Who starts their saw like an Ax Man?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bar resting on a log and pulling straight back bussiness is kind of hard on pull cords...Also ends up hogging out/sharpening the outlet on the started cover. Works a little better to just drop start and try to pull directly in line with the outlet. Unless you really dig replacing broken p-cord.

Half of the time I drop start them, when it is a cold start I start them on ground But on my old Mcculloch 1-52 It does not have a trigger lock on it, I have to give it gas to start so I find it best to set the bar on a log like ax men or in the the movie Sometimes a great notion when he trying to start his chainsaw

Sometimes a Great Notion - Incredible Scene - YouTube!

Am I the only one who does the pinch between the legs thing? Never felt comfortable drop starting, and it honestly seems like more work than the pinch. Pulling the cord with the left hand just feels funny... plus it looks like the cord is pulled at a pretty good angle.

This is how I normally drop start a saw, even a 3120 with up to around a 36" bar.
I somtimes pinch the smaller saws between my legs.
[video=youtube_share;c4NFS6T1C4k]http://youtu.be/c4NFS6T1C4k[/video]

Sorry mods if this should be in the Ax Man forum, but it's more about general saw starting than the show...

In the Ax Men episode "Burning the Bear" (s5 ep12), Big Gun starts his saw with the bar resting on a log and he's holding the tank/handle and yanks the pull cord. How does everyone else start their saws?

I've always started my saws on the ground with my boot through the handle like a jamoke, I guess. I find it funny when folks hold the saw in mid air and yank the cord and the whole saw goes flying around. Super safe! I don't see how someone can start a 575 in mid air with the compression that it has. If I'm wrong, please learn me the cool way to start a saw.

Mike

I start my 575 like that all the time. Habit I guess.

Am I the only one who does the pinch between the legs thing? Never felt comfortable drop starting, and it honestly seems like more work than the pinch. Pulling the cord with the left hand just feels funny... plus it looks like the cord is pulled at a pretty good angle.

That's the way I do it. Just seems to be a better method and much better control than waving it around onehanded.

Harry K

This is how I normally drop start a saw, even a 3120 with up to around a 36" bar.
I somtimes pinch the smaller saws between my legs.
[video=youtube_share;c4NFS6T1C4k]http://youtu.be/c4NFS6T1C4k[/video]

Stump I hold with the left and pull with the right as you do, but on my other side with more of a through the saw thing. :hmm3grin2orange:

I usually do the bent over hold it with the foot thing when its cold, but when my saw is hot i'll drop start it. Thats mostly because I don't need to use the trigger lock so I find it very safe.

Some people would rather just push a button.

DSC_0016-1.jpg

Sorry mods if this should be in the Ax Man forum, but it's more about general saw starting than the show...

In the Ax Men episode "Burning the Bear" (s5 ep12), Big Gun starts his saw with the bar resting on a log and he's holding the tank/handle and yanks the pull cord. How does everyone else start their saws? ....

The rear of the saw should actually be "dropped" - but it is a common and effective way to start a saw with a long bar - only remember to apply the chain brake, and make sure it works first!

Thanks for all of the great replies.

As much as I want to have my Grandma start my saws, I might try the between-the-legs method (there's not much down there to get in the way!). That's actually suggested as an alternative starting method in the Stihl owners manual (at least for the 440).

Mike

Latest posts

Back