Who ports saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You better grab a 55 gallon drum of that..people always take shots at eachother and have absolutely nothing other than hersey to back it up so the discussions stop short when people start attacking other peoples personality instead of discussing saw performance.. i have all kinds of legs to stand on with my opinion...im all over the map.

So do you guys wanna discuss performance or business practice or cyber personality? ... every saw builder on these forums ive dealt with has been square with me..some have done me some huge favors and im grateful.

When i spend 250-300 dollars i want the absolute best for my money , im not interested in making friends on my cell phone so for all intents people on here and other sites are complete strangers to me.

Nothing here is personal with me...nothing at all.

It's hard not to become personable when someone treats you better than a brother, goes out of there way to do the right thing, time and time and time again, etc..

Like CGraham, I have sent saws, or purchased saws and had them sent, to that same Fowl Legged Porter, only to have him find good gains, sometimes fix issues that were not known before disassembly, and send the saw back with other new parts.

I know of 3 of mine, at least, that he's done that on.

I also had a saw that started leaking between the case & the cylinder, almost a year after being ported, and countless tanks of fuel thru it, that this same Guy made right, and refused to accept any compensation for it.

It's hard to argue with that kind of Business Ethics, and it is certainly appreciated.

So does anyone port their own saws for fun?

yep, but it gets less fun when a saw you just built grenades for some stupid reason...

one of the crappiest 372's I've ever made runs great...and the guy that has it now runs it w/ his tree service.

the best I ever built same guy destroyed in 10 minutes, loose carb bolts .... DOH.

hopefully this summer I'll be doing more stuff for me, and less for others. but the idea is to make enough for others and myself to break even $$ wise, though I dunno if i'm there yet!

yep, but it gets less fun when a saw you just built grenades for some stupid reason...

one of the crappiest 372's I've ever made runs great...and the guy that has it now runs it w/ his tree service.

the best I ever built same guy destroyed in 10 minutes, loose carb bolts .... DOH.

hopefully this summer I'll be doing more stuff for me, and less for others. but the idea is to make enough for others and myself to break even $$ wise, though I dunno if i'm there yet!
As soon as you introduce money and obligations it's no longer any fun. Try porting cheaper saws that you don't have to worry about - do you really need 372's for the kind of cutting you do?

Yes and no. I have a 394xp project on the way this week. My intention is to rebuild it, port it, whatever to it, and let it sit on a shelf on the off chance I need it. SOMEONE in the neighborhood will need it someday. My policy towards neighbors is simple.... show up with a saw or a shovel and be ready to work :) it goes both ways.

Most of the cutting I do with my 350's, but since I have my sawmill, having the 385 and the 372 around loaded for bear is always a good idea. Its fairly often I have to hack down a log that isn't situated on the mill correctly... so the 372s help :)

the rest of what I do is for people that I know, and at this point I don't need to take on more work, too many other things to do!

It's hard not to become personable when someone treats you better than a brother, goes out of there way to do the right thing, time and time and time again, etc..

Like CGraham, I have sent saws, or purchased saws and had them sent, to that same Fowl Legged Porter, only to have him find good gains, sometimes fix issues that were not known before disassembly, and send the saw back with other new parts.

I know of 3 of mine, at least, that he's done that on.

I also had a saw that started leaking between the case & the cylinder, almost a year after being ported, and countless tanks of fuel thru it, that this same Guy made right, and refused to accept any compensation for it.

It's hard to argue with that kind of Business Ethics, and it is certainly appreciated.

Thats good you have that kind of experience with the person that ports your saws , its valuable.

But do we discuss group hugs or saw performance in porting threads ?..everybody already knows randy is a generous dude...i wanna see the in and out of why and how things respond the way they do etc etc.

Im not an easily offended person and wish things got discussed without the RPG ( rubber penis gang ) startin with the insults and punk ass responses..id love to see all the dudes that know how to use a lathe and foredom lay it all out and everyone be ok with the fact theres other ways to make these small 2 strokes perform.

Thats good you have that kind of experience with the person that ports your saws , its valuable.

But do we discuss group hugs or saw performance in porting threads ?..everybody already knows randy is a generous dude...i wanna see the in and out of why and how things respond the way they do etc etc.

Im not an easily offended person and wish things got discussed without the RPG ( rubber penis gang ) startin with the insults and punk ass responses..id love to see all the dudes that know how to use a lathe and foredom lay it all out and everyone be ok with the fact theres other ways to make these small 2 strokes perform.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the "RPG" based comments seem to have gone.

As far as hugs, you giving them out? Give mine to someone else.

I've seen a lot on this site, and now another, and I would like to think I've gained knowledge.

I think many of us have gotten more open minded over the last year or so Ryan. Personally, I've learned a ton from guys that I didn't know existed a year ago. Grudges have faded, and people have mellowed....at least I feel that way. I have no desire to become active here again really, but seeing Brads 372 thread dragged off the rails made me sick. Regardless of the fights he and I have had (and many were my fault) no one should be treated the way he has. I came here to say that......and plan to stick around long enough to address any backlash that may come from that.

But......this phone is at 4%, and I'm gonna leave soon to watch fireworks. :)

I think many of us have gotten more open minded over the last year or so Ryan. Personally, I've learned a ton from guys that I didn't know existed a year ago. Grudges have faded, and people have mellowed....at least I feel that way. I have no desire to become active here again really, but seeing Brads 372 thread dragged off the rails made me sick. Regardless of the fights he and I have had (and many were my fault) no one should be treated the way he has. I came here to say that......and plan to stick around long enough to address any backlash that may come from that.

But......this phone is at 4%, and I'm gonna leave soon to watch fireworks. :)

It's about time for another kick in your sack, I see.

I don't think this is a porting thread...the title implies the "who"....not the how...or how well...

And yes...that off the rails and 372 thread sucked. I was curious in that case as to the how...but it sucked so much the "how" is lost. Oh well.

Personally as a guy that ports chainsaws I am a follower not a leader I want chainsaws that work better than anyone else is in the neighborhood preferably better than anybody else in the state but I have no need 2 fully invest the time or the effort to discover how to get an extra 2% out of a saw. If my chain saws are better than stock I am happy even if I don't get as good of a result as the professionals get

It would be nice to think things have mellowed, but what happened to Brad's 372 thread would indicate that nothing has changed. And it won't change because the problem has not been addressed, which cannot happen until those with the problem recognize it.

It would be nice to think things have mellowed, but what happened to Brad's 372 thread would indicate that nothing has changed. And it won't change because the problem has not been addressed, which cannot happen until those with the problem recognize it.
It has to start at the top.

I'm not going to read 15 pages, but I had a 360 ported by a well known (on here) builder.

It runs nice now, but I honestly don't notice much power difference between it and a stock 360. Its louder and it revs quicker though.

My big beef is it wasn't put together right or tested. It leaks bar oil from the case seam and needed a carb rebuild.

Mistakes happen, but when I asked the vendor about it, which on its own was hard... no replies to PMs, emails, Facebook or phone calls for weeks, it was pretty much "oh well".

It was $500 I should have just spent to buy another used saw.

I'm not going to read 15 pages, but I had a 360 ported by a well known (on here) builder.

It runs nice now, but I honestly don't notice much power difference between it and a stock 360. Its louder and it revs quicker though.

My big beef is it wasn't put together right or tested. It leaks bar oil from the case seam and needed a carb rebuild.

Mistakes happen, but when I asked the vendor about it, which on its own was hard... no replies to PMs, emails, Facebook or phone calls for weeks, it was pretty much "oh well".

It was $500 I should have just spent to buy another used saw.
$500 for a port job?

$500 for a port job?

It was a saw I lost the crank bearings in so I had pulled it apart to rebuild but never had a chance to. Sent it to the builder in parts, so he charged $50 extra to put it together. The shipping both ways was about $140.

$300 for porting, $50 assembly (I had pulled the saw apart and run it through the parts washer, crank bearings had let go in it), $140 for shipping both ways.

Add in parts and closer to $700.... ouch!

(Disclaimer... I'm going off memory on the prices, don't stick the lynch mob if I'm off a few bucks!)

Back