who needs help for storm work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested in going after a storm for the experience alone, well not quite but if the money was there to justify the gamble I would give it a go. What to bring? log truck with trailer, skidsteer and grapple, bucket truck, and alot of rigging gear and saws. just thinking aloud here. How much fuel do you guys bring? like a 275g on a trailer? What can be generally made daily with the right equipment? Just a ruff estimate would be sufficient. My thought is I will need a good amount of money just to get me there and hold me over untill the money starts coming back in, so how long untill you can expect to see some actual cash back in your hands? not checks. oh yeah, stump grinders, I have 2 a portable walk behind and a big duetze diesel tow behind. Which one should go. I have more questions but thats the basics for now.

The 10:00 news said that morgan city got hit the hardest.

1009 miles according to mapquest from me at 6mpg x 2 for two trucks with trailers = around $1,500.00 in fuel alone (ONE-WAY) to get down there plus food and lodging. Is it even feasable to travel that far for storm work? Seems un-likely but in the 11 years I have been in the tree industry I have never traveled for work so I do not really know what to expect for profit VS expensies.

Last edited:
I will only travel to NC if theres a storm I wouldn't want to go no more than 300 miles. I have a 7 month old daughter at home wouldn't want to leave for long periods of time. But in my opinion it would take a long time to recoop what you spent depending on how many other conpanies are there you possible could be in the negative by the time u left. in my opinion but im not a storm chaser.

tips from the master,

1) stop thinking about chipping, or hauling for FEMA!! move downed trees to street, remove hazards, move on! let locals finish the little stuff. take checks, cash at local banks, deposit cash in your own bank account. this is all you need to do to protect yourself. bad check? swear out a warrant while you are there, but this has never happened to me.
2)do not spread yourself too thin, if you take 5 pieces of equipment, and 2 people, you will spend too much time trying to finish one job, while losing out on profit margin.
3) carry everything, you might not be able to buy anything.
4) pick affluent, heavily damaged area, bid low to start working, and be visible and be nice to everyone, especially mean people.
5) stop worrying, roll the dice, and work 16 hours a day every day. do not drink, or drug, or allow anyone else to.
6) if you spend $2000 to get there, and set a daily goal, $500 - $1000 a day per man, you will profit. you might have to camp, you might live on the beach like us in a rental house, but be prepared to rough it. only do what you are good at, and leaving bids everywhere only hurts others later.

it ain't no picnic snowflake, but I have made up to $15,000 a day without gouging with good men, and a crane.
we will make $5,000- $10,000 a day no problem on this one with 4 guys, and the way we are set up, it could easily be better.

but I am the master at setting up and selling, and I live for pressurized wood.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I have no crane or anything but I would be happy with 5,000 a week...lol and haul after most of the hazards are taken care of. In my opinion hauling wouldn't really be beneficial due to fuel prices being where they are.

Last edited:
tips from the master,

1) stop thinking about chipping, or hauling for FEMA!! move downed trees to street, remove hazards, move on! let locals finish the little stuff. take checks, cash at local banks, deposit cash in your own bank account. this is all you need to do to protect yourself. bad check? swear out a warrant while you are there, but this has never happened to me.
2)do not spread yourself too thin, if you take 5 pieces of equipment, and 2 people, you will spend too much time trying to finish one job, while losing out on profit margin.
4) pick affluent, heavily damaged area, bid low to start working, and be visible and be nice to everyone, especially mean people.
5) stop worrying, roll the dice, and work 16 hours a day every day. do not drink, or drug, or allow anyone else to.
6) if you spend $2000 to get there, and set a daily goal, $500 - $1000 a day per man, you will profit. you might have to camp, you might live on the beach like us in a rental house, but be prepared to rough it. only do what you are good at, and leaving bids everywhere only hurts others later.

it ain't no picnic snowflake, but I have made up to $15,000 a day without gouging with good men, and a crane.
we will make $5,000- $10,000 a day no problem on this one with 4 guys, and the way we are set up, it could easily be better.

but I am the master at setting up and selling, and I live for pressurized wood.:hmm3grin2orange:

That clears a few questions up for me, Thanks!! I am going to wait and see what happens over the next few days. N.C. or even S.C. would be alot more feasable for me on short notice. We average $8,500 a week here for 8-months with 3 guys, so for me and 2 guys to go it would have to be atleast 20k a week to make it worth my while. Something else to consider:givebeer:

tips from the master,

Not getting a little carried away with ourself are we slayer? Lol.

That clears a few questions up for me, Thanks!! I am going to wait and see what happens over the next few days. N.C. or even S.C. would be alot more feasable for me on short notice. We average $8,500 a week here for 8-months with 3 guys, so for me and 2 guys to go it would have to be atleast 20k a week to make it worth my while. Something else to consider:givebeer:

I am still a small fry I average around 3,000 - 3,500 a week... when i grow up I want to be like you... just teasing ... im happy for ya.:clap:

you guys can chase them storms all you want to, I had my share of storm chasing over the years working for the utility contractors up until last January, they didn't treat us very good most of the time in the storm situations, spent many a night sleeping on the head ache rack or in a tent with 500 other nasty stinking men and lived on stale food for weeks so I'll enjoy my time at home for few years then I might start chasing again.

I'd be happy at 7500 a week if all went well. Of course I work on the crew so thats one less to pay I suppose. Thats 5 days of course, I work 7 when I can.

yeah, yeah, just trying to add brevity to the situation.:)

however, search my posts. my success is documented. and I have a lot of storms under my belt. no one else wants to chime in with constructive advice, so, "master climber" whatever.:buttkick:

bottom line, don't go unless you are serious. or or a crook.

however, search my posts. my success is documented. and I have a lot of storms under my belt. no one else wants to chime in with constructive advice, so, "master climber" whatever.:buttkick:

What the hell kind of tree "Slayer" uses the term "brevity"?? had to look that one up and still too stupid!! Lol. Just bustin a$$ friend, lol.

and of course the equipment taken along matters a lot, to the bottom line. heck, we are taking an extra bobcat, and will invest thousands of $ in parts and supplies. we take a lot, spend a lot, make a lot, that"s not for everybody.

I only want to show how good it can be, if you roll the dice.
:cheers:

What the hell kind of tree "Slayer" uses the term "brevity"?? had to look that one up and still too stupid!! Lol. Just bustin a$$ friend, lol.

Bucket Crew without a climber ready to hook up with a climber and head south. My climber will not leave town and does not want to work the hours.

Anybody need help let me know.

Me and 2 of my guys are headed south in about 3hrs. Bucket truck and Bobcat. My climber and I climb. 614.554.8937

treeslayer:
are you down south south already.From what i have seen and read,and form friends in houma tha damage is not that bad.
Then again maybe i"m sitting her spinnin my saw,s
If anyone has accessed the damage please post!:monkey:

Back