Who wants to go in on a 54 gallon drum of VP SEF94 Fuel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I may have been mistaken on the "designed for low RPM engines" thing. I found this thread with more info than I've ever seen on 100LL. It does explain why it idles more poorly with poor throttle response. Also explains that additional timing advance may be required to make it perform. http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/44599-100ll-Avgas-Ok-to-run

I would only use it in my saws that set a lot. If using a saw for work, I'd still use pump gas.

Brad....are you going to use a "pump" to get the fuel out of the drum? The wouldn't it then be pump gas? :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2:

I know......too much time on my hands!

Looks like I may have been mistaken on the "designed for low RPM engines" thing. I found this thread with more info than I've ever seen on 100LL. It does explain why it idles more poorly with poor throttle response. Also explains that additional timing advance may be required to make it perform. http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/44599-100ll-Avgas-Ok-to-run

In my drag racing days we used to run the 100ll and 110. The slower burning fuel allowed us to turn the timing up without detination(pre ignition). The higher timing is were the extra power came from, not the fuel.

In my drag racing days we used to run the 100ll and 110. The slower burning fuel allowed us to turn the timing up without detination(pre ignition). The higher timing is were the extra power came from, not the fuel.

Yup, I ran 40 " full advance on a 12:1 355 chevy motor. Ran the blue 100LL or green 115 AV.

Chevrolet has advocated the use of 100-130 octane AV gas for at least 40 years in all high compression off-road applications. Some of these motors will turn 10,000 RPM

The myth that it will "burn out valves" is just that.
you gota remember some people live in a mythical world.....lol....they believe everything they read or hear....

have you ever tried stabil in your saw gas to see how it actually holds up in a saw thats sets around a lot.

That doesn't get rid of the alcohol. I want to be rid of it entirely.

Another issue with Sta-bil is that it doesn't maintain the octane rating of gas. It helps stabilize the chemical structure but the gas still loses its octane rating and resistance to early detonation.

I have no problem with VP Street 100 gas - it's cheaper and not that hard to find it at a pump and I've always got some leftover from the kart motors with 6oz/gal of 927 castor. :)

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-racing-dealers.html

Best part is that it's not high in the super low-boiling stuff that evaporates and changes the density of the fuel. Stores quite well and tuning is rock-solid. <shrug>

For that kind of money,why don't you drive to me,roughly same 2 hour drive, I'll take you to my fuel supplier,you bring the 55 gal barrel and We'll get you Co Op gas 90+ probably 6.00$ bucks or so cheaper? Scott

My race team buys 10-15 barrels or 114 mmo leaded race fuel. Sometimes we get VP but everyone has about the same stuff. I don't know what we've been running lately but it's red in color (VP always dyes theirs blue).

Our driver lives in Columbus I might be able to send some back with him the next time he drives this way. I'm sure it will be around $9-10 a gallon.

Oh, if you want to look it up VP refers to it as Late Model Plus I think.

Usually the higher the octane the slower the burn rate, but it's also dependent on were the octane is coming from. Leaded fuels have a higher octane rating then non-leaded fuels with a similar burn rate.

Running high octane fuels doesn't automatically give you better performance. Higher octane fuels have more potential energy but you have to have higher compression ratios and advanced timing to utilize it.

Running less octane than what an engine is designed for... boom! This one of the reasons racing fuel is more expensive because it's guaranteed to be within a certain octane range.

Back