Which Saws Would You Pick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJLOGGER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:popcorn: It seems that some new saws have come out this year that are very good saws ie. dolmar 5100, stihl 461,361 etc. If you were going to buy a saw tomorrow, what would it be? Any saw, should it be for arborist work or felling etc.

AJLOGGER said:
:popcorn: It seems that some new saws have come out this year that are very good saws ie. dolmar 5100, stihl 461,361 etc. If you were going to buy a saw tomorrow, what would it be? Any saw, should it be for arborist work or felling etc.
Well that would all depend on what you are planning to use the saw for and how often that you planned on using it :biggrinbounce2: The 3rd thing would be.......how much money do you want to spend? I love my Stihl MS 361 :heart: but everyone has their own opinion :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

There was a thread much like this last week. I can't remember if it was in saws, or arbo 101, but it was the same type question. "Which one saw?" One saw won't cover it.

Me? Well you can see my signature, and except for the 056, I regularly use every one of them. The 361 is superb, and by "461" I'll assume you meant "441" and that sounds to be a fine saw and with it, time will tell.

But if I had to buy a new saw tomorrow, it'd be another 660.

Oh, that's easy, the homework's already been done!

KMB said:
Got my latest issue of Consumer Report magazine and saw that they rated chainsaws in this issue. Of course I checked it out, but nothing special. 26 models total were tested. For the electric models, the Husky 316 got top pick with the Poulan Pro 400E as second place (the Poulan got the Consumer Report Best Buy nod). For the gasoline models, the Stihl MS180C-BE (BE ?) was first, next the Husky 142, the Craftsman 35082, and finally the Echo CS-305-14. For those interested...:) .

Kevin

Seriously, likely a 260 pro.

Good choices Rich

other possible combo's

J 2159-2171
H 359-372
J 2156-2171
H 357-372

Too many choices, and I know you and I can't have just one saw or even 2 for that matter!!! :chainsaw:

xl2 for my Dad
020 small stuff
Makita 6104?? (Home Depot Rental saw) and/or 026 medium stuff
390 let my brother "borrow"
440 stuff
066 big stuff
084 milling or bigger stuff

and...

090 limbing (less then 3" dia :hmm3grin2orange: )

Interested in a Dolmar 9010 to play with, but haven't found one yet...:cry:

Andy

Last edited:
I'd say it would have to be a woodshark and a wildthing.

Thats the combo from hell, I think I would have to add an ax to the combo if I ever wanted to get work done.:hmm3grin2orange:

I think you need to have a 20ccish spread to make each saw have its niche.

Like 346/372
or 242/357or359
or you could go ms180, 357xp and a ms 460 or 385xp
With this last combo the bar length should be 14" 18" and 24" to meet the intended role of each.

What would I pick? Better question, what did I pick. I have been talking about it for a while, and I finally did it today. I went to my dealer and ordered a 5100 and a 7900. Paid a little more than I could have ordered online for, but I thought that it was a good idea to support Dolmar through the local dealer. Hopefully he will see an increase in sales as start stocking more saws.

I may have to thin the herd of existing saws a little. I hate selling off tools, but I expect that one of the 346's and the 385 will see very little use. I am sure that I will keep one of the 346's and the Stihl. I like a little variety.

Jim

Last edited:
TopJimmy said:
What would I pick? Better question, what did I pick. I have been talking about it for a while, and I finally did it today. I went to my dealer and ordered a 5100 and a 7900.

Alright - Team Dolmar! That 9010 sold you, huh? Been kicking around the idea of buying a 7900 - don't need one, just want one! Love my 5100 - a real fun saw to run. And, as far as I am concerned, the 5100 is the ONLY choice in the 50cc range. That saw has the best power, the best technology, the best price! Wish Dolmar would whip out a 100cc+ saw to round out their line-up.

Still pleased with my Shindaiwa saws - great, SOLID build quality IMO. The 757s are powerhouses - steady and torquey in the cut - not hot rods, more like a diesel truck. The 577s are rather quick with an 8 pin and 16" bar - too bad they aren't sold in the states because of the EPA - there are ways to get them, though! The 488s are nice saws, but can't compete with the Dolmar 5100S. And, the old horizontal cylinder saws 350/416/451/500/550 are all great machines with a good feel and look to them. Mine are all 2 pull saws. I'm sure most will/do think I am crazy, but I also drive International Trucks/Scouts :biggrinbounce2:

The 9010 did sell me. It is also like a diesel truck, 24" bar completely in the wood and it just keeps pulling. I love it. It is a tad heavy. I expect the 7900 to out cut the 385, I will let everyone know how they compare. With two 346's, I needed the 5100 like I need another hole in my head, but with all of the good talk around here I could not resist. I have been selling a bunch of unused equipment on Ebay and had money burning a hole in my pocket. If I was smart, I guess I would have invested the money, but I am not and have a couple of new saws to prove it. If I dump the 385 and a 346, the only thing that I feel that I need (read don't really need, but want) is a big brushcutter/clearing saw. If I get that, I will have to keep lurking around here to figure out what I need next.:biggrinbounce2: You guys are a bad influence.

Jim

In the old days... Stihl - 200, Stihl - 026, Stihl - 046
Today... Dolmar - 3410th, Dolmar - 5100, Dolmar 7900

I hope my new Dolmar saws hold up as good as the Stihls did for our Co...
So far so good.

:cheers:

Back