Who's got the Biggest Baddest Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberthathaway7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Let's see the biggest, baddest, most efficient and/or most beastly set-ups anyone has. Home-made, bought, improvised, found, whatever. If you're proud, say it loud and show what you've got. I am about to make one of my own as big and bad as I can, and I need some HYPE :chainsawguy:

Let's see the biggest, baddest, most efficient and/or most beastly set-ups anyone has. Home-made, bought, improvised, found, whatever. If you're proud, say it loud and show what you've got. I am about to make one of my own as big and bad as I can, and I need some HYPE :chainsawguy:

I'm going to lay claim to the most efficient, and quite possibly the fastest..:clap: Don't get lost in the concept that hydraulic is the only way to split wood.

sshd.jpg

Well on the other end of the spectrum from those cool little flywheel-whirlin' wonders...

I have a friend who's owned a small 1-3 man firewood/clearing business off and on for almost 40 years. He cuts lots of huge coastal eucalyptus trees (all with Big, Old Homelites) and bucks/splits it all for sale as firewood to the local beach campgrounds and general stores in the area. He's built two monster splitters (decades ago).............one with a flathead Continental I4 industrial engine, and the other with a Chevy 292 I6 truck engine. They've been in almost continuous use for ages.

Both are completely scratch built, hydraulic (of course), towable, and handle lots of big wood. He welded up some beefy wing cutters for each of them. The Continental splits 4-ways and the Chevy unit spits 6-ways IIRC. Gotta go to the ranch and get some pics of them I guess...:givebeer:

Stihlman, how do you like that super axe? Does the blade pivot far enough for complete splits?
Dennis

There's bigger out there, but I haven't found the tree yet that can stop mine. CAT 8" cylinder and big old single stage pump hooked to the tractor PTO. Fast it ain't (yet) but it's been gettin er done here since I was a young lad many years ago.

attachment.php

Coming Through

Big Boy coming through haven't found piece of wood to stop me yet...

Did you guys notice the thread starter? Could you imagine the odds of signing on to AS and there already be 6 Robert Hathaways?

What Luck.....:confused:

haha no no I have always used roberthathaway7 as my name on any forum or non security threatening site, easy to remember

looks like some hauses coming through.. 8 inch cat cylinder? :dizzy: and I thought my 5" inch cylinder is going to be overkill.. go big or go home!

Latest posts

Back