 flat out hauls a$$!

Those tree trunks got downsized by two sided cutting where it was necessary - no issues whatsoever.
The trunks that were wider that 20"x2 had to be noodled a bit or I made use of my wedges to break the leftover center.

I now have a 36" B&C setup, I got it after finishing off that wood pile, but 20" is plenty and served me well for 10 years!

Thanks for all your replies and advice guys, much food for thought.

Hey CascadeHusky some really good considerations. Da bro and myself are very much the do it yourself types, not scared to pull things apart and have a look(fingers crossed there are no parts left over after reassembly) and we would both prefer to have power in reserve than to be left wanting so to speak.

Gonna go with the bro on the weekend, have a look at some of the dealers in town and handle some saws.

Might have to show the Husky dealer the USA prices and ask watsup!

The missus(wife) calls me crazy all the time and I do love the smell of avgas and castor oil being burnt.

Thanks for all your replies and advice guys, much food for thought.

Hey CascadeHusky some really good considerations. Da bro and myself are very much the do it yourself types, not scared to pull things apart and have a look(fingers crossed there are no parts left over after reassembly) and we would both prefer to have power in reserve than to be left wanting so to speak.

Gonna go with the bro on the weekend, have a look at some of the dealers in town and handle some saws.

Might have to show the Husky dealer the USA prices and ask watsup!

The missus(wife) calls me crazy all the time and I do love the smell of avgas and castor oil being burnt.

Awesome. Hang around here, there is lot to learn and help to be had. And also some good humor.

Personally, I dont cut enough now to see myself shelling out the money for a new 70cc+ pro saw anytime soon. But you won't catch me with less than pro grade.

Disclaimer..last year I spent about $2000 on 6 saws...I've sold 3...probably should have just bought 1 or two new ones...but where is the fun in that?

Hi again.

Update, the bro and I went to have a look at some of the dealers in town.

Lots of nice saws out there.

Stihls - ms381, ms362 beautiful saws, great feel, liked the dealer, too expensive.
Huskys - 570AT, 562xp bro loved the 562(nice saw) dealer ok, too expensive.
Shindys/Echo - 600sx, 590, nice quality saws, dealer hmmm......, price good.
Makita - dcs7901/7301, ea6100p, good quality saws, liked the dealer, price awesome.

Bro keen on the 6100 seems good to me too, and the price can't argue with it.

Is the 6100 a pro quality saw?

Out of curiosity, does any know how the 6100 compares to the 6400?(6400 unavailable over here)

Cheers

Hi again.

Update, the bro and I went to have a look at some of the dealers in town.

Lots of nice saws out there.

Stihls - ms381, ms362 beautiful saws, great feel, liked the dealer, too expensive.
Huskys - 570AT, 562xp bro loved the 562(nice saw) dealer ok, too expensive.
Shindys/Echo - 600sx, 590, nice quality saws, dealer hmmm......, price good.
Makita - dcs7901/7301, ea6100p, good quality saws, liked the dealer, price awesome.

Bro keen on the 6100 seems good to me too, and the price can't argue with it.

Is the 6100 a pro quality saw?

Out of curiosity, does any know how the 6100 compares to the 6400?(6400 unavailable over here)

Cheers
The 6100 is the arguably the best built 60cc saw. Very well built. Excellent power and speed.
The 6400 from my understanding has a bit more torque, but has a bit more weight. I also doubt the 6400 would start as easy as the 6100 and the 6100 is going to have the best fuel milage. Even better then husky 562.

The 6100 is no doubt a excelent saw, although I am not as enthusiastic as CoreyB. Of course there are always better or worse alternatives always depending on type of personal requirements. As a firewood saw I see it similar that it definately belongs to the top picks! As a brand trying to gain more market shares the prices are, at least over here, almost impossible to beat!

The bro's new saw and his "dog"
image.jpg

The bro's new saw and my DOG
image.jpg

What type of chain is this? Dealer said it was full chisel non safety .
image.jpg

Thanks for all you suggestions and advice guys, it has made the saw selection process an educated one as opposed to a stab in the dark.

Cheers

Chisel non safety is not quite correct. Chisel is correct, non safety ... let's call it semi safety. :D It has the small "bumps" on the non cutting parts that definately reduce the chance of kickback. Although absolutely NOTHING to say against it. I would choose the same any day of the week for a non pro firewooder.

What I have to critisize is that there is definately something wrong on the pics!
First the saw is still unused... ;)
Second there is some kind of brown protuberance on the grip. What is that? Is it a mobile phone holder for chainsaws... :crazy2::laugh:
And third those Dogs have clearly that look "what are we posing for? Shouldn't we be out in the woods having fun apporting some tree trunks to be cut up!?"

that is one fine looking dog you have. I love brindle.
What is the orange thing on the bar?
I hope you guys enjoy the 6100 as much as I do.

I take it that saw mitts are frowned upon here at A.S. Or is it just the colour, maybe a pink one would be more appropriate?

Thanks CoreyB, I love the brindle too. American staffy x American bulldog. Great family dog.

Back