White Pine For Stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been cutting and burning red oak for years and now I have cut my last dead oak tree on my land and I am starting to cut the live ones,thinning and cutting leaners.A person at work said they had a unlimited supply of white pine that I could have.Is this pine going to burn ok in my inside drolet stove?Can I burn it by itself or mix it with oak? Right now I have about 18 full cords of oak split and stacked. Thanks,woodyman.:chainsaw: This is the stove I will burn it in.
attachment.php

it will burn.. boy will it.. and with that being said. you will burn tons and tons of that pine.. burns hot and fast.. super fast.

Very bad creasote level. I would not touch it not even for the campground because it pops like crazy.

Very bad creasote level. I would not touch it not even for the campground because it pops like crazy.

Wrong! If you season it properly and burn it correctly it will not leave creosote. it also does not pop in a stove like it will in a campfire. You will burn about 50% more pine for the same heat you get from oak. it is excellent to get the stove up to temp quickly, restart your fire, and to mix with your oak.

Have no worries about it! I have burned white pine, red pine, jack pine, spruce and all the conifers in this area along with any hardwoods and have never had problems. Its only a matter of how much heat (BTU's) are contained in the different species of trees that you will notice in the burn times.

its good stuff

Like was already said burns hot and fast great for fire starting with the pitchier pieces and if seasond well burns about like alder does. just save the pitch for firstarting as its easy to overfire with pitch around here we have an excess of bull pine or as some know it shorepine all just a sub of sugarpine you can mix it with hardwood to achieve a longer burn but hey if its free and in good supply go for it.ps some of the knots are a bit unruly to split.

I have one really important rule for burning different species of seasoned hard & soft wood. If it fits in the door of the stove it gets burned:greenchainsaw:

RD

That is not true. There is no species of wood that puts out more creosote than another . It is 100% about seasoning.

I use 110 year old pine laths for kindling in my furnace. It pops when the door is open, but once I close the door It magiclly doesn't pop anymore! :D

I've been thinking about trying some pine too.

The pine trees I have to cut are tall, mature, hardly any branches except the top canopy of the tree. It would be nice and easy to cut and buck.

I'm a little nervous about creosode too however I would probably mix it with good hardwood. I was suprised my Jotul 600 manual says to use good seasoned firewood like Pine, Oak, Beech, Maple, etc.

Does it have sap to deal with that gets on gloves, saw, hands, etc? How does it split and season?

:givebeer:

I was under the same impression about pine before I joined this site and saw it's all the guys way up north have. I now have quite a bit of white pine that will be used next fall or maybe this spring.

I'm a little nervous about creosode too however I would probably mix it with good hardwood. I was suprised my Jotul 600 manual says to use good seasoned firewood like Pine, Oak, Beech, Maple, etc.

Does it have sap to deal with that gets on gloves, saw, hands, etc? How does it split and season?

:givebeer:

This time of year, we're almost exclusively burning pine, hemlock, and punkier hardwoods since it's not too cold yet. Previous posts have done a good job debunking the creosote myth and its tendency to go hot and quick.

Jotul is smart to include pine in that list. There are parts of the country/world where species like oak, etc. do not grow.

Most of the pine I burn has been dead for years - no one seems to want it and it just sits along roadsides or piled among the treetops. Sapwood punky with heartwood good and solid. So sap isn't an issue.

Pine is a pleasure to cut since it's so soft. Splits easily too. Nice aroma. I was splitting some of next year's hardwood this weekend while the woodstove was stoked with white pine. The aroma wafting out of the chimney added another dimension of pleasure to the experience. (I'm a man of simple tastes and pleasures :cheers: :givebeer:)

I live near a family that came here from Germany. I was told by the man that in Germany oak is called a "noble wood" and they prefer to burn pine, as burning oak is viewed as wasteful.

if I had pine I'd be burning it right now in shoulder season...instead we're burning poplar, willow, and some dry punky stuff. It's also great in the early mornings when you have to get the kids out of bed...warms the house up fast.

Not the kind of wood you want for overnights or away missions. the good Lord made everything for a purpose.

My experience is similar to Treeco's and others that burn pine. I love it and when it gets REALLY cold, then I switch to birch for those few cold days/weeks as the birch lasts a bit longer while hotter.

No creosote from DRY pine more than any other wood I've burned. Pine for me burns a long time in my Blaze King, I put in 2-3 pieces, splits or rounds every 12 hours or even longer. Secondary burn is excellent and no smoke, but then that's probably more due to the cat converter than the pine? I also burn cedar and also get pretty long burn times from it and not snap, crackle or pops unless it's kindling.

Dealer who sells the Blaze King stove, and has been in the biz for 25+ years, said that he only burns pine, as he likes it for it's ease of cutting, splitting, it's nice heat and low ash. And he burns it in all his demo woodstoves in the store. I concur about the low ash produced, which gives me more time between stove cleanouts over things like birch.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say that pine builds creosote. It is a very common misconception here in the east. It is so common that I think that most people who say it have never burned it - just repeat what that have been told for years. Best reason to not use it is because of the low BTU content compared to other easily available fuels. Why waste your time with pine when there is an oak standing next to it.

If pine is all you can get, by all means burn it. As with any wood, it needs to be properly seasoned.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say that pine builds creosote. It is a very common misconception here in the east. It is so common that I think that most people who say it have never burned it - just repeat what that have been told for years. Best reason to not use it is because of the low BTU content compared to other easily available fuels. Why waste your time with pine when there is an oak standing next to it.

If pine is all you can get, by all means burn it. As with any wood, it needs to be properly seasoned.

:agree2:

I probably should keep telling people not to burn it since this would be in my own best interest. :cheers:

Man do i feel stupid i have passed on so much good pine over the years because
everyone said dont burn it because of the sap .

Man do i feel stupid i have passed on so much good pine over the years because
everyone said dont burn it because of the sap .

Don't beat yourself up about it. I've done it too. So I guess that makes me a sap, too. :)

The first year I burnt any pine for anything more than kindling, I bucked pieces between the whorls since the greatest sap concentration is in the knots. In retrospect, I just made more work and wasted wood. oops. :(

I believed pine was bad. I heard it from my father, grandfather and uncles. My next door neighbor burns nothing but Lodgepole Pine and he has his chimney cleaned once a year same as I do. No more buildup of creosote than my chimney. So this year we have gone cutting together and I'm going to mix some of that pine in with my oak. So far it seems to burn as hot, just not as long as oak.
Dok

Latest posts

Back