Which Stihl saw to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother just picked up a new 362 and I was surprised at how much heavier it was than my old 034 super. They are both 60 cc saws with 20" bars and I would much rather use the 034 super for a day of cutting than that bulky 362. When the time comes for me to buy a new saw I might have to change flavors!

Whoever thinks the 362 is to heavy may need to do some pushups. That is a light saw, as in not heavy.

Its heavy compared to a lighter saw.

Mine wears an 8 tooth rim and 16" bar. The amount of time in the cut compared to the 261 it replaced is proportionate to the weight difference. So Im getting more wood cut using the same amount of energy.

Its a win win.

My point wasn't that it was too heavy and therefore I'm weak. It's just heavier than a 20 yr old saw with similar power. You would think that newer technology would mean lighter with more power. It seams to me they are going backwards in that department.

biggest question is, what kind of wood and how big is it? the guys in the chainsaw section will give you tons of grief and try to pressure you into a 661 but if you dont cut over 28-32 inch wood its not necessary. bigger isnt always better. the 362 will give you the same power or maybe a tish more than the 311 but will have an auto-tune carb (m-tronic is stihl's name for it). i have a 362 and i love it. the rpms are insane. pulles a 20" bar very well in hard oak or dry ash. i also have a 461 i just picked up this year. its heavier and certainly has more power but my favorite saw for 75% of cutting is my 261. its light and easy to carry all day. if you are cutting an average size of firewood around 18-22" id say the 362. if you are getting mostly 28" wood then the 461 is a better option
Jakers, I couldn't have thought and said it better.
Right on the money.

I picked up a brand new Stihl MS291 with 18" bar to replace my old PoulanPro 44cc saw with a 20" bar and couldn't be happier. My next saw will be a bigger one to deal with the occasional 28-38 inch trees.

I have had an MS180 16" Bar, MS260 18" Bar & MS290 20" Bar. I just got the MS260 used and let me tell you it out cuts the MS290 by far and is much lighter. I cut & sell firewood, for me I think an MS261 and an MS362 would be the way to go. I go through quite a bit of wood and the real big stuff beyond 24" diameter doesn't always make sense to mess with for me, so a 20" bar is adequate on an MS362.

Back