Who wants to go in on a 54 gallon drum of VP SEF94 Fuel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. So y'all know about vp fuel.

I have a question. I mixed 0.8 gallon of vp c-16, 116 octane w/ lead, with stihl ultra 2-stroke mix. How long should that be stable in the saw?? I am guessing 6-12 months???

Saws seem to run the same but smell better running. Tach reading are similar, have not compared cut times.

That 50fuel would be great if it didn't cost so much!!!

There is no where around here that sells ethanol free gasoline.

CAMBRIDGE MARATHON 90 SALTFORK AND SUGARTREE MARINAS SALTFORK STATE PARK RD 14 and RD 67 not available map details
found this a few days ago surfin around, just type this in your search bar
pure gasoline in oho
and it should be the first link...pure-gas.org

I have no problem with VP Street 100 gas - it's cheaper and not that hard to find it at a pump and I've always got some leftover from the kart motors with 6oz/gal of 927 castor. :)

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-racing-dealers.html

Best part is that it's not high in the super low-boiling stuff that evaporates and changes the density of the fuel. Stores quite well and tuning is rock-solid. <shrug>

Are you running VP100 (AKA Streetbaze100)? That fuel (along with all other 'street legal' race fuels sold in CA) is oxygenated with ethanol. That's what we're trying to avoid here. You'd be better off with VP C10 or some other non-oxygenated, non-'street legal' fuel.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing.html

you gota remember some people live in a mythical world.....lol....they believe everything they read or hear....

I don't believe that.

For an extra $7 a gallon, ethanol would have to damage a whole lot of parts to make it worth the cost of that fuel.

Half the reason I use my saws is to save money...or at least that's what I tell the wife.

Chevrolet has advocated the use of 100-130 octane AV gas for at least 40 years in all high compression off-road applications. Some of these motors will turn 10,000 RPM

The myth that it will "burn out valves" is just that.

Most myths come with a hint of truth. About forty five years ago, they started hardening vales and seats a lot more. No lead in engines previous to this in high load situations can take the valves out.

I just put this VP SEF94 fuel in 4 of my saws. I started with my newly restored Homelite Super XP-1050 Automatic. The throttle response was very poor. I couldn't adjust it out. Before partially disassembling for painting, it was perfect. So I pulled the flywheel back off, recleaned and regapped the points. Back together, and it was no better. Nothing else had changed on the saw, so I drained the VP and dumped in the fuel I normally use, Shell 93 octane. Problem fixed. Throttle response was instant, just like it was before the paint work.

Now I was curious if this was going to be the same story as 100LL, so I drained and filled my 441, 261, and 346. All three of these saws ran great. Throttle response was great, and no other issues.

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm not really interested in running this stuff in my work saws. My only interest in it is for use in my old saws that set most of the time, and here the only one I've tried it in doesn't like it. Bummer! This 1050 has about 185 PSI compression, so that's not it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the ignition timing. I don't know what else it could be.

I'm pretty confused about whats going on. I never ran the SEF94 but it should not run like that and be no different then any other fuel. I run the 100LL in all the old homelites and it runs and tune's out just fine. I have run 93 pump, 87 pump and 40 fuel and they all work fine. Only a very slight change to the L was needed on some saws and other nothing at all.

I'm pretty confused about whats going on. I never ran the SEF94 but it should not run like that and be no different then any other fuel. I run the 100LL in all the old homelites and it runs and tune's out just fine. I have run 93 pump, 87 pump and 40 fuel and they all work fine. Only a very slight change to the L was needed on some saws and other nothing at all.

This 1050 hasn't been in the wood yet, so I'll be doing some further testing.

This 1050 hasn't been in the wood yet, so I'll be doing some further testing.

OK. I have found those big tillys to be temperamental...atleast for me anyways. There are lots of places for air leaks on those saws to and they are very temperamental about them. Make sure you used the smallest fuel lines possible and the nipple in the tank is not broke and sucking air...i had one do that before cause they are easy to break.

Maybe try your 925 and 1130 and see what happens as long as the work saws seem to like it

Brad, my Toro snowthrower has no issues, and it has low enough compression to run on water according to the engine manual. The 460 has no issues with it either. Maybe its a good thing it was a free trial run.

Last edited:
Are you running VP100 (AKA Streetbaze100)? That fuel (along with all other 'street legal' race fuels sold in CA) is oxygenated with ethanol. That's what we're trying to avoid here. You'd be better off with VP C10 or some other non-oxygenated, non-'street legal' fuel.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing.html

You might be right. I do know that my fuel passes a digatron test, which is specifically looking for oxygenated hydrocarbons.

http://www.digatronusa.com/adobe/instructions/DT-47FTD.pdf

Does that mean there's only a little, or maybe the tester was bad? I'm not ready to pop for a NHRA test just to prove a point. But it's fairly safe to say that it's not likely that any VP fuel is as out of control as standard pump gas.

All my saws and karts run just fine on streetblaze100. Getting the jetting right is all that really matters. And I'll always take the free compression that castor provides.

I'm not sure that oxygenated fuel requirements are what you're thinking they are. The minimum spec is 1.8% v/v, probably not enough to be significant in most cases. There is no maximum spec and lots of pumps have labels stating the fuel contains 10-15% etoh. Ten times as much, well, yeah...that could be an issue. And since ethanol is currently cheaper per gallon than gasoline, I'm not surprised that it's being used more than it has to be.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/082908CaRFG_regs.pdf

I used to use C12, but at $15/gal it's gotten to be a tough sell - especially considering that at the low density it takes a lot more by volume to get the jetting right. <shrug>

I just put this VP SEF94 fuel in 4 of my saws. I started with my newly restored Homelite Super XP-1050 Automatic. The throttle response was very poor. I couldn't adjust it out. Before partially disassembling for painting, it was perfect. So I pulled the flywheel back off, recleaned and regapped the points. Back together, and it was no better. Nothing else had changed on the saw, so I drained the VP and dumped in the fuel I normally use, Shell 93 octane. Problem fixed. Throttle response was instant, just like it was before the paint work.

Now I was curious if this was going to be the same story as 100LL, so I drained and filled my 441, 261, and 346. All three of these saws ran great. Throttle response was great, and no other issues.

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm not really interested in running this stuff in my work saws. My only interest in it is for use in my old saws that set most of the time, and here the only one I've tried it in doesn't like it. Bummer! This 1050 has about 185 PSI compression, so that's not it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the ignition timing. I don't know what else it could be.

Brad, the SEF made all of my saws run rich and had to lean them out a tad to get them to run right. Throttle response wasn't any different, if there was it wasn't enough for me to notice. It is like this in all of your saws, or just the old Homie?

:cheers:

I'm now looking at another option. I can get Sunoco GTX for $6.38/gallon. It is 98 octane unleaded un-oxygenated fuel. That's a LOT cheaper than the VP stuff and is ethanol free as well. I can get it about 110 miles from here. Might have to go for a trip Thursday.

Very strange. I have the most problems with normal premium pump fuel. One batch runs just fine, the next is hard starting and has a strong ethanol smell to it. It fouls the plug and then the carb needs to readjusted and new plug put in. I can get Sunoco GT unleaded with about a 20 minute drive, but it has ethonal now. Still seem to run just fine though.

I'm at a loss for words, it runs great in everything I own. Anything that is tuned to run on the E10 gas, needs to be leaned out slightly.

Back