Who else waits ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut/scrounge whenever the opportunity comes up but I prefer splitting in the summer, I must have some Mexican blood in me because the the hotter it gets the more I like working outside.

We like to get out ATV riding and we save all our free weekends in the Spring/Fall for that.

This year I was able to get most everything blocked and piled up in the spring and this fall I have been hauling splitting and stacking very little wood gets done in the summer heat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Any of you fellas wanna venture to mid-Ga and split while it's a cool 70-75 high temps? If ya get a start before daybreak, you can catch some high 50's to low 60's. Hell, I'll even provide the water or Gatorade. :laugh:. I'll go one step further, I'll buy all the Bud Light you can stand...and fire the grill up every evening for the groceries. It'll get cool enough here in another month so we can cut and split without a wheelbarrow of sweat, then the cold will set in...about end of Dec thru April. Not sayin a inside fire may not get cranked up by then, just playin the normal, 'the planets going to ****, El Niño, global warming my ass, typical BS' that goes on in the 'other' forum. Funny as hell to me...wanna ***** about all that ****...but when the damn house is cold...the damn house is cold. I guess those fools think the cold should either set in at a certain date or not...and if it don't...aww hell, gotta be something to do with some global warming or local plant smokestack. LMAO.

I'm sure my bro Spider would agree...:laughing:

Harvesting firewood is like harvesting a deer, if you wait til you get a round tuit, it's too late so here have one on me.....

round-tuit.jpg

I cut my wood in late January early February when the mud is frozen between 10-30 degrees im cutting and splitting mostly in a light jacket with jersey gloves and a ball cap to keep my balding thin head covered. I cut a little from March through December but only if the wood is free or easy to access otherwise i don't .

Got snowed out of my wood lot in early March once.

One morning I had to shovel a path to the edge of my lawn to cut down a red oak which I was burning that afternoon.

Very happy now each morning I look out my kitchen window and see at least a years worth of wood sitting cut, split, and stacked...and another needing splitting (I'll get a round tuit once other fall yard cleanup work is done.)

I was splitting wood today that I should've had done by mid summer. I'm way behind but usually have at least a three year supply on hand. Then I went out and shot a deer because the freezer needed filling too. (was up in the stand 4 minutes. Hardly worth the climb)

I can't be 100% sure because I've never tried... but I don't think my saw will start in June, July, or August.
Get a better saw then! Mine will and has........89 degree day in July, was chopping up a 30"+ diameter burr oak to test my new splitter out on. Nothing a few carefully placed fans can't handle to get through the day. :chainsaw::chop:

I cut between first and second cutting hay, then finish up right after second cutting. In the spring I'm turkey hunting, in the fall, I'm in a tree stand...usually. This year I'm way behind due to our wet summer.

I cut year round. This year I cut the bulk of next year's wood in 90*+ weather with stupid high humidity. When you are primarily scrounging wood, you gotta jump on it when a tree comes along....weather be damned.

I like to cut from Columbus Day through early December, later if the snow doesn't pile up. A daytime temperature in the 40's is perfect, any warmer and I start to sweat. If I have to wear a heavy coat to cut wood, that's not happening either. Three or four inches of snow is about my limit as well, any more than that and the trails get too slippery to navigate.

I'm 3 years ahead, but I have been getting out to the woods since spring cutting up the blow downs and bringing out the rounds. Weather has been ideal for me the last couple of weeks, in the 50's, so I have also been knocking down a few trees in an area that I'm trying to thin a bit. Been stacking the rounds on pallets for splitting next March/April. I like to know the wood is there to replace what I'm burning this winter. Usually a little over 3 cords gets me thru a season.

I cut year round. This year I cut the bulk of next year's wood in 90*+ weather with stupid high humidity. When you are primarily scrounging wood, you gotta jump on it when a tree comes along....weather be damned.

For the first time in the 17 years of owning my house, I can say I'm a year ahead. Thanks in large part to this forum. Now I cut year round, in years past my brother-in-law and I would scrounge for wood in the spring and summer for the upcoming winter. Undoubtedly I would run low on supply and head out to find more. Not this year! No sir, I've got 5 cord C/S/S ready for this year and another 4 cord C/S/S for next year. I'm always looking for a score and have to admit I've gone a little over-board. My wife thinks I'm a complete loon, see thinks I've become obsessed with firewood.

For the first time in the 17 years of owning my house, I can say I'm a year ahead. Thanks in large part to this forum. Now I cut year round, in years past my brother-in-law and I would scrounge for wood in the spring and summer for the upcoming winter. Undoubtedly I would run low on supply and head out to find more. Not this year! No sir, I've got 5 cord C/S/S ready for this year and another 4 cord C/S/S for next year. I'm always looking for a score and have to admit I've gone a little over-board. My wife thinks I'm a complete loon, see thinks I've become obsessed with firewood.
So what point is your wife trying to make?:crazy2:You sound perfectly normal to me and most everyone else here:numberone:

In no way are you crazy. Just as it is important to keep extra food, and toilet paper, extra firewood could in the right situation save a life. In dire situations firewood would becomes a valuable commodity and could also be used to barter with. Think of being years ahead as having money in the bank. Mite want to keep some extra shotgun shells too so you can keep the looters away.

Here's a good read.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110203083100AARZzVS

I would cut year round , I prefer the colder weather but it's a royal pain trying to get around the woods in 2-3 ft of snow. So usually end up cutting from Apr thru Dec. Maybe if I had some bias ply tires....

Back