which stihls do the pros run the most?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any idea

me right means the pnw wrong means the coast with all the corrupt politicians on it.
:givebeer:
any saw with a shorter then 24" is used by firewood i laugh:dizzy: short barz and sawz under 70cc suck big time. now i have several several short bar sub 70cc sawz just for in tree work and for general trash work. the one thing i have found is any of the new sawz suck when run on the new :censored: :censored: :censored: gas. my old macs run fine.
just me being plastered from saw fumez and beer

ha

me right means the pnw wrong means the coast with all the corrupt politicians on it.
any saw with a shorter then 24" is used by firewood i laugh:dizzy: short barz and sawz under 70cc suck big time. now i have several several short bar sub 70cc sawz just for in tree work and for general trash work. the one thing i have found is any of the new sawz suck when run on the new :censored: :censored: :censored: gas. my old macs run fine.
just me being plastered from saw fumez and beer

HA! Any bar around here longer than 25" will get laughed at.......:greenchainsaw:

Tree service saws

You see what I use. I keep a few saws for employee use only so I have good sharp saws for myself up in the tree and on the ground. We do alot of big takedowns so big saws are important. I just got the 660 which wasn't even broken in for 800 clams plus he threw in a helmet. So I couldn't pass it up. 4 tanks total through it now, runs like a champ!

200t with 338 as back up both with 14in bars for climbing.

359 and 361 with 18in bars for crane and climbing work. both get the same amount of run time.

371 with 20 inch for the bigger ground and crane work. (next 70cc+ saw will be the 460mag.)

660mag with a 28in bar for the good times.

Bloodontheice pretty much summed it up:

200t/020t/020av for climbing 12" or 14"
260 for some climbers/bucket work/crane work 16"
036,361, 440 or 460 for ground work 18" or 20"
The 036/361's are also used in bucket and crane work too along with a 460 used on large crane jobs
066 for the big work 28+
Some 084's, 088's and 075's sprinkled in there too.

If a company runs husky, they run the husky equivalent of above

Loggers run 460's or 660's with a 24" and larger bars nearby if needed.

Well, I have seen a lot of Sithls being used by a lot of people. And there are some odd lots out there:

Ekka climbs with a 440. Yah, he has a fleet of 440s. He is a tree butcher Down Under. An exception though.

Lots of pros use 290s. Yah, the lowly 290. Many a county and city work crews, tree service companies, etc. have a bunch of 290s.

Loggers I have seen and know use mainly the 044/440 and the 036/360/361 (maybe at a 2:1 ratio). They seem to dislike the 441, and are flipping to using the 460 now that the 440 is no longer available. A few 660s and 880s are out there (oddly I have only seen a 650 in the stores and never in use).

Tree service guys here have mostly 029/290s, 026/260s, 036/360/361s, 044/440s for ground work, and 200T/192Ts for climbing.

I have never seen anyone use a 270, and saw a 280 used once. I see a 210/250 saw used now and then. The firewood guys I know use mainly the 026/260, or the 360/360/361, and sometimes a 440 if they are really loggers making a firewood buck. Lots of 440s are on the market around here now. Logging is pretty dead, and now firewood prices are droppng with the price of gas. Which means there are a lot of used saws out there on the market right now.

Bloodontheice pretty much summed it up:

200t/020t/020av for climbing 12" or 14"
260 for some climbers/bucket work/crane work 16"
036,361, 440 or 460 for ground work 18" or 20"
The 036/361's are also used in bucket and crane work too along with a 460 used on large crane jobs
066 for the big work 28+
Some 084's, 088's and 075's sprinkled in there too.

If a company runs husky, they run the husky equivalent of above

Loggers run 460's or 660's with a 24" and larger bars nearby if needed.

You can tell you're East of the Rockies... cuttin' with those minute bars on those big ol' saws... :)

Gary

Here's some of the stihls I've used in the bush that are good work saws

200t 12", best balance, best power
026 16" , same
036 18", same
044 20", same but a 24" on the 044 only when needed
066 24", big stomp and easy to maneuver, but still handles any size bar you throw at it

Twinkle calls itself "Jaws of Death" when Slowp is not around. :monkey:

:hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Here in England for climbing its a Ms 200t poss a 026 or a husqy 338

General saw, 361, 441, 460 or husqy 254,357, 372/ 575 (not many lol!!!)

Big stuff 660 or 595 for really big stuff mostly husqy 3120, never seen an 088 being used.

Farmers, council workers, landscapers tend to run 029 / 026

In general most of us use small bars, the 441 type saws are usually running on 20-25" rarely anything larger.

The loggers use MS660's with half wrap handles, stock bar spikes, and 24/25" bars and full comp chain.
Jeez... I know I haven't been around in a while, but what happened to this site? When did words like 'loggers', 'half wrap', and 'stock spikes' start getting used in the same sentence?

:givebeer: :givebeer:

The loggers use MS660's with half wrap handles, stock bar spikes, and 24/25" bars and full comp chain.
Jeez... I know I haven't been around in a while, but what happened to this site? When did words like 'loggers', 'half wrap', and 'stock spikes' start getting used in the same sentence?

:givebeer: :givebeer:

ones that live east of colorado. Hell If there was nothing but 100 foot + poplar and conifers over here people(I would) might run longer bars and ...

west coast trees are big & round, they have completely different crowns than hardwoods. I dont think you will find a whole mountain side of 20 to 50" crack happy white oaks that are all leaning like 15 degrees out west.
if you took a west coast 660 carrying a 34" bar and faced one up with the lean and started a back cut it WILL explode on you. If you plunged 1" behind your hinge and cut the center out, she will crack. If you wanted to lay one across the hill say 80 degrees away from the lean Just holding 1" of wood all the way across a 34" stump will often ruin a white oak. you are going to have to stump about 30 + trees to just bairly load a truck. crawling around cutting 8 inch limbs in the tops of thoes hardwoods will ware the dog #### out of you

So why on earth would you want to tote around a long bar all day when you can not put it to good use.

As far as wrap handlebars and good dawgs, IM ALL FOR THEM over here

Its just a diferent ball game.

I love west side timber and east side timber is ok.. I live here now so i have to play ball this way.

Its a pretty simple concept.

660 all the way..

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the "loggers" around here are cutting hardwoods for furniture and cabinet making or cutting up wood for log loads of firewood.
No need to carry around an extra 12" of bar you'll never use. The two most popular logging set ups are MS460 with a 20" bar and
MS660 with 24" bar with half wrap handle and stock spikes.

size matters of fact

right coast wrong coast.. dawgs or no dawgs.

from what i've been told

east coast wood is harder

long bars... for slab cutting wood on the ground while standing upright.. well thats what i do. and my back and knees thank me.

yupp

Most of the "loggers" around here are cutting hardwoods for furniture and cabinet making or cutting up wood for log loads of firewood.
No need to carry around an extra 12" of bar you'll never use. The two most popular logging set ups are MS460 with a 20" bar and
MS660 with 24" bar with half wrap handle and stock spikes.

Yupp....and we do it with the most power that saw can put out......which is why we mod.........we love speed over here...:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back