Who burns hedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fletcher, actually lived in Hawaii for 5 years thus the name.

Monkey Balls is what we called them in PA as a child.

We always called it hedge. It is good stuff, but everyone is so crazy about around here I pretty much leave it alone. I have about half a cord mixed in with my mulberry, ash, hackberry, and oak. I personally dont think its worth the worry over the sparks in my closed door-system fireplace with heatilator ducts, but thats because I have a huge abundance of mulberry. Mulberry is in the same family as hedge, but not quite as many btu's and doesnt spark quite as much. I will say one thing, if I had access to 10 acres of it to cut, I'd be all over it. Wood is wood.

Bowed ark is how I have always said it and horse apples
the fruit looks like martian brains:laugh:
Whatever you do don't try to burn cut old fence posts made from it,
this wood petrifies ever burn a rock? I have seen petrified osage and
it don't burn.

osage is a fine looking wood for cabinets, tables, and such.
It works well with sharp hand and power tools.
i think it is far to nice to burn. mill it and then build stuff.

No osage splits good except knots I get confused when people call it
hedge as I call hedge a different thing a shrub. Osage does burn hot
but with many sparklers not for a fireplace. I sure wish I had some
good clean straight logs of it for bow staves, it is the best bow wood.

I read that in the Old West, a good Osage Bow traded for a horse and blanket.

osage is a fine looking wood for cabinets, tables, and such.
It works well with sharp hand and power tools.
i think it is far to nice to burn. mill it and then build stuff.

I had a friend that had cabinet's built from osage for a show van. It truly is a beautiful wood and hard as a rock. I have access to more of it then I could cut. I would like a saw mill just for the purpose of of doing new cabinet's and floors in my house.

I read that in the Old West, a good Osage Bow traded for a horse and blanket.
Aint no horse worth mine maybe a team of good mules but no
horse that is not kin to easy jet:laugh: They are tough to build
and tiller but make fine weapons.

This is mine it is buffalo sinew backed osage!

Last edited:
Looking for some Hedge seeds.

A little OT but I am looking for some hedge seeds, I would like to try growing them here, does anyone have any that I could buy from them?

Lorax, check your PM's

I wouldnt burn Hedge in an open fireplace because of the sparks. But I do burn Hedge ( when its really cold ) in my woodstove. The little stuff goes in of a morning to get thing going really well and the bigger chunks are for good heat all night long. For my own use I keep everything down to the diameter of my thumb. I havent found another wood yet that can heat like it does.

A little OT but I am looking for some hedge seeds, I would like to try growing them here, does anyone have any that I could buy from them?

The seed's are the hedge apples that fall from the tree's. Keep in touch with me for when they fall off the trees later on this summer and for the cost of shipping I will send you a couple of fresh apples as we call them. There are many many seeds in just one.

#1 IT MAKES GREAT HEAT !!! fast
#2 I cook on my woodstove sometimes and the small stuff right under a burner speeds up the process.
#2a In the summer I use it and Pecan for grilling out side , Mmmmmm !!!
#3 Why waste the resources that I am given by nature ?
#4 Any Smaller than this diameter seems to have the largetst number of thorns.
#5 This size is perfect for a hot burn in the morning to rid the house of any chill before my 2 boys wake up for school. Leaves several coals to put an Oak/Mullbery log on to burn through the day while everyone is away.
#6 Why not ? I don't cut for a profit, but for the exercize and enjoyment. Any wood sold is a side thing to help people out with as a 'Service'.
#7 IT MAKES GREAT HEAT !!! fast

Latest posts

Back