Which Stihl saw to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I bought a Craftsman saw in 89'. Factory 18" bar, Not sure the model.. just tossed it. It died 2 years ago. So, I need a new saw. I had thought for the money I was looking at getting the MS311. My friend says MS362, go pro. I just cut wood for heating my house, I want an all around saw that will do what ever I need it to do. After reading countless threads on saws, I thought to get your opinions. Now if a can swing it, I was thinking MS461 w/30" and 20" bar and chain. I'm not concerned with weight. 1-2 pounds more for the time cutting......I'll deal with it. I feel so scatter brained on the whole subject. What are your thoughts?

biggest question is, what kind of wood and how big is it? the guys in the chainsaw section will give you tons of grief and try to pressure you into a 661 but if you dont cut over 28-32 inch wood its not necessary. bigger isnt always better. the 362 will give you the same power or maybe a tish more than the 311 but will have an auto-tune carb (m-tronic is stihl's name for it). i have a 362 and i love it. the rpms are insane. pulles a 20" bar very well in hard oak or dry ash. i also have a 461 i just picked up this year. its heavier and certainly has more power but my favorite saw for 75% of cutting is my 261. its light and easy to carry all day. if you are cutting an average size of firewood around 18-22" id say the 362. if you are getting mostly 28" wood then the 461 is a better option

If you got by for 24 years with a Craftsman saw with an 18" bar, it would seem that a 461 with 30" & 20" bars is a bit overkill. Sure might be fun at times, but we don't know what all you do with a saw. Would be kind of tiring doing small stuff.

Jakers has some good suggestions with the 261 & 362. I've got a 360 with a 20" on it, great for the bigger stuff but when I'm not in the bigger stuff I grab the 250 & 16". Doesn't seem to take as much as it used to to tire me out as the years go by.

I agree with Jakers.

I have a 261, and do like it. I bought it used, and it came with an 16" bar, and I also have a 20" for it. Most of the time, it wears the 16". Just seems to feel good with it.

For me, it does everything I need. I cut mostly 20" and smaller logs, and it handles them great. It's not a 440, but it doesn't have the weight of a 440 either.

It really does depend on the size wood you are cutting. And in your area, I also have a feeling that the bigger saws will be what a lot of people use, because they always have...

I'm not a pro, but my opinion is that the average guy probably doesn't "need" anything more than a 60 CC class saw. That's a good compromise between power and weight, and can cut some pretty big stuff if you take the time. I've cut lots of ash around 30 - 36" with my old 036 and a 20" bar. Would it be nice to have a massive saw with a long bar? Well, yes, but I can't justify paying that much for something I don't use to make a living with. If you got by with an 18' Craftsman for 24 years, a 60cc (I'm not going into the Stihl vs Husq vs everyone else debate) will more than suit your needs. I would also get a smaller saw for limbing, but you don't "need" to.

Sir You don't need any stihl. Saw .. You need a husqvarna instead ! I'd look at a 55-60cc range saw

I have an MS280, 440, and 261cm. I love the 440, like the 280, but really love the 261! It's got great power, not heavy at all, and it's fun to use.

I picked up an MS460 4 years ago. Sold a Stihl 041 and Husky 55 because I like the 460 so much. I then picked up a Husky 394XP because I started milling some of the logs. I have bars ranging in size from 16" to 36". The 460 usually sports a 20" bar and the 394 a 24" bar. Not often I have to get after a big tree so the 460 sees 90% of the action. When I haul whole logs up to the processing area to be cut and split I break out the 394 just because it chews through stuff with a purpose and saves time. Could I use a lighter saw ... yes ... but I see no real need for one. Using the 460 for limbing gets a bit tedious if there is a lot but nothing to warrant a different saw. You will not be disappointed with a 461 if you go that route.

Thanks for all the input. There were times I wanted/needed a bigger saw, just didn't have the money to go get one. Now that it's dead, I need a saw. For the cost I was originally going to get the MS311. I did look at the Husqvarna 460 Rancher, but I've heard the mid class saw aren't as good as the mid class Stihl. Now I've been told the pro class saw are more even. So since I started this thread I've done a lot more reading, on Stihl saws. I think you're right in the MS461 is more saw than I'll ever need. I was just thinking more power. With the new MS362 having the M-Tronic engine management, sounds nice not having to tinker with carb. Maybe I haven't dug enough, but I don't find many people promoting the MS311 or even the MS391. Are they that bad? I know they have plastic mounts. How are the motors differ? I do have a small Echo CS-301 14" bar, need some work but works well enough for small stuff. For normal cutting I want the 20" bar. I would like the saw to be able to handle a larger bar if needed.

If you like stihl here is what I have.
MS170
MS290
MS391
MS362
I like them all.
But if I was going be limited to one saw, I'd take the MS362 over the others.
The 391 is basically the same as the 362 but the 362 has a few up grades on the 391.
The 362 comes with a different sprocket set up, but the 391 can be up graded.
The power on the 391 and the 362 seem the same.
The 290 is a cost effective alternative and will run a 20" bar just fine.
Not quite the power as the 391 and the 362 but a very good saw.
The 170 is ok for a trimming saw but it's low on power and the throttle is crap.
Again, I prefer the 362 and the 391
The 362 can run a 24" bar, and the 20" bar is perfect for that saw.
The 391 and the 362 are a little more saw to handle, especially with the 24" bar.
The 20'' bar is better but still bucks a bit more then the 290.

Thanks for all the input. There were times I wanted/needed a bigger saw, just didn't have the money to go get one. Now that it's dead, I need a saw. For the cost I was originally going to get the MS311. I did look at the Husqvarna 460 Rancher, but I've heard the mid class saw aren't as good as the mid class Stihl. Now I've been told the pro class saw are more even. So since I started this thread I've done a lot more reading, on Stihl saws. I think you're right in the MS461 is more saw than I'll ever need. I was just thinking more power. With the new MS362 having the M-Tronic engine management, sounds nice not having to tinker with carb. Maybe I haven't dug enough, but I don't find many people promoting the MS311 or even the MS391. Are they that bad? I know they have plastic mounts. How are the motors differ? I do have a small Echo CS-301 14" bar, need some work but works well enough for small stuff. For normal cutting I want the 20" bar. I would like the saw to be able to handle a larger bar if needed.

More power cuts faster, but comes at a cost of weight and safety. More power can lead to more kickbacks.
The 20'' bar is a good size, it will cut most big logs, up to 40" and is long enough to keep you from bending over so much when bucking a log.
My MS 391 and 362 rips through 40 oak logs like butter. There all the power you'll ever need for a 20/24" bar.

I have and have had an 034 for years. Last year I picked up a 461 and love it. Most of my stuff is 12" - 24". I have an 025 for throwing on the side by side and still use my 034 as a back up, but 90% of the time I use the 461. I have no regrets in not buying a smaller saw, I'm actually glad I didn't.

I know I was in same boat I checked out stihl and then husky after testing and talking with loggers who use this stuff everyday for a living I bit on a 562 and never looked back . Now that I've had mine for a while now I would skip the idea of a 362 stihl and get yourself a 562xp .. Lighter faster stronger .. In the 60cc saw range husky owns I'd rank dolmar a close second

Back