who's gonna work on my 441cm ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Brad? Randy? Anybody interested in helping me with this thing :cry:

My poor 441 is not working correctly. The last few days I have noticed another symptom, might prove enlightening. buzzing along doing a cut, and drop the throttle. It takes a bit to wind down, and is almost ready to make that motorbike sound (you know, the buzz, ping-ping, buzzz). on it's way down to what amounts to a idle. Which is going a little faster than it used to... not knowing why.

Last year I tried to remove the carburetor to clean it. gave up, and replaced the fuel filter and ran it some more.

I was just out trying to block up a 17" lodgepole. Get's about 6" into it and the engine dies. Pull the rope and it will make a few more inches, and die again. Something is NOT right here. Air leak? carb not pumping fuel like it should? Ignition?

This saw has cut several hundred cords of wood, and done a excellent job. It has also never seen a drop of gas-o-hol. 100LL only.

I am FAR more interested in the talent of the reputable builders here than I am with what amounts to a Stihl dealer in these parts. I can run without it for awhile. I have 3 more that are running good at the moment.

I was more than satisfied with the power it has. Do I want it ported? I don't really think it is needed. If ya end up with the cylinder in your hand... then might as well do a minor port job to it...

Send me a PM if you are interested in helping me with this. Thanks.

I'll bet it has a torn intake boot......especially if it has been used in really cold weather.

There have been some issues with the 441C. I have seen them suffer from erratic idle, poor throttle response, and fast idle. If you don't have an air leak, I suspect that you need to adjust the little set screw that adjusts when the fresh air butterfly opens. Linkage from the main throttle butterflyhits this set screw and then pushes the fresh air butterfly open. To address the rich running condition, I slightly lower the needle height. I know of another member having similiar problems with a stock saw that is playing with popoff pressure. I can't tell you exactly what's going on here, but there have been a handful of saws with similiar issues. Your mileage may vary.

Back