Which small saw, and advice on 2-3 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw would you prefer for limbing?

• 16" bar on your Stihl MS-261 (50cc) and stop being a baby

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Stihl MS-241 with 16" bar

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Stihl MS-241 with 14" bar

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Echo CS-361P with 16" bar

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Echo CS-361P with 14" bar

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Echo CS-352 with 14" bar

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other (specify in a post)

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
All those in favour of placing new saw orders through Overkill338 and seeing if he can get the discount even higher on volume say heck yes please.

I think my dealer should just give me a job as a salesman. I know more than sales team at other Stihl stores around here lol

Kiwi, I've actually given thought to a concept like that. Being a "broker". I make the purchase and ship you the saw. No Stihl rules broken :D

About the only thing our govt has ever done right here in NZ is pass legislation explicitly allowing the parallel importing of genuine name brand product outside the usual distribution channels. So, Stihl NZ can moan all they like, it's legal and, frankly, they asked for it to happen with their astronomical premiums down here. But trying to get a group of Kiwi's together to do a bulk buy is like trying to herd cats. I tried once, and most of them slinked off when it was time to put their money down on the table before we ordered.
The benefit of a buying group like that would have been the saws were not being onsold here, rather bought and used by the end consumer. If we took it one step further and started to retail them, seeking to make a profit from the arbitrage in prices, the law here states we have to match the local distributors warranty terms, which could become an issue. There are a few other IP-related things Stihl NZ could do, and have done, to try and stifle local grey-market/parallel-imported competition but they can't go after a bunch of kiwis that got together to buy a pallet or two of saws overseas for their own use. I'm pretty sure that fact annoys them a wee bit ;-)

I think my dealer should just give me a job as a salesman. I know more than sales team at other Stihl stores around here lol

Kiwi, I've actually given thought to a concept like that. Being a "broker". I make the purchase and ship you the saw. No Stihl rules broken :D
I actually called that Southern States where you got your 241 hoping to get that same price quote. That guy that sold you that saw (David was his name I think) no longer works there. I think they said $480 + tax....which is still a good deal, but not worth the one hr drive one way to save $20. My local dealer said $500 + tax and they are really nice with great service.

I actually called that Southern States where you got your 241 hoping to get that same price quote. That guy that sold you that saw (David was his name I think) no longer works there. I think they said $480 + tax....which is still a good deal, but not worth the one hr drive one way to save $20. My local dealer said $500 + tax and they are really nice with great service.

David isn't there any more. You need to talk to Adam now, and mention my name. He told me a week ago that he'd sell the 241 for whatever mine was sold to me for. Adam gives me better prices than David did.

David isn't there any more. You need to talk to Adam now, and mention my name. He told me a week ago that he'd sell the 241 for whatever mine was sold to me for. Adam gives me better prices than David did.
Well, I may call again lol. Thanks.

I run a MS260 with a 16" .325" bar with a 8t rim drive. Nice balance and cuts like a fiend. It's the only 026/260 saw I have with a .325 chain, the others are wearing 3/8 chains.
My 036/360 saws don't see as much use anymore, as if I need a bigger saw I grab one of my 044/440 saws.

I run a MS260 with a 16" .325" bar with a 8t rim drive. Nice balance and cuts like a fiend. It's the only 026/260 saw I have with a .325 chain, the others are wearing 3/8 chains.
My 036/360 saws don't see as much use anymore, as if I need a bigger saw I grab one of my 044/440 saws.

Ditto except my 036 gathers dust bc of the MS241. Planning to add a 440 to make my 3-saw combo 192-241-440. I’ll tell my wife I’ll sell the 036. But I never will. (Ask me how I ended up w two pickup trucks.)

I’m in softwood land w not much more than 24” diameter, but the 036 bogs down sometimes on the big stuff. The 241 is surprisingly versatile and originally intended to replace a 211 that I ran into the ground around the wood pile. Literally. Ran over it w the tractor and it was never quite the same.

Update: I ended up ordering a 241cm with a 14" bar.

I first went to home cheapo and handled some Echo saws. They somehow felt heavier than I expected, felt cheap, and I just couldn't get excited about them at all. And if I did get one I was going to go with the 361P, which is $400.

A few days later I handled a 241cm w/ 16" bar and I really liked it. Overkill helped me get a fantastic deal on one so I went for it. I'll have it Thursday.

I don't know if it was just my imagination but the 241 felt a lighter than the specs. And when filled up there's less gas and bar oil than the 261 reducing weight futher. I'm looking forward to putting it on the scale and using it side-by-side with the 261.

It's a little silly having 2 saws so close, but I'm still psyched. Once I buy a 70cc the 261 might not see much use, but we'll see how it plays out.

Thanks again overkill!

I first went to home cheapo and handled some Echo saws. They somehow felt heavier than I expected, felt cheap, and I just couldn't get excited about them at all. And if I did get one I was going to go with the 361P, which is $400.

A few days later I handled a 241cm w/ 16" bar and I really liked it. Overkill helped me get a fantastic deal on one so I went for it. I'll have it Thursday.

I don't know if it was just my imagination but the 241 felt a lighter than the specs. And when filled up there's less gas and bar oil than the 261 reducing weight futher. I'm looking forward to putting it on the scale and using it side-by-side with the 261.

It's a little silly having 2 saws so close, but I'm still psyched. Once I buy a 70cc the 261 might not see much use, but we'll see how it plays out.

Thanks again overkill!

You may be surprised. My 50cc saw does the heavy lifting, but I use the 33cc saw for limbing and smaller stuff. Power is nice to have, but can be overrated when fatigue from the added weight is taken into account.

Thanks again overkill!

I thought the same thing, but it simply wasn't the case. Over 50% of my use is still with my 261.

Thanks again overkill!

You're very welcome buddy! I hope you love yours as much as I do mine. Send me your address and I'll get your 7 tooth sprocket on the way.

I think a 60cc becomes too big to be tossed around all day like a 50cc but isn't bringing nearly the power or capabilities of a 70-80cc. IMHO it's the red headed step child in the bunch.

Just for preservation sake... here was the poll result as of today when the saw arrived. Still nearly a dead heat!

261 with 16" bar: 5
241: 9
Echo: 8
Other: 5

upload_2018-6-7_22-53-25.png

Latest posts

Back