Who runs his saws and who doesn't.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only own one saw myself--Husky 51 very well used. FIL and I both have Heatmor OWB's and I try to keep him on the skid steer as much as possible due to his used up painful hands. We also sell 10 cords give or take per year.
FIL has a Poulan 4000 for some bigger stuff and I am the caretaker of my buddy's 6 or so cube Olympik for when I really need something big.

Jeff

Oh I'm not looking for anyone to bow-down to me! -- The entire topic is humorous and everyone is entitled to do whatever they want with their saws, I just thought I'd try and see who runs 'em and who doesn't :)

I can't play the piano at all.

everyone should have at least one shelf queen imo. just to take out for fun or to a gtg or just to sit on a shelf and look at. my 2172 and 2159 do 99% of my woodcutting. the 630 gets used once in awhile but bought that one more as a first saw to start a collection. It was a saw my dad had when i was younger and i hated it when he traded it for his 2063. its more sentimental value than a workhorse to me.

Oh I'm not looking for anyone to bow-down to me! -- The entire topic is humorous and everyone is entitled to do whatever they want with their saws, I just thought I'd try and see who runs 'em and who doesn't :)

I bow to no Man, but Sure would like to shake that mans hand and share a few brews with him.

I've toted a 50" cannon, but opening a beer bottle with a 72 incher just blew my mind!

neither can i but a chainsaw cutting thru one would be music to my ears.:hmm3grin2orange:

The real fun in the chainsaw hobby for me is fixing the broken ones. Ill use them when the opportunity presents itself but at the monent its not often unless im hacking up some 4x4's to test em.:yoyo:

I run my work saws every chance I get. Unfortunately, that's not often enough. Most of my saws are part of my collection though. The joy in them is simply owning them. All but a couple of my saws are 100% mechanically. Some have been fully restored, some are all original.

Ok here is my shelf queen.
271195d1357228830-img_1513-jpg

View attachment 271195

I have saws that I dont run. You can call them box queens. I don't run them because, I do not have the motivation to put them back together. Or maybe I should call them doner queens, that happen to live in boxes.

I work from the house - my work room is 72º right now thanks to the wood stove; outside temp was 7º this morning. Got 20 cords laying around in the yard. You betcha I use my saws, safety first. Makes me feel good. Our property is all cleaned up, which pleases my wife no end, and there's lots of wood to keep us warm this winter. When she comes home from work at night, we sit around the stove and thank our lucky stars we live in the country. Our neighbors all have chainsaws to feed their stoves.

I run mine whenever I can find something to use them on. My usual saw work comes from storm damage cleanup. Occasionally I will cut up trees that are taken down by the utility company and left for the homeowner to clean up. I usually leave a few blocks in the yard so I can cut up a few cookies just to run my saws when I don't have anything else to cut.

I do make the majority of my income being a wood whore. Currently, and thanks in part to some members here, I probably have the best production saw lineup I ever have. It's a six saw plan ranging from a 36cc top handle to the ol' 394. I too use the smallest saw appropriate for the job, but I must say they all get used quite regularly.

Actually, it is six saws plus an Echo pole saw and a cheesy Ryobi blower for those finishing touches. Just about perfect for what I need.

my saws sit in a glass case lined with red velvet for display only :hmm3grin2orange:

The wood stove is in the basement directly under the living room, it takes forever to get heat because it has to warm the whole basement first. Then even at that it does not heat much more than just the living room. I suppose if I kept it going 24/7 it would keep the whole house warm but that would take a lot of wood and I have to work 8 hours a day.

We lived in a house that had a wood stove (barrel stove) in the basement and the owner had cut a register in the floor above it. It wasn't large, maybe 10" x 24" and that allowed the heat to rise into the living room and since the house had a pretty open floor plan that allowed heating with just the wood.

Not all houses are well suited to heat with wood, in most, supplemental wood heat can be used. When we built this house we designed it for heating with wood and that is what we use as a sole heat source. (we of course have backup for when we are out of town). We burn about 4 cords of wood per year and heat three floors from a basement wood furnace. All the heat is spread by convection, not plumbed into the hvac system (although it could be)

We also have a wood stove in the living room but only use that when it is quite cold (temps in the teens)

I cut, split and stack the wood, move it to the woodshed when dry and wife takes it from there. ie, she brings it in the house, makes and manages the fires and gets to select the temperature. Works for us.

Mine are all toys. I have no actual use for any of them. I just like them, a lot. Truth be told, I just like to disassemble them, put them in a box, and move on to the next one.

I got that beat,

tear seven or eight apart over time, parts strewn on two benches.

Then a year later(or more), go out and try to remember what goes where.

Keeps my feeble brain sharp!

One of the nicest car collections I've seen was owned by a guy who couldn't get a drivers license.

Also know a guy that owns a railroad just for fun, but he never hauls any freight or passengers.

Mr. HE:cool:

LOL, Those huskies are nothing but bullies!
Now if only someone would tie around 10 huskies to a sled and... and...:rock:

Latest posts

Back