Who runs his saws and who doesn't.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gushh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to see a list of names of those who really run their saws, maybe even for a living and those who probably haven't started them up since the first time they bought it, or ever at all -- You know, they keep them on shelves and stare at them for no good reason... That kind of freak.

I would dare say those fellas own dysfunctional saws, since they've never had any wood. :laugh:

To each his own...

I run mine alot. september till the snow piles up too high i cant get around. I sell firewood and do tree removals. I have bought some saws from guys that must have lived in town and only used it once or twice.

I don't run 'em for a living, unless you count the echo qv8000 on the engines and trucks at the firehouse. Mine are purely for firewood for me, the old man, the landowner and well, for fun. All of mine get run pretty much all year around unless i can't get into the timber for the snow or mud...

No shelf queens on my spread, why waste money on **** you don't use that's what women are for

Shelf queens!, I guess some guys have some of those women genes in them because I've seen quite a few just stock-pile saws and they don't even own a tree.

I can appreciate a collector taking his time to restore a saw, for example. But some won't even start them let alone touch wood... That's just plain wrong!

Think about it, if you don't enjoy them now when will you? once you die your kids or someone from your family will toss them out like they're trash. Why else do you reckon you've been able to find some amazing saws for cheap? :rolleyes2:

I've got guns that are safe Queens, saws are for cuttin wood.

like they say, 'here for a good time not a long time, live today like your dying tomorrow' ...& Ill buggered if im NOT gonna use something, just so when I'm dead the next generations can cash In

yikes...you need to do some math....except fot the easier part....electric BTU's are the most expensive you can buy.

I have 220 electric baseboard heat and the highest bill I have ever gotten is $180, my house stays a pretty constant 72F. The wood stove is in the basement directly under the living room, it takes forever to get heat because it has to warm the whole basement first. Then even at that it does not heat much more than just the living room. I suppose if I kept it going 24/7 it would keep the whole house warm but that would take a lot of wood and I have to work 8 hours a day.

I would like to see a list of names of those who really run their saws, maybe even for a living and those who probably haven't started them up since the first time they bought it, or ever at all -- You know, they keep them on shelves and stare at them for no good reason... That kind of freak.

I would dare say those fellas own dysfunctional saws, since they've never had any wood. :laugh:

To each his own...

Well, according to the OP- I'm freak and I own dysfunctional saws, although the later seems absurd if you look at the name beside each saw listed in my sig.:potstir: Let's see the 2153 is brand new and won the build off comparison thread between the 2153, 550, and 261. The 120si is in near mint condition (a true shelf queen). The 2171 is brand new with a 75cc top end. The 288 is in the best shape of any I've seen posted, and the 2095 was completely gone thru with everything replaced. Each was purchased this year and ported. Each of them was started up when I got them back from the builder, drained of fluids and put on a shelf. Simply havent had the time to touch them- This past year, I had a hopital stay in July that left me with a $20,000 bill and 5 weeks out of work unpaid on a couch for an additional $15k in lost wages. Right before the injury, I had hired a Contractor to build an outdoor living space for my wife, which overseeing that cut into "my time" in June. And I've gutted the master bathroom to the studs and rafters and am installing Kari's dream/ designer bathroom currently. I've spent the last half of the year trying to overcome the hospital bill and time off, manage my secular work with being a husband and father, and give my wife and kids things my parents could never give me. I also care for my parents property (all the work around the house), my 92 year old grand mothers property and my own. That said- I am no freak, just like what I like and thankfully am able to pursue a variety of interest. And my interest this month is the 562xpw (west coast version).

Last edited:
Absolutely, like I said to each his own. Sorry to hear about the medical problems, hopefully you're better now -- without health you may as well don't have a thing...

I can see how you'd spend a lot of cash and time on a saw and wouldn't want it to get dirty, but isn't that the whole point? to use it and enjoy it while you can?. You have a point in having to deal with other things, thus the saws get put aside temporarily -- But that's another subject matter. Some people specifically buy saws to put them on a shelf and never use them, I find it hard to understand, that's all.

Then again people collect all sorts of things, never to be used... Guns for instance.

No mechanical princesses around here, at least yet. All get treated like mules, and seem to enjoy it.

Each has its place, with some being well-exercised backups.

Some did their best work at volunteer tornado/hurricane cleanup. Likely more to come, it appears.

It depends on how many saws you have. Some just take up space, others get used all the time, but I can't run them ALL. There's just too many.:blob2:

StihlSaws5_zps785f5c8d.jpg

Pecan40_zps068dc77a.jpg

I would rather be cutting than anything else, I simply have not had much time to put my interest in front of family, kids, and responsibility. The remodeling will eventually get done and most of my responsibilities towards my parents and grandmother wont get under way for 2013 until spring. I had hoped to cut over Christmas break but it rained and rained and rained. I did manage to bring this home before the rain.
View attachment 271162View attachment 271163View attachment 271164View attachment 271165View attachment 271167

Back