White Pine For Stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in Colorado for five years. Only thing I had was pine. Pine beetle damage was EXTREME so there was a lot of wood to be had. I cleaned the chimmey twice a yr. but never saw much build up. Everywhere else I lived I had access to oak, hickory, and maple. Moved here to N.C. about 8 yrs. ago. First 2 years, burned pine since previous owner had it stacked all over the place and there was a lot of blow downs. Again, cleaned the chimmey twice a yr. No problems. I'm burining the hard woods now (TONS more heat out of it) but still clean the chimmey twice a yr. No difference in the crud I clean out. So, go ahead a burn it. As others have said, make sure it's seasoned and make sure you have a LOT of it.

Later,

Lots of wood myths are going up in flames!:)

I believed pine was bad. I heard it from my father, grandfather and uncles. My next door neighbor burns nothing but Lodgepole Pine and he has his chimney cleaned once a year same as I do. No more buildup of creosote than my chimney. So this year we have gone cutting together and I'm going to mix some of that pine in with my oak. So far it seems to burn as hot, just not as long as oak.
Dok

I would love to know the origin of the myth, or at least a credible theory. Most myths have some basis in real experience somewhere.

We have Virginia Scrub and Short Leaf pine native here. I had rather burn Red Oak because it lasts longer. But, my father heated his house with a wood stove for many years and said he would just as soon burn Pine as anything.

Burn dry wood and keep enough air on it. If you fill the stove up and turn the air off to try and make Pine burn as long as Oak or Hickory you will get creosote. Simple as that.

My Motto

The more you burn, the more you learn.
I burn anything, pine, spruce,ash, oak, beech, alder.
I don't care, it's all seasoned and I didn't pay for any of it. so it don't matter if it is hot and fast or slow burning.

I wouldnt be concerned with burning pine. I would burn more during day and save oak for evening. Like Lorax says practice and try mixing different ratios. I dont think the"pine plugs chimney"myth is true. I burned white pine at the beginning of last winter and pipe didnt plug up any worse.:)

Wood is wood is wood......it's all about density. All well seasoned wood gives exactly the same btu's per weight. It's just that hardwoods weight 2-3 times more per volume than softs. :cheers:

two weeks after i bought my house i got laid off. took me 5 months to get another job. the first winter we spent in this house i burned one hell of alot of free pine skids. it was a pita feeding it all the time but it got the job done, and the house didnt burn down.

Ok so i decided to do an experiment

My dad has a ton of bull pine that his buddy jeff hauled over by the truck load im guestimating about 50 cord worth well the otherday my step brother and his buddy decided they was gonna cut some and sell it . So nice bro that I am I watched him and his buddy cut and split 2 cord by hand with mauls while I kept the beer in hand ashuring them the whole time that indeed it did look like hard work so to help them out I held down one of the cold decks while I was havin some suds . in the end being as gernerous as i am I offered to buy a cord for $100 well i actually ended up with a cord and a face but hey their newbies :) so I have been burning this pine keep in mind its seasoned for 2 years in log form nice dry stuff . my initial impression was that it sucked wouldnt burn for nothin just a small flame and very little smoke . till today I discovered the trick bigger coal bed with the red cedar then add the pine man this stuff is awsome im getting 6 to 8 hour burns per 2 sticks of this stuff and I have never had so much warmth come out of this lopi its 82.7 degrees in the house and 36.6 outside ive got it about choked out to half throttle on the stove and the best part my glass isnt black with all the resin this stuff is great I am gonna go get a few cord of logs and bring them up here to split in my shop over winter however I will invest in a wood splitter aint no way im swinging a maul into that knotty stuff .:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
The more you burn, the more you learn.
I burn anything, pine, spruce,ash, oak, beech, alder.
I don't care, it's all seasoned and I didn't pay for any of it. so it don't matter if it is hot and fast or slow burning.

It is a fact that Ireland has no snakes, no trees, no real Guinness (sp.). Now turf............:clap: Ask my cuz in Castletownbere.:givebeer:

Now for Pinus Strobus: we save the stuff for sawlogs--paneling, flooring, furniture, timber frames. Too good to waste on firewood. For shoulder season softwood, we burn spruce, fir; it's all we got. :cry:

That ....Booga character has one big O.C.D.:agree2:

Latest posts

Back