Which small saw, and advice on 2-3 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw would you prefer for limbing?

• 16" bar on your Stihl MS-261 (50cc) and stop being a baby

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Stihl MS-241 with 16" bar

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Stihl MS-241 with 14" bar

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Echo CS-361P with 16" bar

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Echo CS-361P with 14" bar

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Echo CS-352 with 14" bar

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other (specify in a post)

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
Well you picked one of the top two in the poll.

If I ever come across a "too good to pass up" deal on a 241 I might snag it and run a 14" B&C and then drop my 261 to a 18" B&C, that way I won't have to run my 201T as my smaller limbing saw any longer.

I have a 3 saw plan: 12” CS-2511T with a spare 10” bar and chain, 14” CS-361P, and 20” CS-490.

With a 5 saw backup plan: 12” Homelite XL2 automatic, 14” Stihl 009L, 16” CS-352, 16” Dolmar PS-421, and 18” Poulan 3400.

And a 1 saw backup to the backup plan: Craftsman 2.3 16” Solid State.

Wouldn’t mind a bigger saw....just in case.
Maybe a 3700 p&c in the future.
And at any given time, more could be added to the backup to the backup plan. Thinkin something blue and something yellow.

None of the above. The best small saw IMO is a cordless electric. For those frequent occasions when I want a small saw, I’m usually just cutting up something 8” or less that’s blocking a driveway or needs to be cleared from a yard. For that a cordless electric is more than capable enough and is considerably less troublesome than a gas saw.

I also use a cordless saw while splitting wood. Whenever I get one of those splintered pieces that’s held together by multiple strands of wood the electric saw makes quick and quiet work of it. You can use them indoors as well.

My own 3 saw plan would be a Milwaukee cordless for the small jobs, Stihl 461 for all around use, and something 100cc+ for milling.

Then again, why limit yourself to three saws? I’d recommend buying a saw whenever a bargain presents itself and funds permit and once you get half a dozen or so selling off the ones that don’t do anything for you.

I picked up a partner 40cc/16” bar $125 on eBay. My line up is changing. It’s a Swedish thing.

Ported 241c 16” bar 3/8 picco ... ported 461R 20” bar 3/8 RS and 25” and 32” bar/chain for larger felling ... should cover all and make quick work of any job !

husky 242 or 246, I think this may be my next saw purchase. I want a 70cc mac but I need a smaller saw for limbing and such more. 15,000+ rpm's is a true "limber" in my book. I missed out on the husky the other day. Gonna try my best to not let the next clean 242/6 slip by. I'm thinkin a 16-18" Japanese light weight bar on the 242/246.

Got a oleo mac 931 top handle with a 14" and it is a pretty good saw for limbing, but I also got to use a 262 husky with a bar about 14" and was surprised how nice it was to use.

I picked up a while back four Husqvarna 570 xtorq saws in the $225/$300 range used but looked excellent. One needed a clutch drum bearing it froze up and squealed. The second one runs no problem. Number three and four we haven’t fired up yet. My point is there’s some great buys out there yet. Check out ebay. Make an offer. If they have a video of it running watch it.

That’s a Hotsaws101 insane-0 ; I did do a “flow enhancement” to it though lol !!!
Don't forget to say the patented "razor-sharp" chain you put on your saws lol.
Why did they give you the boot at firewoodhoardsclub mr fabz.
I do like the 241, they put a grin on your face.

Don't forget to say the patented "razor-sharp" chain you put on your saws lol.
Why did they give you the boot at firewoodhoardsclub mr fabz.
I do like the 241, they put a grin on your face.
There’s no “patented” chain on that saw ... where are you getting this nonsense from? Sounds like BS to me !!!

Attachments

• 8588E295-6BD4-49F6-9C24-3284A57C27B4.jpeg
    8588E295-6BD4-49F6-9C24-3284A57C27B4.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 9
What's ups neighbor :hi:.
Hey! A few things here & there. Right now I'm nursing a sore hand which became infected from a severe rope burn courtesy of my horse!! Sorry for the mini hijack. Also, I lucked into some nice Shagbark Hickory but can't hold a saw very well until the hand heals. This thread is of interest because I'm considering a 241 if I can find a buyer for one of my small ones which is unlikely because neither would be cheap.

Hey! A few things here & there. Right now I'm nursing a sore hand which became infected from a severe rope burn courtesy of my horse!! Sorry for the mini hijack. Also, I lucked into some nice Shagbark Hickory but can't hold a saw very well until the hand heals. This thread is of interest because I'm considering a 241 if I can find a buyer for one of my small ones which is unlikely because neither would be cheap.
I think you wood be well-pleased with a properly set-up 241c ! You can cut A lot of wood on very little fuel and at 9.9 lbs run all day ! Definitely a “hidden gem” saw !!!

Good to here all is well, at least sort of lol.
If you need a hand getting that wood/cutting it up let me know.
You can also run my ported 241 anytime you'd like.

Latest posts

Back