Which Stihl saw to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the input. There were times I wanted/needed a bigger saw, just didn't have the money to go get one. Now that it's dead, I need a saw. For the cost I was originally going to get the MS311. I did look at the Husqvarna 460 Rancher, but I've heard the mid class saw aren't as good as the mid class Stihl. Now I've been told the pro class saw are more even. So since I started this thread I've done a lot more reading, on Stihl saws. I think you're right in the MS461 is more saw than I'll ever need. I was just thinking more power. With the new MS362 having the M-Tronic engine management, sounds nice not having to tinker with carb. Maybe I haven't dug enough, but I don't find many people promoting the MS311 or even the MS391. Are they that bad? I know they have plastic mounts. How are the motors differ? I do have a small Echo CS-301 14" bar, need some work but works well enough for small stuff. For normal cutting I want the 20" bar. I would like the saw to be able to handle a larger bar if needed.

I'm a husky/classic poulan guy. With that said, you won't read a bad word nuthin about stihl 461. Go ahead and treat yourself and have fun and be productive! And don't worry about the longer bar, get that too, can't say why it happens, but get a big saw/big bar, the big trees find you! Cosmic truthiness!

Don't be afraid to look at used. I was convinced that I needed new from the stihl dealer. Even bought a MS271 and its a good saw. But since then I have picked up an echo cs400 and husky 365xt for a combined price of less than the new stihl. Just consider used before you throw down the cash for a new saw.

I agree 110%. But not a brand new one, a gently used one that is about 4-5 years old. Then put the HD air filter kit on it. They detuned the newer ones - weigh more and have less hp.

While you might think a saw doesn't weigh much now, if history repeats itself, what will it feel like in 20 years?

While you might think a saw doesn't weigh much now, if history repeats itself, what will it feel like in 20 years?

I'm 45 now, I hope I'm still able to and still are cutting wood at 65.

I'm off tomorrow so going to look at some saws, maybe I'll bring one home. I'll post a pic if I do. Thanks for all of you input.

I'm 45 now, I hope I'm still able to and still are cutting wood at 65.

I'm off tomorrow so going to look at some saws, maybe I'll bring one home. I'll post a pic if I do. Thanks for all of you input.

I'm 53, and also hope to be cutting wood for many years yet.

But now when I go cutting, I grab the lightest saw that can adequately do that job. Even the 360 gets heavy real quick if I'm not cutting big rounds, and if it's limbing I go right to the 250.

Time don't stand still, that's for sure.

For the average firewood cutter MS260 or 261 is fine. If you cut bigger stuff then get a 362. I had only the 260 for a few years and survived even in big oak, but it took longer.

I wouldn't go up to a 461 unless you cut big stuff or have a smaller saw for the small things. My 461 is great, but not as nice as the 260 for small nimble work.

I seriously considered the 261, but the chance of getting another saw is pretty slim. So I bought what I though would be a great "all around" saw. I did do a quick search on Craigslist. Didn't see anything I wanted but maybe a 660. To much saw for my needs.

You need a larger weapon to make that an efficient endeavor.

I agree 110%. But not a brand new one, a gently used one that is about 4-5 years old. Then put the HD air filter kit on it. They detuned the newer ones - weigh more and have less hp.

And not all of those are equal....;)

Nice saw!!! My buddy picked one up a couple years ago and loves it. I was in same boat as you last year, ended up with a used 440 with a 28" bar. I did pick up a couple smaller saws too, but the 440 is hands down the one I run. For bucking, the big bar and a touch more weight don't bother me at all. It just eats its way thru what you throw at it.

Have fun!!!

261 sips fuel and maximizes cutting time for 90 percent of my cuts. For the big stuff, the 661 comes out, but it loves fuel and with a 36inch bar, it wears this old guy out.

So I bought a Craftsman saw in 89'. Factory 18" bar, Not sure the model.. just tossed it. It died 2 years ago. So, I need a new saw. I had thought for the money I was looking at getting the MS311. My friend says MS362, go pro. I just cut wood for heating my house, I want an all around saw that will do what ever I need it to do. After reading countless threads on saws, I thought to get your opinions. Now if a can swing it, I was thinking MS461 w/30" and 20" bar and chain. I'm not concerned with weight. 1-2 pounds more for the time cutting......I'll deal with it. I feel so scatter brained on the whole subject. What are your thoughts?
Get the orange one that says "Husqvarna". . .Husqvarna means in undocument immigrant speak.

Back